Author Topic: u13 power wiring  (Read 5338 times)

Offline phreeky

• antrx.com senior member
u13 power wiring
« on: Mar 30, 2008, 05:42PM »
I can't figure out a good way of getting a 4g power cable through the firewall, would love to hear of any great ideas! If I really really tried (and probably pulled some stuff out from under the dash and out of the engine bay) I could potentially run it through the same grommet as the main wiring loom, but would love to avoid that if possible. Running a high current cable along wiring for engine sensors just doesn't seem right to me.

What have others done here, is there another hole in the firewall you've used?

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
Re: u13 power wiring
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2008, 06:22PM »
There's usually only one or two places to run a power wire through the firewall.

I've never heard of any problems with people running power wiring with original wiring.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline wicked

• U13
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2008, 08:43AM »
I've ran a 4 AWG cable through a grommet into the back of the glove box.  Not sure if that's what you meant. :)

Offline P-Unit

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2008, 12:34PM »
I have 4ga and 2 8ga running through the grommet in the back of the glove box, electrical tape it to a magic yellow stick and PUSH!.

Offline DTM

• post whore
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2008, 02:58PM »
As do I, soon to be 2x 4ga lolz

Offline phreeky

« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2008, 05:21PM »
F*ck me there's a handy grommet at the back of the glovebox?!?!?! I didn't consider checking that. What other wiring runs through that?

Will check it out this afternoon. Thanks guys.

Offline wicked

• U13
« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2008, 05:50PM »
I couldn't quite figure where the grommet is behind the glove box, so I pretty much ran the cable through the fire wall from the engine bay. You may need to cut the grommet a tat bigger to run the cable easier. :)

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 2, 2008, 07:34PM »
The glove box grommet in U12s has LH indicator and wiper control wiring running through it.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline phreeky

« Reply #8 on: Apr 7, 2008, 11:28AM »
OK well I'm stumped. It's not like I've never seen the engine bay or anything, having pulled the engine out and stuff, but I can't even get a finger to the grommet there from the engine bay, and would be struggling to from down under/behind the glove box too.

I might try jacking the car up and seeing if I can get to the engine-bay side from underneath. All the ABS stuff and other bits and pieces are in the way, I think to get to it I'd have to take the intake pipes and fuel system half off.

Offline P-Unit

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #9 on: Apr 7, 2008, 12:26PM »
ill go take a photo for you, give me 10 minutes

Offline P-Unit

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #10 on: Apr 7, 2008, 01:06PM »

Offline phreeky

« Reply #11 on: Apr 7, 2008, 01:19PM »
Cheers, I can sort of grasp that second photo, unfortunately my engine bay doesn't look a whole lot like that. Not even sure I have that grommet there, and if it is I think all of them there are well and truly in use. I was just having another go at it, what a prick of a thing.

The one in your photo, what was the grommet already used for?

Offline phreeky

« Reply #12 on: Apr 7, 2008, 03:50PM »
Please, somebody who has done this on a U13 Attesa explain to me wtf to do. I'm at the point where I feel like selling the sub+amp and forgetting it all.

I fail to see how anyone could even consider getting a power cable through the main loom grommet. Inside the car it's behind some big arse black box thing that I can only assume is somehow related to the aircon/heater, and undoing all the screws it wont come out anyway. I can get a single finger feeling the grommet, I think, and by doing that cannot get my head anywhere near there to see what I'm doing. Pushing anything through would just catch wires.

In the engine bay I can see, get a couple of fingers to, but don't see how you could get any kind of blade near it with confidence to make the hole somehow appropriate (the grommet extends alone the loom so you can't just squeeze something else in.

The only other grommet I can see is right behind the strut tower on that same side. From the engine bay I can clearly see it, but that's it, can't get more than a finger there. Inside the car I can't even see where it is.

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #13 on: Apr 7, 2008, 03:55PM »
mines only 8ga, but I'm confident 4ga would fit with no issues. I think I used the main ecu loom grommet cos I just could not be fked taking all the crap behind the glove box out :)

EDIT: lol forgot to put in the link! http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php/topic,12994.0.html
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline phreeky

« Reply #14 on: Apr 7, 2008, 06:26PM »
Cheers, got it through! That took a hell of a lot of force though, here's hoping none of the wires got pulled on too hard or anything. So much force that the whole grommet popped out and I struggled to get it back in, but hey it's done now.

Now I've gotta finish tidying the boot install up, mount the amp, finish wiring, charge the battery, setup the stereo, pay my insurance (reason I haven't driven the car in a while), and take it for it's first spin since installing the stereo and getting new shocks :D Been dying to drive my car again, GFs mazda3 is getting a little boring...

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #15 on: Apr 7, 2008, 06:36PM »
which hole did you go for?

if memory serves I also popped out my grommet :)
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline phreeky

« Reply #16 on: Apr 7, 2008, 07:04PM »
Same as you, main loom one. There was no way I was going to get to the other one, although it would have probably been neater if I could have.

Oh well, a 4g cable will well and truly be sufficient for whatever I put in the boot from now on, only looking at powering a single 12" initially, and maybe the fronts down the track.