Author Topic: turbo upgrade for u13 attessa  (Read 5989 times)

Offline gach2

• antrx.com full member
turbo upgrade for u13 attessa
« on: Dec 6, 2010, 02:37PM »
hey currently have an u13 attessa (import awd sr20det)
wondering what would be a cheap turbo upgrade from the the stock t25
would an s15 t28bb be a straight fit?
also would i be able to acheive 200awkw
with an s15 t28bb, microtech ecu tuned, fmic, 3 inch turbo back
and new injectors running around 15psi?
also what injectors would be the best for the above, 550cc?

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: turbo upgrade for u13 attessa
« Reply #1 on: Dec 6, 2010, 06:23PM »
I believe the T28 sized turbo's (bigger housing's) require some slight modification of the block if used on the stock manifold? Or is that an even larger turbo? SR U13 guys, correct me if I'm wrong.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #2 on: Dec 6, 2010, 10:29PM »
does the gtir manfold solve the block needing mod or does the turbo sit in the same spot? i think i remember reading it sits lower on them or something.
"Noss is God"

Offline lgee

• post whore
  • Attesa Racer
    • WheelTech Racing
« Reply #3 on: Dec 7, 2010, 05:47AM »
Yes the gtir manifold sits closer to the alternator, its more of a tuned length that the origional,but you have to look at other things as well like the zorst doesnt quite line up, the oil return from the turbo to the block doesnt line up properly, you will have to put braided lines for the turbo cos they dont line up, you can put a t28 on a standard manifold you have to mod the front a bit as they are a bit different for the intake pipe, 200awkw not a snow balls chance prob 150 if it a good one, you can run it at 15 psi but it does not make anymore power than what it does at 11psi just looks good on the boost guage and wears the turbo out faster, mircrotech i would stick with nistune, injectors you could use 440cc from S15 they will be all you need, me micka8 luke budgie and kranzy are all running in the 200 or better catagory, we have all tried the "simple" upgrades but they dont yeild much power you have to go to a big turbo to get the power you want, gt2871, gt2876, tdo4 conversion, i run a a hypergear ATR28 G4 trim turbo all these turbos will make close to 270-300rwkw on a s13-15 but only just over 200 on our cars cos the "drivetrain" sucks a bit of power out, we have all been here for years we have all wasted lots of money doing it the other way to get where our cars are now, you can take my advice and save yourself money and heartache in the end or you can make you own decission to choose your path to power, either way we will be here to help you.

Offline gach2

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #4 on: Dec 7, 2010, 12:56PM »
thx for reply lgee
theres no point getting a nistune for me
as i already have a microtech installed (previous owner)
spoke to my tuner and said dont bother replacing it as it does the job
just gonna have idle issues as theres no control
told me only to change if im gonna spend big bucks
which was original plan, but looks like better if i keep it simple
200awkw is now the aim, though may look into a few more if im gonna have to spend more on a bigger turbo.
Whats the most the gearbox can handle? my box has been rebuilt recently though have no idea on the quality of the build (done by previous owner and also been told box was strenghtened, just to factory specs)

Offline Jecks

• antrx.com pit crew
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
    • antrx.com
« Reply #5 on: Dec 7, 2010, 01:15PM »
...box was strenghtened, just to factory specs)

oxymoron?
I'm sick of my knob going all floppy and loose in my hand  :P 
I've been on probation for 21 years, can't make a decision without consulting the wife first  ::)

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #6 on: Dec 7, 2010, 03:50PM »
I'd say he means the standard parts have been treated and hence stronger, so still factory parts.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline gach2

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #7 on: Dec 7, 2010, 04:06PM »
sorry
made a mistake above
meant to say box has not been strenghtened
but standard parts used

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #8 on: Dec 8, 2010, 07:22AM »
Just confirming that if i went out a bought a t28 and say some braided lines for a s13 and had a different intake pipe on the turbo then it would bolt straight on wid no other issues wid just the installation of the turbo??

As for gearbox strength i dont believe they are too bad, lukes ran his on 200kw plus and its held up pretty well i think hes only replace 3rd once. Ive done 6k dump launches on mine a couple of times during a competition and it still works but im only on stock boost and i dont usually launch like that, only did coz i couldnt hear shit through the helmet. I dont remember reading a lot of stories of attesa boxes breaking.
"Noss is God"

Offline gach2

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #9 on: Dec 8, 2010, 09:10AM »
i have heard these and the gtir boxes (if different)
being weak and not being reliable for power over 200 awkw
though it now also seems making 200awkw is not that simple like the rwds

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #10 on: Dec 8, 2010, 11:19AM »
GTiR's weigh less, thats a factor to consider as well... but driver control is the general cause of gearbox failure, unless your unlucky like Lgee :P :)
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #11 on: Dec 8, 2010, 12:04PM »
Having put a t28bb on mine, it's a fairly straight forward process which I easily completed solo in a weekend. Rotate compressor housing, make up new intake flange, modify actuator bracket/rod, i elected to grind the tiniest bit off my block for clearance. Then just bolt that sucker on (with braided s13 lines).

In terms of drive train problems, my input shaft was stripped clean with just the t25 on it. I drive very sedately and it actually happened in while parking so go figure. If you're insane like myself there are awesome gearsets available from PPG and PAR which should take your mind of breaking things for a while. Mind you they aren't cheap and the box casing cracking is still a real possibility without extra bracing.
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline Cheezel

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #12 on: Sep 28, 2011, 09:06AM »
The exhaust flange will mate with the head, but your turbo would be on the wrong side from the exhaust. Unless you mounted it upside down and made it a top-mount turbz? =/

Bosch 040 universal kit (I think they're the 342 model?) will bolt straight in. That's the 255LPH pump.

Don't forget to add a good tune to that list either. :P

Offline Cheezel

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #13 on: Sep 28, 2011, 06:30PM »
Excuse my poor imagination. It looked like it was shifted a lot further at first. Now that I'm off the smack, from an exhaust point of view will your flex pipe be able to stretch that far?