Author Topic: SUITABLE PERFORMANCE RADIATOR FOR U12 FWD  (Read 6155 times)

Offline evlknvl

• antrx.com senior member
SUITABLE PERFORMANCE RADIATOR FOR U12 FWD
« on: Sep 30, 2008, 10:13PM »
   For those of you interested in upgrading your radiator but thought it was too expensive, found a replacement performance radiator for the u12 pinny fwd for $220-230 delivered to your door. All aluminium with over double the core thickness and practically the same dimensions.
   Standard radiator dimensions is approx 710l, 430h and only 15w. The replacements dimensions are 700l, 415h, 40w. They are to suit a wrx subaru non turbo but are a pretty bloody close fit to the pinny. All is needed is relocation of your radiator mounts and thermo mounts which, going by some of the stuff you guys on here have done is peanuts, the mounts on the radiator are close. Made in Australia and seems like a good quality radiator with good quality welds, heres a few pic's to make your mind up and the link from where I got it on ebay (store name OPTIONS AUSTRALIA).

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/93-94-95-96-97-98-SUBARU-IMPREZA-GC8-ALUMINIUM-RADIATOR_W0QQitemZ370089745815QQihZ024QQcategoryZ43807QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

Just about to install mine so let you all know how easy/long it takes.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: SUITABLE PERFORMANCE RADIATOR FOR U12 FWD
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2008, 10:39PM »
Awesome!  I'm looking to get a new and uprated radiator for my ATTESA, this looks like a go-er :)

Thanks for sharing mate and let us know how the install goes.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #2 on: Oct 1, 2008, 01:48PM »
I've also been looking for an upgrade, mine gets a bit warm at times... I was dreading summer :S  untill now :D.

Offline MAG86

• L24ET on the way.....
« Reply #3 on: Oct 1, 2008, 02:21PM »
whats the quality like on these?
and are the really oz made?
im about to order the S13 item for my R30 (near exactly the same)
[0O\======/O0]

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Oct 1, 2008, 04:17PM »
scott, please keep us updated with how this goes and what you need to change for fitment, since no one has taken this route before. Plenty of pics would be great :)

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #5 on: Oct 1, 2008, 10:29PM »
ohh it wasnt a track day just a pulsar that thought he could beat me but he got left about 2k's down the road :D
idiot.
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline evlknvl

« Reply #6 on: Oct 1, 2008, 10:50PM »
"Takin the piss" might be appropriate from Colby Tas! LOL Trying to say between the lines, unless done on a track, SAME AS ABOVE - IDIOT! Sorry m8, but there's a limit to which I drive to on the streets, couldn't live with the knowledge of nowing I have killed someone just for my own ego!

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: Oct 1, 2008, 10:53PM »
ohh it wasnt a track day just a pulsar that thought he could beat me but he got left about 2k's down the road :D

Pleaseeee post up your rego so we can forward this information to the cops, they love people like you.

Grow up.

Offline evlknvl

« Reply #8 on: Oct 1, 2008, 10:55PM »
Lucky SSS, didn't get the chance to install it last night. Try to do a decent write up/thread for it in the next few days, prob install on the weekend.

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #9 on: Oct 1, 2008, 11:03PM »
It must be a fucking long runway buddy. And that means a fucking big property. And a pulsar on that property to drag race. And enough distance to open up a 2km lead.

:-\
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline tazza255

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #10 on: Oct 1, 2008, 11:07PM »
anyways im gonna stop post hogging and delete all mine

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #11 on: Oct 2, 2008, 12:34AM »
It must be a fucking long runway buddy. And that means a fucking big property. And a pulsar on that property to drag race. And enough distance to open up a 2km lead.

:-\

he must have been on my drive way called main north road ;)

im really interested in the write up for this
could be a new option since i put a nice bend in my brand new radiator :(
doesnt leak tho XD
"Noss is God"

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #12 on: Oct 2, 2008, 01:35AM »
Good idea,

I was going to go different route though with my SR20VE, koyo half radiator for civics/whatever, I'm sure a tubing can be found that will twist and turn its way back to the motor(supercheap have so many to choose from), it may look abit funny with the KA though because the other radiator hose goes on the other side meaning the extractors wouldn't be visible through the front bar like the B series civics, it looks tough :(.
Mounting wise, koyo give custom brackets to be welded onto the radiator support so it's as easy as drilling the spot welds and redoing the new ones, simple!
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline evlknvl

« Reply #13 on: Oct 2, 2008, 02:33AM »
As you can see the radiator's are a close match from factory to the new one.

Got the thermo's mounted to the new radiator. Here's a before and after, trimmed the mounting down a bit to hopefully create more cool air flow throughout the engine bay.

Was able to use three out of the five original mounting positions (didn't worry about the top centre mount) so only had to make one small bit of angle drilled for the top right mounting position.

All that's left now is to relocate the radiator brackets, you can see in the pic below how far the mounts have to be moved, roughly 100mm each (same as the bottom). Most likely finish it tomorrow night so let you all know how it goes.

« Last Edit: Oct 2, 2008, 02:35AM by evlknvl »

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #14 on: Oct 2, 2008, 08:31AM »
Good stuff!

I think when i've got some spare cash for one of these i might do a comparison with the OE rad to see what differences there are in temperature ramp up rates and what peak temps are seen on similar temperature days.

Immediately i'd have to assume that the new al rad would have a slower temperature ramp up compared to the OE rad, and that peak temps would be a few degrees lower with the al rad.

Chris, might want to have some good ducting going to the core and any gaps sealed up, i think you might have dramas with temps half sizing the radiator.
VE's are alloy blocks though right?

Offline evlknvl

« Reply #15 on: Oct 2, 2008, 09:38PM »
   To get to optimal running temp will take a bit more you would think and hopefully drop around 4-6 degrees once up to temp from the factory radiator. Hard to know, just have to wait and see once up and running. Good idea though m8, do a few different runs (city/highway) and get a decent comparison between the both and a % improvement by going with the suby radiator over standard.
   Too stuffed to finish the job off tonight, just done 11 hours for the day. Will finish the job on the weekend and post the finished result.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #16 on: Oct 2, 2008, 11:11PM »
Good stuff!

Chris, might want to have some good ducting going to the core and any gaps sealed up, i think you might have dramas with temps half sizing the radiator.
VE's are alloy blocks though right?

Indeed they are. Don't forget the half sized radiators are deeper than full length tanks
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline evlknvl

« Reply #17 on: Oct 3, 2008, 03:51PM »
Got rained out at work so thought I might as well finish off the radiator. Used a few self tappers to relocate the bottom radiator mounts to the correct position. Used the original top radiator mounts but turned them around, trimmed them down a bit and gave them a quick spray with matt black. Then mounted them in the correct position at the top. Simply put the radiator in and all done. The bottom hose fits perfectly but prob have to get a new one for the top from supercheap or somewhere like that, not quite suitable. Very bloody easy, anyone can do it and probably only took about 3 hours max.

BEFORE :

AFTER :

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #18 on: Oct 3, 2008, 04:46PM »
nice work  :D

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #19 on: Oct 3, 2008, 05:06PM »
Looks fantastic mate, let us know how it performs.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline evlknvl

« Reply #20 on: Oct 3, 2008, 06:25PM »
Ty guys, bit of a rough job with the top mounts. Gonna get one of my mates to make me up some ally mounts for the top to suit, tidy it up a bit. Other than that, nearly like a factory option, LOL.

Offline MAG86

• L24ET on the way.....
« Reply #21 on: Oct 21, 2008, 05:05PM »
So...

How would you rate the quality of this radiator, as Im considering getting one for my R30 Skyline...

[0O\======/O0]

Offline evlknvl

« Reply #22 on: Oct 21, 2008, 05:29PM »
Radiator hasn't been tested yet but the quality of them are really good. Seems like good quality welds and good material used.

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #23 on: Oct 21, 2008, 05:59PM »
Ty guys, bit of a rough job with the top mounts. Gonna get one of my mates to make me up some ally mounts for the top to suit, tidy it up a bit. Other than that, nearly like a factory option, LOL.

Looks good! You engine bay is sooo sweet hey. Could SSS make some mounts?

Offline evlknvl

« Reply #24 on: Oct 21, 2008, 08:03PM »
Good idea! LOL, yet another thing to get onto Adam about making!

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #25 on: Oct 28, 2008, 04:32PM »
Good work mate, not only finding something that's close but thinking outside the square to fit it!

The only thing I'd be worried about with your setup would be the efficiency of the thermo fans with such a big gap between the shroud and the core. The shroud is there to help the fans suck air through the core, but with the gaps there now they're more likely to suck air from the engine bay rather than through the core.

But if your coolant temps are fine when the car's sitting stationary for a while I wouldn't be too worried.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline evlknvl

« Reply #26 on: Oct 28, 2008, 04:58PM »
SHIT, never thought of that. Wish I had spoken to you before hand!  ::) Should of realised that myself, duh. Keep my fingers crossed that the size of the new radiator will make up for this (over double the standard core thickness). Hopefully won't be too much of a prob as I have the bonnet scoop taking in cold air and i'm going to fabricate some small, discrete ducting from the front into the bay aswell to keep intake temps down on the individual throttle bodies. So overall engine bay temp should (fingers crossed) be decreased significantly. If not plan to fabricate some sheeting from the scooop direct to the ITB's like the walkinshaw hsv's, but in doing so will increase engine bay temp too. Just have to wait and see what running temps I end up with and go from there. Don't like the look of the shrouds cut down anyway (looks a bit dodgy to me) so I might purchase a new thermo shroud and start again.