Author Topic: Turbo SR breaking down  (Read 9174 times)

Offline Vithy

• post whore
Turbo SR breaking down
« on: Aug 18, 2010, 11:08PM »
Over the time ive had my bluebird every now and then it tend to have the issue where, as im going to call it, it breaks down and doesnt make any power.

The engine is a u13 SR20 running the stock T25 turbo, 3in exhaust, pod,manual t piece boost control and a front mount. No tune to my knowledge and is stock other than what is mentioned.

Every now and then it breaks down and makes no power usually in cold air with the coolant temp running at normal temp. What happens is below 4k sometimes below 2.5k u accelerate, could be full throttle, 3/4 or even just partial throttle. It will pick up speed but not at the normal rate. Doesnt matter what psi the t piece is set at or even if the cars not running the manual controller at all it will still have the same issue. You can hear the turbo spooling and it will hit boost but it wont go revs pick up reaaalllly slowly till it gets to 4k, 3k or 5k rpm depending how bad it is then all the power will kick back in again and the car will start moving like most turbo SR do. Ill see if i can get a in car video to give an example of what its like to help diagnose the issue.

My initially thought was coz it had a boost leak but ive re done all the gaskets and fixed that and it will still do it. So im not sure if i need a tune or whats going on.

Recently slapped new plugs and leads on some irridium plug gapped at .03in.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. I got the old plugs if they are required for photo incase that might tell something.

Cheers
"Noss is God"

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
Re: Turbo SR breaking down
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2010, 11:18PM »
Sounds similar to an issue i was having.

I would test the knock sensor if i was you. I couldnt work out what my problem was, alot of reading on the net is when i found it couldve been the issue. Tested it and sure enough that was my problem.

I used a resistor in place of the knock sensor. Cant remember of the top of my head what it was.

It would act like it was missing but then once hitting boost it would take off as per normal.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2010, 12:51AM »
could be a whole host of things, but yes start with the knock sensor and move onto other things from there

The Time Has Come To Battle It Out To The Death... SR24 vs KA24

The bluey must be revived to Life!!

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2010, 04:09AM »
knock sensors worth much? if it could be that id be happy to chuck a new one on and see how it goes depending wat their worth.
"Noss is God"

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2010, 08:40AM »
I think they're around 140ish, or could be 190ish cant really remember as I'm still using the resister.
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2010, 08:57AM »
My GTiR motor already has the resistor in place, but its running an autronic ECU anyway. Seems like its quite a common issue.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2010, 10:47AM »
Put a new knock sensor in!!!!!! All of you!

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2010, 01:58PM »
why adam?? when we can all hear pinging :P

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2010, 02:33PM »
any photos or descriptions on where this knock sensor is?
"Noss is God"

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2010, 02:57PM »
I Had a similar problem, knock sensor for me as well.

The reason I used the resistor wasn't so much the price - more the asshole of a location. Essentially it's located under the intake manifold between runners 2 and 3. Good luck :P

IIRC needs a resistor value of either 500k or 1M ohm.

1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #10 on: Aug 20, 2010, 01:25AM »
I Had a similar problem, knock sensor for me as well.

The reason I used the resistor wasn't so much the price - more the asshole of a location. Essentially it's located under the intake manifold between runners 2 and 3. Good luck :P

IIRC needs a resistor value of either 500k or 1M ohm.

hahaha fuck that

well so far ive been testing a theory that it might be over fueling that is the issue. i usually drive round in 5th when travelling 60km and a mate reckons that because of my low rpm i cruse at it, over fuels and thus causes it to drive like a [language filter smackdown] at times. So far ive been crusing round in 4th and the issue hasnt shown its nasty face again yet. does this still point at knock sensor? sounds like its in a great position so will try and avoid that one atm if its not the issue.
"Noss is God"

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #11 on: Aug 20, 2010, 08:48AM »
why adam?? when we can all hear pinging :P

Mate, no offence, but for the good of you all, knock sensors detect knock well BEFORE your ears will hear it.

Fix them up / put them back in; who gives a shit if they are in a [i seem to suffer from tourettes] of a place, it just so happens that the particular position it's located in is the most sensitive position for detecting knock.

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #12 on: Aug 20, 2010, 11:11AM »
Mines not too hard to get to cause I don't have the awd shit in the way.

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #13 on: Aug 20, 2010, 07:09PM »
not offended adam.
i agree with you, mine is getting done since it is all out of the car at the moment.

get it fixed and you'll be laughing, since this is the one item that switches your ECU from hi octane to lo octane maps

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #14 on: Aug 20, 2010, 07:31PM »
and stops you munching rings and pistons.

because if all that happens, ka prices will sky rocket since you will have all seen the light.

lol

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #15 on: Aug 20, 2010, 09:37PM »
lmfao @ ka comment :)
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #16 on: Aug 20, 2010, 11:53PM »
still i say get rid of the "Old" KA and move up to a real engine :P

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #17 on: Aug 21, 2010, 03:59AM »
heres a video demonstrating what i mean, mainly for audio purpose video doesnt really show shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuHrtGgULaU
"Noss is God"

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #18 on: Aug 21, 2010, 04:50PM »
hmmmmmm, that sounds more then a knock sensor to me....... do a service on it and change all your filters ie: fuel, oil etc
check your fuel pressure also as could be the regulator.
check the hoses on your cooler piping for cracks of any type, even a small hole can do this

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • sth. oz local moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #19 on: Aug 21, 2010, 07:05PM »
Boost leak? Have you done that test I showed you on the black U13 in Balaklava that time?
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #20 on: Aug 22, 2010, 03:27AM »
its been doing that on and off ever since ive had the car. as i said mainly when its cold. ive change the oil just the other wk, fuel filters been change not long ago aswell. ill retest for a boost leak since havent done one since i redid all the gaskets yet. im thinking its fuel related but i dont noe nothing. driving round in 4th rather than 5th has basically minimized the issue showing its nasty face.

The more i put the car in the situation to do it the worse and worse it gets. But if u pull over turn the car off for say 5 min and drive again it comes good again for a while then starts getting worse and worse if u keep teasing it.

boost leak would make sense, its always had one since i had it and only recently got bad enough and made the car sound like shit before i found motivation to sort out all the gaskets, going to be devo if its leaking from the manifold to turbo gasket AGAIN :(
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2010, 03:36AM by Vithy »
"Noss is God"

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #21 on: Aug 23, 2010, 08:02PM »
Well i just finished testing for a boost leak and its leaking slowly again by the sounnds down near the turbo. Which brings me to the question, if i pressurise the intake system and its not leaking from the gasket thats between the cooler piping and the turbo and its not leaking from the intake pipping thats clamped to the turbo that the afm is hooked onto it, if those two are all good and its leaking from elsewhere around the turbo is that normal? and if so what else could it be. coz my mind logic is telling me atm that the rest of the turbo is all exhaust gas related and thus pressuring the intake with air, the air shouldnt be leaking from anywhere else on the turbo normally..... confirm or explain anyone please?? cheers
"Noss is God"

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #22 on: Aug 23, 2010, 09:35PM »
You should have no leaks at all after the MAF.

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #23 on: Aug 23, 2010, 09:53PM »
You should have no leaks at all after the MAF.

well i can hear air leaking from round the turbo somewhere and some how :( and i guess thats wats causing my issues, still guess out come the raditors and i gotta check all the bolts are still nice and tight :S
"Noss is God"

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #24 on: Aug 23, 2010, 10:50PM »
the only air you should hear comes from out of your exhaust tip and in your air filter, thats it, if your hearinf more then you have leak city

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • sth. oz local moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #25 on: Aug 23, 2010, 10:52PM »
the only air you should hear comes from out of your exhaust tip and in your air filter, thats it, if your hearinf more then you have leak city

Exhaust leaks from your flanges wont cause you this trouble, if it is a boost leak, it'll be between the turbo and inlet manifold.
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #26 on: Aug 23, 2010, 11:02PM »
it did a very similar thing on mine luke so i wouldnt be surprised if it was a combination of things.

even cracks in the hard piping itself

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #27 on: Aug 23, 2010, 11:09PM »
Exhaust leaks from your flanges wont cause you this trouble, if it is a boost leak, it'll be between the turbo and inlet manifold.

im thinking thats where its leaking from again :( owell shit happens i guess

air doesnt come out of the air filter, i remove it and block it off wid a garbage bag to thus help pressurize the system to see where all the airs leaking out.
"Noss is God"

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #28 on: Aug 24, 2010, 08:06PM »
i think i meant hear air passing through.... but good idea anyways. video you doing it and post up hear lol

hope you get it sorted, i know how much of a bitch it would be to drive

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #29 on: Aug 25, 2010, 12:59AM »
i think i meant hear air passing through.... but good idea anyways. video you doing it and post up hear lol

hope you get it sorted, i know how much of a bitch it would be to drive

hahaha well see how i go tomorrow and i might post a video of me doing it up ;)

THANKFULLY, i only does it every now and then so the car is usually amazing to drive, but sometimes when its really really bad a fully loaded truck would take off faster than me! lol

If the bolts i think i need to check are tight are in an unreachable spot wid the turbo mani all bolted up im gonna give it a wk or so and do it all properly more so. I think its the bolts between turbo and manifold that are loose, we (me and my father) used spring washers insted of the metal foldy thing as some of the tabs were broken off so i guess ill get a new one of them and get some braided lines so its not as much as a dick to bolt all the line back up again. so i guess ill need to wait for parts and some time off work to do it all.

"Noss is God"