Author Topic: Unknown sensor thingy.  (Read 2156 times)

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
Unknown sensor thingy.
« on: Nov 10, 2010, 03:57PM »
On the back of the factory air box there is a sensor of some sort connected to a plug. What is it for and what do you do with it when you get a pod ?
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
Re: Unknown sensor thingy.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2010, 05:03PM »
ATS (Air Temperature Sensor). ECM may read this as ITMP or ITMPS as well (Intake Temperature Sensor) which is the same thing.

It is used (you guessed it) to measure the temperature of air that the car is receiving through the intake. Its primary use is to retard the timing of the engine if it picks up that the temperature is really high.

Lots of us (inc me) have run our POD's/CAI's without it plugged in without any negative effects. (That explains why my MDM reader does not pick up the Intake Temperature)

If your worried you can position it inside the CAI or near the POD if you want but it hasn't been a drama for me.

Also search before posting as this has been covered well before  :)
Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2010, 05:10PM »
Yeah I was gonna search for it but not knowing what it was or anything it's kinds hard to search for it.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline FuzzyDropbear

• antrx.com senior member
  • L26 Boost Junkie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2010, 09:08AM »
Have you got a copy of the FSM? This as a reference will answer most of your questions about sensors as it describes each one. You just have to look up the relevant chapter.

ie: for the air temp sensor, go to the engine systems chapter and have a browse through there.

Are you mounting your pod straight onto the AFM? or are you making an intake system? I just remounted the sensor in my CAI system, not really that hard to do, but as Habib says, many people have run without one with no dramas.
Datsun boys, we like 'em fast, so we drop 'em low, heavy on the gas!

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2011, 09:46PM »
old thread....... But I just recently bought noss's 3" stainless cold air intake he had custom made awhile back and hooked it up to a JDM pod encased in carbon fibre, looks like a mini jet engine :D anyways he already had a hole drilled and shit so everything was prepared to put the sensor in.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS