Author Topic: New to Paint  (Read 2314 times)

Offline Abaddon

• antrx.com full member
New to Paint
« on: Jan 29, 2007, 03:03PM »
Hey,  I've never really had much to do with car paint and it looks like my poor U13 is in need.  There is some pronounced bubbling on one door (Rust Spot, a circular shape, bout 4cm diameter) I'm guessing I should sand that crap off, putty and paint?

Also the Spoiler has not much paint on it.  It is a dull version of the car colour (the aqua/silver Bluebird colour) There are two spots that still have the metallic paint on them but it's just slowly flaking away.  I could just peel the rest off and then leave it I guess since it is plastic anyways I guess.

Anyone got any ideas?
"Like a Fish???"

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
Re: New to Paint
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2007, 04:41PM »
With rust it is best to cut it out and weld it up, then grind the weld down, fill with putty,sand, prime hen paint.

Your spoiler without actually seeing it, I would say that the clear is comoing off if it is metallic. I would sand it back and re paint with acylic then clear it a month later, (it is best to let acrylic cure). acylic is easy to use and it you screw it up you can rub it out and start again, also acylic is almost dry as soon as it comes out of the gun. This means don't worry too much about overspray as you can just sweep it up.

Offline greenbird

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2007, 09:17PM »
Abaddon, is your rust spot about 10 cm up from the bottom, on one of the front doors???
If it is, this is a common problem with the U13. On the inside of the front doors doors (not sure about the rears), from the factory, they have stuck some sound deadener straight onto the door skin. It's looks like about 10mm thick foam with foil over the top. Over time, water and crap works its way down underneath this foam and breeds a small rust spot...
Not much you can do about it as you won't know it is happening until it is too late. I've seen a few U13's where this has happened.
Dan.
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs

Offline Abaddon

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2007, 08:49AM »
Well greenbird, you got it in one.  I guess that's a good thing as it's less likely the rest of the car is rusting as well.  And Aaron thanks for the tips, I guess I'll just have to buy some more tools and learn some new skills.

I suppose I should rip the noise deadener out of the other front door as well.
"Like a Fish???"

Offline greenbird

« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2007, 08:58AM »
Yes, tear away as much of the noise deadener as you can, until you find the rust spot. Rub it back (on the inside of the door) to bare metal as best you can with sandpaper and then spray some killrust paint onto the spot.
This will substantially slow the rust spot down, if not stop it dead in its tracks!
Cheers, Dan.
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs

Offline KNG P1N

• humpin ya mumma since '85
  • post whore
  • dont hate the player.....hate the game
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:35PM »
Yes, tear away as much of the noise deadener as you can, until you find the rust spot. Rub it back (on the inside of the door) to bare metal as best you can with sandpaper and then spray some killrust paint onto the spot.
This will substantially slow the rust spot down, if not stop it dead in its tracks!
Cheers, Dan.

no. sorry but that won stop it. sand it back, removing any flakeyness. then apply rust converter. leave on the effected area for about ten minutes/or when it turns white. wipe off with turps on a rag.....THEN apply killrust primer. then get it painted....spray pautty after killrust if needed
And there's not much I can say
But we miss you every day
And I'm bitter 'cause it's unfair
We'll be drinkin' in the sun
Playing music having fun
Cause one day I'll see you there
R.I.P, M.M 1984 - 2005

Offline Barnett

• Not So Stock Ride, Banging Your Mum 24/7 :D
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:44PM »
Your spoiler without actually seeing it, I would say that the clear is comoing off if it is metallic. I would sand it back and re paint with acylic then clear it a month later, (it is best to let acrylic cure). acylic is easy to use and it you screw it up you can rub it out and start again, also acylic is almost dry as soon as it comes out of the gun. This means don't worry too much about overspray as you can just sweep it up.

i am guessing you haven't had much experience with painting stuff. with acylic yes it is very good but leaving it for a month thats a bit extreme! the sun would have probably eaten away the metalic flakes and he would be back at square one!

i would rub the spoiler back till it is smooth then apply primer/putty then add a guide coat leave it cure for a day, this will make sure the primer has settled into and small scratches and holes. rub it back so there is no guide coat left on the primer this will ensure all the hollows have been rubbed out. then apply your colour and let it dry then apply your clear coat pretty much straight away after the colour this will ensur it sticks properly. apply a few good coast of clear as with acrylic you will have to rub the clear coast back with say 1500-2000grit wet n dry and then buff it back to a nice shine with a buffing wheel :D easy as that!

or just get 2-pak sand the spoiler back, apply primer, leave it cure for a day, sand it back with a guide coat like acrylic, then apply your colour and then apply your clear coat. make sure with your 2-pak you get an air dry hardner so it doesn't need to be baked! and with 2 pak it is off the gun finish no need to cut back or buff once you have finished spraying it should tack off within about 10-15mins (pretty much as quick as acrylic with air dry hardner!) let it harden over night and then re-attacth to vehicle good as new

[Barnett]
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2007, 08:00PM by Barnett »
Mmmmm Turbo Mini Chopper Anyone?

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 1, 2007, 05:52PM »
Barnett, I have had lots of experience with paint. I used to make and sell it. I done it for two years until I busted my foot in 3 places playing footy.

Also you are correct leavin it for a month is extreme. I was thinking of a solid colour or clear which you leave for around a month before buffing so as it can cure a bit as acrylic stays 'soft' as opposed to two pack which goes 'hard'.

My bad :-[

Offline vector

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 3, 2007, 09:12PM »
dont use 2 pak its very unforgiving and highley toxic, also dont apply clear straight over your metalic base coat as theyll blend together which isnt what you want also you dont really need kill rust, your better off grinding the area back until you cant see any rustand than use an etch primer.

acylic paint does take about 3 months to fully cure but its easiest to cut back within the first week.
"Until the philosophy which hold one race superior and another inferior is finally discredited and abandoned...WAR! So that is prophecy, and everyone know that is truth. And it came out of the mouth of Rastafari"

Offline Barnett

• Not So Stock Ride, Banging Your Mum 24/7 :D
« Reply #9 on: Feb 3, 2007, 11:51PM »
I would have to disagree, 2-pak is a fantastic paint! I believe acrylic is a very good paint aswell.

But having said that if your good enough with a gun 2-pak is your friend thats for sure. I painted the front end of my mates 180sx...2 front guards and vielside front bar, trust me with a vielside front bar would you want to try and cut it back and buff it? i know i wouldn't!

With 2-pak we got a great finish straight off the gun like a mirror hardened with in about 24-48hours and a great flat glossy shine. alot less work than acrylic....

[Barnett]
Mmmmm Turbo Mini Chopper Anyone?