Author Topic: Couple of questions for the U12's. I will update every so often.  (Read 4255 times)

Offline BRUCE-TI

• QLD 5 Year Badge!
  • antrx.com full member
  • my car's just out of frame. To the left.<<<<
Does anyone know why the power steering piping runs in front of the radiator?  Is this an attemp at cooling?
'91 Pintara TI Saphire Blue with a unifilter and TSW VX1 Venoms.  Mild but soon to be wild.

"Under steer is where the nose of your car hits the wall and over steer is when the ass end of your car hits the wall. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Yes. It is there to cool the PS fluid.

Very crude but Nissan never intended any heavy steering loads from their intended market, hence the "that'll do" solution.

If you track your U12, replace it with a small oil cooler.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
I have replaced mine with a short hose loop, more than adequate unless it regularly sees the track (or so i'm told!)
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline BRUCE-TI

• QLD 5 Year Badge!
  • antrx.com full member
Yes. It is there to cool the PS fluid.

Very crude but Nissan never intended any heavy steering loads from their intended market, hence the "that'll do" solution.

If you track your U12, replace it with a small oil cooler.

That is what I was thinking after doing an oil cooler

Second question.  What are your opinions of a solid strut brace?  As in, no pivot points.
'91 Pintara TI Saphire Blue with a unifilter and TSW VX1 Venoms.  Mild but soon to be wild.

"Under steer is where the nose of your car hits the wall and over steer is when the ass end of your car hits the wall. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Best for bolt on structural rigidity, but you'd be better off spending money on the suspension first; ie urethane bushes, decent shocks, correct spring rates, thicker sway bars.

Offline BRUCE-TI

• QLD 5 Year Badge!
  • antrx.com full member
Suspension is taken care if.  I have custom made strut have that came with the car, but it is solid. Just do not see many that do not have the pivot points.  Next will be coilovers.

Offline BRUCE-TI

• QLD 5 Year Badge!
  • antrx.com full member
Anyone know what door mirrors fit the U12?  I am thinking possibly the P11 Primera ones  Reason being, one of the Atessa one's does not have any motors and i want the fold back option.

Offline JAWSTRX!

• antrx.com junkie
  • TRX STYLE!!!
i put some maxima mirrors on my trx they fitted ok.took them off cause someone broke my drivers side while i was parked at the shops.
TRX 1-FORD FALCON 0

Offline BRUCE-TI

• QLD 5 Year Badge!
  • antrx.com full member
Right..................seriou sly....................U12 Atessa

Where does the rear window washer get it's water from.   Surely it is not the front one.  But I can not find another bottle and do not want to rip the interior apart to follow the hose.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Gets it from the front one. There are two pumps on the reservoir. A lines runs all the way to the back.

Its the same on both my bluebirds, jap U12 and aussie U13 SSS.

Offline BRUCE-TI

• QLD 5 Year Badge!
  • antrx.com full member
Where is the reservoir located?  Is it supposed to be where the Aussie u12 one is?  Behind the drivers side headlight. I am thinking that mine is not so standard and I have to fix it for rego.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
yep, behind the drivers headlight.

My jap U12 has an extra reservoir behind the passenger side strut tower, which has a seperate switch inside the car... designed for putting something else in the bottle, like 'anti-snow' stuff or some shit.

Offline BRUCE-TI

• QLD 5 Year Badge!
  • antrx.com full member
Well at least i am starting to get a picture.  The one behind the strut tower is there and is now used for the front windows.  The one in the guard is not there at all. But i have found the connections and the tube. Now to start raiding the wreck again.     

What stupid problems to have for roadworthy. 

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Might have been in an accident and the tank in the guard was damaged?

Offline BRUCE-TI

• QLD 5 Year Badge!
  • antrx.com full member
Shit...........don't say that.  But that would explain why that guard is the best painted one.   

But a small couple of things and she should be on the road. 

Offline BRUCE-TI

• QLD 5 Year Badge!
  • antrx.com full member
I keep having major oil leak problems in a sr20 det. It is leaking behind the crank pulley. I thought I had fixed it with a speedy sleeve over the crank pulley to have a fresh new surface, but it is leaking again. Before I pull it back off, what could be causing this?  The pulley had wear marks on it before the sleeve. Could this be out of balance or crank out of balance?  Or could I have some PCV valve issues causing too much pressure at the pump. It is really starting to give me the shits.

Offline BRUCE-TI

• QLD 5 Year Badge!
  • antrx.com full member
Any takers?

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
can you get a run out gauge onto the crank snout, and rotate the motor by hand?