Author Topic: A couple of newie questions  (Read 3034 times)

Offline someguy

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
A couple of newie questions
« on: Jan 5, 2007, 02:42PM »
Well I was reading about changing the air intake, and one mod grabbed my attention since it costs absolutely no money. That was taking off the snorkel since it restricts the air flow or somthing-or-rather, and you might get slightly better response (maybe even a tiny bit of extra power) and having the engine make a better sound.

I couldn't really work out how to take the snorkel out because I'm stupid, but I disconnected it form the air box, and pushed the snorkel under the airbox. It was a slightly tight fit to get the bonnet closed because the snorkel pushed the air box up a bit. I'll figure out how to get rid of the snorkel later with one of the guides here.

My dodgy job:

Q1: Anyway I took the car out for a spin, and about 20 secs down the road my stereo turned itself off. It got me thinking because I had to move and push aside the fuses when messing with the intake. Is it possible I broke one of the wires, or could it just blown a fuse or something by chance?  ???

My car sounds a little bit better now though, and I think the responsiveness might have improved ever so slightly!  :)

Okay, Q2: My friend and I were discussing adding a pod filter to my car. Just simply adding a pod in place of the air box, and just connecting it to the air flow meter (nothing too complicated or permanent). Would that be a wise thing to do, or would it be too hot there, and see bugger all improvement? This question might have been asked in another topic, but I couldn't find anything, so sorry if there is.

Damn that was long, but any help would be appreciated  :D

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
Re: A couple of newie questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 5, 2007, 02:54PM »
To take off the snorkel, im pretty sure u can wedge it out with some persuasion. Otherwise remove the battery and slide her out. Shouldnt be too much trouble.

Those fuses arent for the radio and whatnot.... they are power for the ecu, alternator/regulator etc. Major systems. If you blew one or shorted that, youd be in a bit more strife than a stopped radio.

As for the pod, covered to death. Check the tech articles/tech section in the relevant subforum (aka U12 performance and handling).

Welcome to antrx!

What Pinny you got... looks like a T or Exec, but hard to tell from a front only shot...

The Nissubishda will live....

Offline someguy

« Reply #2 on: Jan 5, 2007, 03:41PM »
Phew that's quite a relief, I'm glad I didn't snap any of the wires :)
As for my car it's just a GLi, nothing too special, but it's in good condition. I'll post up some pics for viewing pleasure:

Front:

Back:

Inside:

Inside 2:

Engine:

You might be able to see in that pic I needed a 'stop leaks quick fix' on one of the power steering hoses so I put some material and taped it XD (it's the one behind the brake fluid reservoir, you can see the black/white tape on it). I'll have to get that fixed soon!

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
  • self confessed antrx cycling nut
« Reply #3 on: Jan 5, 2007, 04:17PM »
welcome aboard mate, i'm sure you'll find that once you start the modding process, it never stops....  ;D

clean lookin car u go there, esp the engine bay, mine's shocking!

oh, nice tacho too!   :P   ;)
If somebody asks you, "can I ask you a question?" and you say, "no",  you're actually answering a question. Think about it....

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #4 on: Jan 6, 2007, 02:04AM »
High pressure power steering line got a hole, common thing. $250 from nissan or ring enzed, cost me $120. Dont bother getting a second hand one.
Your car may be able to go faster.
But I can go any where. except into a garage, underground carpark, bridge...

2 sticks and manual locking hubs. have to get out to drive it around
Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

I Got Baned for being a Total Assclown, Wanker, Tool, etc...

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Jan 6, 2007, 08:53AM »
lol, at least the tacho isn't the size of my dinner plate....

it would look pretty funny having a tacho sitting there and a complete stocker looking car, you must have some "sleeper" appeal heh...or they just laugh  :P
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Jan 6, 2007, 09:37AM »
You might be able to see in that pic I needed a 'stop leaks quick fix' on one of the power steering hoses so I put some material and taped it XD (it's the one behind the brake fluid reservoir, you can see the black/white tape on it). I'll have to get that fixed soon!

http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php?topic=2889.0
ive got one being made up for me now at a local hose place,  its gonna cost about $80, and enzed wanted $100 and theyd take twice as long.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #7 on: Jan 6, 2007, 10:46AM »
That hose on my TRX has pirtek writing on it as well, its been replaced at some stage in its life as well.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline someguy

« Reply #8 on: Jan 6, 2007, 09:11PM »
it would look pretty funny having a tacho sitting there and a complete stocker looking car, you must have some "sleeper" appeal heh...or they just laugh  :P

It's about 50/50 actually  :D

Nah I just hated not having a tacho there, and I wanted something about the size as the speedo. I dunno what possessed me to go white, but it looks pretty flashy  ;). Plus it gives my car an extra 20 'mental' kW  ::)

Oh by the way I asked the guy at Autobarn about high flow panel filters today, there was a K&N and also a BMC champion (I think), both were oiled, and the prices were $120, and $150 respectively :o, talk about pricey.
So bugger that, I'll just get one off E-bay for cheap.

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #9 on: Jan 6, 2007, 09:50PM »
Be careful where you park your car. Tacho's are hot property to the local natives.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline someguy

« Reply #10 on: Jan 6, 2007, 10:00PM »
Be careful where you park your car. Tacho's are hot property to the local natives.

Yeah so I've heard, mine stands out a bit more since it's silver and all.

This next bit might have already been discussed here but..

A while ago I read an article about how some guy put a clip on the back of his tacho, so every time he parked, he would just unclip the wires at the back and (somehow) remove it from the mounting to prevent it from getting stolen. Sorta like taking the faceplate off you head unit I guess.

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #11 on: Jan 6, 2007, 10:07PM »
some of them come with a plug that is easy to remove. Theres certainly no reason why you couldn't do it. all you need is a male and female plug with 4 pins on each.
I think you should just put it down a bit lower or paint it black so it isn't asking for attention from a mile away.

Are you running wheel spacers or thick rubber on the back by any chance? your rears seem to stick out a long way in the pictures. Maybe its because of the cars highness, is lowering on the cards?
« Last Edit: Jan 6, 2007, 10:11PM by rathies »
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5

Offline someguy

« Reply #12 on: Jan 6, 2007, 10:11PM »
some of them come with a plug that is easy to remove. Theres certainly no reason why you couldn't do it. all you need is a male and female plug with 4 pins on each.
I think you should just put it down a bit lower or paint it black so it isn't asking for attention from a mile away.

Oh cool, I think I might give that a try! Might get my mate to give me a hand since he's better with that sort of stuff, but yeah thanks alot for the advice  ;D as well as all the other people who replied  :)

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #13 on: Jan 6, 2007, 10:16PM »
also to answer your question on the pod/panel filter thing. Stick with the panel. Less chance of a defect, P is for police attention after all. Its easy to make your self a pvc cold air intake that goes into the box.

Whatever you do don't buy that $30 flex pipe crap you see in auto shops, it conducts way to much heat and rips. If you can afford it go full stainless steel, then a pod would be suitable.

Offline 91TR.X

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #14 on: Feb 9, 2007, 02:59PM »
id just leave the engine as you found it! i honestly do not see any reason as to why pod filters should be added? if anything your gain would be as much of a gain as running 98% octane fuel!!!