Author Topic: MY POOR TRX (nicknamed the "trxy")  (Read 2804 times)

Offline ronald

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
MY POOR TRX (nicknamed the "trxy")
« on: Dec 8, 2008, 12:36PM »
Hey guys and girls!

As some of you might have already read my poor 1990 Trx is not currently "roadworthy" i should say..

I do love the car but i need to start to get it back to standard. I need some ideas.. so if you guys have tha spare time to help a fellow trx driver out would be much appreciated!

Things i know is wrong with the car:
-Power steering hose
-Drive Shafts and bearings
-Engine Mount (rear i think)
-Gearbox (not too sure but i have been told its gone)
-Accelerator Cable
-Drivers side lamp (next to the headlight, it's broken off but it never worked, dont know what its for..)

thats about it i think for now.. mechanicly... i just need some body parts for it too.. to get it back to my standard...

- Front lip kit for the bar..
- possible bonnet... got a couple dints in it...

Is it possible to throw in a short shifter in this paticular car? the gear stick is too high... its uncomfortable...

Any ideas to fix her up or anyone selling parts cheap id be interested...

Problem is i dont earn much and its a pain in the ass considerin the rego is almost due and i bought the car off my cousin for 2500 which i still gotta pay and all this other sh*t to do with the car...

Yeah, will be much appreciated with any help to fix my girl up and i would love to go on a cruise and meet you guys...

also any ideas to give the "trxy" a bit of a boost... not too hardcore jus decent... lol

thanks guys

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
Re: MY POOR TRX (nicknamed the "trxy")
« Reply #1 on: Dec 8, 2008, 04:36PM »
that's heappsss sickk ayyyeeeee
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline snailman

• GOC 180' man
  • antrx.com senior member
  • 1994 U13 SSS BLUEY
« Reply #2 on: Dec 8, 2008, 04:43PM »
that's heappsss sickk ayyyeeeee

didn't know trent from punchy joined here :o
loves doing 180's up great ocean road... not!

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #3 on: Dec 8, 2008, 05:45PM »
$2500 for a car with problems like that.. i'd ask for a partial refund.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline snailman

• GOC 180' man
  • antrx.com senior member
  • 1994 U13 SSS BLUEY
« Reply #4 on: Dec 8, 2008, 08:01PM »
agreed, for a car in the condition your talking about and with the problems you are saying $2500 is overpriced specially from a family member
loves doing 180's up great ocean road... not!

Offline TRX81

• antrx.com junior member
  • Loves his TRX !
« Reply #5 on: Dec 8, 2008, 08:20PM »
I can relate to what your going through trxy   i just bought my 1990 TRX for $1000  and already spent $2500 on her machanicaly    but my local garage has assured me that once all the work has been done on her she will purr very nicely.

sadly you can't get any parts for the pintara's anymore you wont get the body kits they came standard with only from a wrecking yard and seeming they only made 200 of the TRX's back in 1990 through to 1991 there very hard to even find on the road now let alone wrecked. 

just ring all nissan wrecking yards and see what you can find dude.

Cheers
Matt
is obsessed with TRX's :-)

Offline FRAZE

• antrx.com full member
  • while at work im missin my nissan
« Reply #6 on: Dec 8, 2008, 08:57PM »
dont know where u got your info from bud, but u will find there were alot more than 200 trxs made champ
They were never a limited edition and there is still heaps of them on the road, and  a couple pop up in wreckin yards
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2008, 08:21PM by FRAZE »
[R31WGN]     [MRNISN]     [AUSGTS]    [R31SKY]

Offline ronald

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
« Reply #7 on: Dec 8, 2008, 10:01PM »
thanks for the feedback...  lol just to confirm the damage was done after i got it off my cousin..

i just got to get it fixed.. i do love the car... its sexy watchin it fly past i love it...

Offline SleepaTi

• antrx.com junkie
  • KA24DET Guru
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2008, 08:24PM »
hah 'only 200 made'

i've seen like 50 in my area between footscray & geelong & about 10 all up in the wreckers, i don't know where you heard that from but they are full of shit lol
NO! it's NOT a fucking SR20!!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2008, 10:27AM »
there would have been more than 200 trx owners here over the years lol.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2009, 02:12PM »
ronald... here's some tips for you:

-you can save money on a new bonnet/paint by getting dents sucked out... you can get a crash repairer to do this or there are even people who'll come to oyu
-what is wrong with your driveshafts? boots spraying grease everywhere? clicking noise on turning? if not one of these, they're fine
-bearings - if the car makes a hell of a lot of road noise when you're driving that increases and decreases with speed, not engine speed
-rear mount; get a nissan one over the kelpro ones they sell at autobarn; they last a lot longer. They're about $250 from memory though. You have to drop the crossmember to access it; just put a jack under the engine, unbolt the member (4 x 17mm) and engine from the mounts (2x 14mm) and it just drops out. Front mount always goes too so you may as well replace that while you're there unless it's ok
-accellerator cable - easy job, only 3 bolts (2 in cabin, 1 in engine bay) don't do up the bolt on the plastic thread too tight. trust me. You can only find these from wreckers or maybe 3rd party at sprint, etc.
-drivers side lamp - this is a "cornering lamp" it will only come on when your headlights and indicator on that side are on. It does not flash. Get a new one from Nissan; 3rd party ones don't fit as well; 1x screw holds them in
-good luck finding that front lip section
-shortshifters were ordered from america a few years ago in limited numbers. Maybe noss or someone else can put you in touch with who sells them but that sounds like a pia; otherwise someone may have one from wrecking etc, otherwise I'd get use to that stick
-if the gearbox feels ok, shifts ok, doesn't make much noise, then it's ok; they're quite strong mine has 388,000k of frankly, abuse, on it and still is ok
-an old trick for a non-permanent fix with power steering hoses is to remove the clip, reposition it on the hose in a slightly different position and tighten it again. It usually will stop the leak for a couple of months or longer, maybe enough for you to get some cash for a new hose.

Hope all this helps.
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds