Author Topic: 1990 Magna -V- KA24E Pinnie  (Read 5915 times)

BlakeyBoyR

1990 Magna -V- KA24E Pinnie
« on: Aug 6, 2003, 12:40AM »
  Well after reseach my choice of cars has come down to this. Obviously Id want a pinnie, but I want a Ti or TRX (T at very least), auto and $4000 or under. If this isnt possible the Magna is my next choice. The thought occurred to me though, which one would win in a head to head run from the lights ?

The 2.6L Astron powered Magna (Power 93 kW @ 4800 rpm; Torque 205 Nm @ 2400 rpm)
OR
KA24E powered Pintara (96 kW @ 5600 rpm; Torque 188 Nm @ 2800 rpm)

To me it seems like a pretty even match, but (putting aside Pintara bias  ;), I was wondering which you thought would come up trumps ? I really want that KA24E powered Auto pintara for $4000 or under, but Im not sure how lucky I am going to be :/
Anyway, what do you think ?

Offline bungs

• post whore
Re:1990 Magna -V- KA24E Pinnie
« Reply #1 on: Aug 6, 2003, 01:00AM »
No match. My mate had one, and it was so unbelieveably slow that after a while it just wasn't funny anymore.

The ratio on the manual boxes are seriously so retarded, the first gear was very long, and the car cruised in 3rd gear at 60km/h at 1800rpm.

On paper it might look a decent contest, but it aint. Surely you could find a pintara under 4g, if you're lucky maybe even a TRX. Keep looking champ, i'm sure one will come up soon enough ;)

Offline Tim-E

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • doof doof
« Reply #2 on: Aug 6, 2003, 03:44AM »
yeh this is a no-brainer! hehe  :P
the old magna will get absolutely destroyed, plus pinnies look so much more modern
2.0L 4 -------> 3.0L 6. Does this mean a 4.0L 8 next?? or back to a 2.0L......turbo!

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #3 on: Aug 6, 2003, 09:44AM »
Yuck, a Magna!

My mates TR magna weighs 1380kg and has the same 'astron' specs as you quoted blakey, but fuck me, its the worlds biggest slug!  The Corsair EASILY beats it in a straight line, around a corner, up a hill, down a hill... every-which-way  ;D

Don't touch any magna's unless they are V6 mate.  Even the older V6's are still sluggy and would be beaten by a TRX simply because they weigh so damn much.

And as Tim-E said, your thinking of the old 'box' magnas, the pinny looks a shit load better and will be overall, a much better car.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #4 on: Aug 6, 2003, 10:26AM »
there was a road test done back when the pintara was new.. i have a scan of the article on my computer at work, basically the road test was between all the cars in the same class at the time.. the toyota camry v6, the magna elite, the pintara ti, and the subaru liberty gx.

the pintara  was the outright performer. apparently though, handling was a bit on the iffy side, but these days, thats something that can be fixed up with a good set of springs (about a $500 mod)

so definately go the pintara. no questions asked.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #5 on: Aug 6, 2003, 12:52PM »
We used to have one of those Magnas, traded our old Nissan Patrol turbo diesel and still had to pay more for it!! Anyway, it was slow, very unreliable, the interior smell always made me feel sick, otherwise I think it was ok. But yes, they are indeed quite slow. Same with the Liberty... I thought the old lawnmower would be a good drag for the Pinnie but no, they're gutless as.
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

BlakeyBoyR

« Reply #6 on: Aug 6, 2003, 02:09PM »
He he he, very resounding response there fellas ;) As I said, I am aiming for the Pintara anyway. I just hope I can get an auto KA24E for under $4000. Im sure they are out there, Im buying late October so if any of you know of any T, Ti or TRx going on sale about that time (or selling one yourself) be sure to let me know will you ? Thanks people

Offline Deanodriver

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #7 on: Aug 6, 2003, 08:39PM »
a friend of mine has a TP Magna ('89, carby 2.6), and although it has a bit more power than my '31 Pintara, it chews a fair bit of juice (about 1-2L/100 more than mine, despite being lighter, and a manual), the EFI ones wouldn't be as bad though....

for $4K, you could pick up a TR Magna though, but if it was between a ka24 Pintara and a Magna, I'd go the Pintara, if it was the ca20 Pintara and Magna, Pintara if Magna was carby, Magna if Magna was EFI...
Former Pintara owner, now driving a Pug!

Offline Xnissman

• qld local moderator
  • post whore
  • Speed Thrills - Stupidity Kills
« Reply #8 on: Aug 6, 2003, 09:25PM »
definately stay away from the carby fed magna, my brothers got one, had heaps of probs. with carby, was told he should have got efi model ;)
Take it to the limit - take it to the track.
speed safe; club level motorsport.
Life is like a box of chocolates.

Offline mitza

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #9 on: Aug 6, 2003, 11:11PM »
I can see youre on a budget, and we all are in this lfe....believe me. But remember....you get what you pay for. So instead of looking for Pinnies round 4k, start looking at 4.5k-5 k and looking to beat them down a bit. Even if you have to save a few hundred bucks more, could be worth it in the long run.

I know in Sydney, there are usually Pinnies round that mark. I bought my TRX for 4.5k. Mind you, I have spent quiet a lot of money on it since with mods and general repairs.

Keep looking and youll find something. Good things come to those who wait. As for the Magna, Im in aggrence with everyone else. No good. Cant take a carby over efi. Even if the Pnnies shape is getting a bit dated now (anywhere between 10 and 14 years), th Magna looks even worse and has no potential. Unless it has a hair dryer tucked away somewhere :)

Offline chucky

• CRUISE MONKEY
  • post whore
  • WHERES MY STICKER?
« Reply #10 on: Aug 7, 2003, 01:42AM »
BlakeyBoyR: what state are you in and how many kms you after?

i bought my auto corsair ghia (KA24E) for $4300 trade price, it was totally driveable and all but i did a major service which included all the basic things such as dropping the oil, changing the power steering shit, auto transmission fluid, air filter, blah blah blah, then i replaced some of the chrome stickers (the ones around the wheels) and all up to put it on the road it cost me about $5500, which included stamp duty but not insurance....

btw it had 145,000 kms on the clock

my sister bought a corsair for 3,500, CA20E auto and all, had it on the roads incl stamp duty and all, 4g but it had 250,000 on the clock

but yeh, as everyone has said, stay away from the magna, i got a mate with a magna, like the 93ish ones? 2.6lt, auto, LOL poor bugga... well thats what i was saying after i dropped him off the line, on the 3rd occasion.

be patient and you will be rewarded young one. hehehehehe
What do ralliart do??? make stickers???

BlakeyBoyR

« Reply #11 on: Aug 7, 2003, 01:27PM »
Out of curiosity, did the Ti's come in any colour but the two-tone white and grey ?

shaunk

« Reply #12 on: Aug 7, 2003, 01:42PM »
Unless it has a hair dryer tucked away somewhere :)

www.fastmagna.20m.com

Twin Turbo TR Magna getting develpoed at the moment, that's more like it for an early 90's Magna.

OR

www.rpw.com.au

for the later model Twin Turbo 3.5 Magna putting out in excess of 300kW

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #13 on: Aug 7, 2003, 01:44PM »
They do come in more colours.  One around my house is dark blue with a grey lower section.  Someone around here should have a guide or something on what colours were available back in the early 90's ;D
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #14 on: Aug 7, 2003, 01:48PM »
i think all ti's were two tone.. combination of white/silver, white/gold, blue/charcoal

gli's & t's & t-sports came in white, ice blue, red, silver, charcoal and black (unless sssgtr's was resprayed)

trx's were red, white, charcoal, silver and metallic sky blue

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
  • DUN, DUN, DUUUUUUHHHN!!!!
    • A collection of some of my photography
« Reply #15 on: Aug 7, 2003, 02:41PM »
gli's & t's & t-sports came in white, ice blue, red, silver, charcoal and black

ahem! i'll have you know that it's not just "silver".... but... "platinum glow"... oh i say! much, much classier :P

8)
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

shaunk

« Reply #16 on: Aug 7, 2003, 05:55PM »
ahem! i'll have you know that it's not just "silver".... but... "platinum glow"... oh i say! much, much classier :P

8)

Same as my car is actually "pewter" not silver.  A black Magna is actually coloured "Sable"

WTF?

Offline Deanodriver

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #17 on: Aug 8, 2003, 05:01AM »
there's a maroon U12 getting around uni, I think it's a T...
Former Pintara owner, now driving a Pug!

Offline Xnissman

• qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #18 on: Aug 10, 2003, 01:56AM »
mines a T & it's bronzegold from memory

trxadelaide

« Reply #19 on: Aug 14, 2003, 05:24PM »
mate, why even bothr with an Auto. Auto's and four cyls dont mix!
Even my mums R31 Skyline exec in the auto is sluggish when compared with a manuel trx.. well it feels that way to me!!! and they r a 3l 6cyl!!!

go the manuel!

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #20 on: Aug 14, 2003, 05:43PM »
mines a T & it's bronzegold from memory

Were you also priveleged enough to get the tacky thick line of thin pinstripes down the whole side of the car?

Offline Xnissman

• qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #21 on: Aug 14, 2003, 09:30PM »
no tacky pinstripes :o on my pinnyT thankyou very much

Offline DaveTRX

• antrx.com senior member
  • All Polar Bears are left handed!!
« Reply #22 on: Aug 17, 2003, 02:00AM »
I dragged a pretty new Magna Verada in my AUTO TRX and i lost the drag cause of wheel spin at the start in the wet. The next drag i eased into first and then pulled away for the victory. I spent 6 months looking for my TRX and the glory was worth it when i had it so dont get turned off by the fact that they're hard to come by.The auto is easier to come by.

By the way, if you're comparing those two cars as your reference of choice, don't even bother with the Magna if you already want a TRX cause the Magna is no where near as good in the all round package. ;)

Offline chucky

• CRUISE MONKEY
  • post whore
  • WHERES MY STICKER?
« Reply #23 on: Aug 17, 2003, 01:35PM »
what you class as a new verada? the newish ones are 3.5lt v6s.... my uncles got one and theres no chance im ever keeping up with him with my auto ka24e

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #24 on: Aug 18, 2003, 03:15PM »
Yeah - had a go with a brand spanking new AWD Verada GTV from about 40 - 90km/h at the Flinder's Uni entrance to the Southern Expressway... got eaten!! I've got a manual too.
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline chucky

• CRUISE MONKEY
  • post whore
  • WHERES MY STICKER?
« Reply #25 on: Aug 18, 2003, 11:28PM »
Yeah - had a go with a brand spanking new AWD Verada GTV from about 40 - 90km/h at the Flinder's Uni entrance to the Southern Expressway... got eaten!! I've got a manual too.

lol its a 3.5lt v6 and the drive train hi-jacked out of the nissan gtr... what'd you think would happen hehehehehehe i like those cars... hate the ads tho

Offline Tim-E

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • doof doof
« Reply #26 on: Aug 18, 2003, 11:32PM »
actually the AWD version is slower (in a straight line) then a normal Verada GTV. also has a few less kw's. still toey but  8)
2.0L 4 -------> 3.0L 6. Does this mean a 4.0L 8 next?? or back to a 2.0L......turbo!

shaunk

« Reply #27 on: Aug 19, 2003, 05:58PM »
More weight would be why