Author Topic: Australia's departure from the world cup  (Read 5703 times)

Offline bogan_bob

• antrx.com junkie
Australia's departure from the world cup
« on: Jun 27, 2006, 06:09PM »
Hey all,

just wondering if anyone else is as outraged as i am about this. Not only was it a soft penalty in the dying seconds, but Australia was robbed by not recieving a penalty for 'that' handball!!!

I think the refereeing for the whole tournament has been pretty average but Australia seems to have copped an even bigger share of p!ss poor decisions.

what does everyone else think??

BB

http://ozvr4.com - check it out :)

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
    • http://www.tldr.com.au
Re: Australia's departure from the world cup
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2006, 07:51PM »

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2006, 07:53PM »
rofl rob...

well all i can say. italy won not because they are better players because they are better actors.

game was very annoying after that shit happened.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2006, 08:53PM »
fark 'em.  It should be obvious to you all by now that FIFA gives no fuck for -non traditional- soccer playing countries.

FIFA = Fake It to Fuck Australia.

AFL ftw.

Offline [JET-20T]

• anwrx member no.1
  • antrx.com junkie
  • boxer
« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2006, 11:00PM »
IMHO i think australia didnt deserve to win.

They should have created many more chances other than the poor efforts we had from outside the box. And i feel we should have taken advantage of the extra man.

I feel the ref was pretty good. The red card was deserved, two feet lunged, late.. i would have too...

As for the penalty, as much as i hate to see the replay and knowing it wasnt a foul, the referee doesnt get a second chance to view it again and in slow motion.

I cringed when i saw the italian bloke falling over lucas neill.

But good on the boys for going so well. I was a proud feeling being a football fan in australia the way i saw it. I hope the game goes on to bigger and better things instead of the other codes that are played in victoria and the east coast of Australia.

im gonna get flamed to buggery  :'(
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2006, 11:03PM by [JET-20T] attesa »
traction kicked in yo!

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
    • http://www.tldr.com.au
« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2006, 01:05AM »
I'm not following this hugely, but when I saw a replay that dreaded last minute tackle, the aussie guy was going for the ball and definately not the italian guy. There was a fair amount of distance between them too, and the aussie was on the ground before the other guy even got there. So what does he do, he like steps over him, hell almost around him he was that far away, doesn't touch him at all, and falls more pathetically then a mop.

He should learn how to balance on no more than two limbs. But no he had to drop onto all four and cry like the baby he is :P

Offline Smiley Of Terror

• post whore
« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2006, 05:18AM »
as far as taking advantage of having 10 men.. I believe they were doing that and more..
italy has one of the best defences in the world.
I think Guus Hiddink was planning on stretching the game out as much as he could so their defence would be tired... he still had 2 substitutions up his sleeve... and someone like Josh "jesus" Kennedy would have taken advantage of the tired Italians like no ones business.

as far as that penalty... yes it was obvious after that it was a fall... but at the speed its so hard for ref's to see what goes on... all he saw was a tackle that didn't hit the ball, and looked like it hit the player...
thats the first time I've defended the ref since seeing the tackle (I watched it about 50 times since it happened)

in the end... shit happens... pussy italians cause it :P
atleast we got into the final 16, I'm happy for that.
nissan enthusiast who... umm... drives a toyota.

'95 n/a Mr2

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2006, 10:21AM »
yeh it sucks, i think australia deserved to be through on the basis that for the most part, they play a pretty fair game.. as in they dont try and milk penalties - at least from what i saw anyway.

i am however sick of seeing it on the news, hearing it on radio, reading it on the web, sick of everyone's 'outrage' about it.. amused though at people rallying to 'give the ref a wedgie' for it.. as unfair as what it may be, its just something that happens unfortunately..

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Smiley Of Terror

• post whore
« Reply #8 on: Jun 28, 2006, 06:46PM »
hehe

'95 n/a Mr2

Offline ehh

• antrx.com senior member
  • usefull idiot
« Reply #9 on: Jun 28, 2006, 09:09PM »
well neil wasn't even trying to tackle him,, he was trying to block a shot...it shouldn't have been a penalty but as soon as he went down i knew the ref would give it..

the red card was also a bad call

ahwell, so used to seeing things like that happen in the world cup(and euro)...just the nature of the game when it can hinge entirely on a single descision

endounadably old chap

meh

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #11 on: Jul 4, 2006, 11:32PM »
I can't wait to see the Italians get smashed by the germans tommorow morning @ 5am...

Go Deutschland! :P
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #12 on: Jul 5, 2006, 12:02AM »
doubt it

Offline Smiley Of Terror

• post whore
« Reply #13 on: Jul 5, 2006, 02:30AM »
if italy beats germany it would mean that australia had a chance at getting into the finals. which would make several of my friends cry to think about the loss..

still.. germany are known for taking a dive as much as italy so we'll see how it pans out. Ballack and Klose FTW!

'95 n/a Mr2

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #14 on: Jul 5, 2006, 10:49AM »
italy 2 - germany 0

-_-

smiley u can't say that...it's how the game is...i said to my mates after our game that italy would go the whole way after that and they did...you can't say what if what if.. meh you might as well wait till the next one :P.

after all this shit has happened im starting to think what russia would of thought when they beat greece in the euro cup  - "if we beat the champions maybe if we got through we coulda won"

it's the same shit lol
« Last Edit: Jul 5, 2006, 10:51AM by chr1S »

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #15 on: Jul 5, 2006, 02:18PM »
fucking italy...

That first late goal right in the second 15mins of extra time was magic however.  An amazing goal.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Smiley Of Terror

• post whore
« Reply #16 on: Jul 5, 2006, 07:23PM »
...smiley u can't say that...it's how the game is...i said to my mates after our game that italy would go the whole way after that and they did...you can't say what if what if.. meh you might as well wait till the next one...

yes, but it tells me that australia had a team capable of reaching the finals if italy didn't get that lucky penalty (and yes, they also might have gotten goals in extra time or beaten us in a penalty shoot out blah blah)
but all I wanted to know, was how good our team was.... getting to the final 16 was better than we expected 6 months ago... and  knowing how close we were to beating italy, who will probably be the champs... actually makes me happy... 'cause we know we had a good team on our hands.

bring on the asia cup bitches.

'95 n/a Mr2

Offline [JET-20T]

• anwrx member no.1
  • antrx.com junkie
  • boxer
« Reply #17 on: Jul 6, 2006, 02:35PM »
Lol surprised this is still going.

Italy for teh win.

thats all i have to say. No matter if we had beaten them, bla bla.. germany would have beaten us. home crowd, inexperienced players in tournament competition, everything would have been against us.

And the guy that scored italy's first goal, was the guy that lucas neill tripped to get the penalty. the second goal was class.

France is beyond all expectation. they surprised me alot. But i feel having beaten italy in the 98 final stages, and euro2000 final, italy may get the third time lucky streak. mind you italy has been unbeaten for some 20 odd matches.
traction kicked in yo!