Author Topic: Engine mounts replaced - still have vibration...  (Read 3646 times)

Offline sticks1977

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
Engine mounts replaced - still have vibration...
« on: May 30, 2012, 08:44AM »
I picked my car up from the local mechanic yesterday as my trusty old faithful '91 Pintara needed three new engine mounts and a water pump.

Firstly they said the engine mounts were difficult to source from their supplier due to the car being 20+ years old. The vibration upon start-up and when braking or turning corners is gone so the new engine mounts seem to be doing their job.

The only thing I have noticed - which the mechanic also mentioned - was that there is still some vibration when accelerating and also when sitting idle at the traffic lights.

The mechanic mentioned to me that the vibration will initially be there to begin with while the engine mounts are "new" and the rubber is hard. Since I know two-thirds of not much mechanically about cars should I be expecting this vibration to cease or be not noticeable after a week or three?

Also what was mentioned was that one of the engine mounts had to be placed into the old engine mount bracket as the supplier had given the mechanic the wrong bracket.

Thanks for reading and look forward to any replies that can - possibly - put my mind at ease...

Regards, Shaun (sticks1977)

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: Engine mounts replaced - still have vibration...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 12:37PM »
Sounds fine, some vibration is normal.

My '97 U13 Bluebird has a noticable vibration at idle which you can feel slightly through the steering wheel. No big deal :)
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 02:42PM »
How much did the mechanic sting you for the mounts?

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 02:51PM »
Probably too much, gearbox mounts are like $180 alone.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline mpot

• antrx.com junior member
    • martybugs.net
« Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 2012, 04:46PM »
Probably too much, gearbox mounts are like $180 alone.

Over the years, the price of replacement mounts from Nissan keeps going up ;-(

That's one of the reasons why I get replacement mounts cast in polyurethane.  It's cheaper, the mounts last a lot longer, and it's a bit stiffer than the rubber mounts.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2012, 07:50AM »
Which will either be made by Kelpro or Mackay. Supersteal do sell them, at a markup but definitely less than Nissan direct.

Another option is buy them from Rock Auto in the US, I could only find the front / rear and side engine mounts, couldn't find the gearbox mount for the manual trans. Fairly cheap, Between $16-40 USD plus delivery depending on which mount.

Either way martin, you can't lose with urethane filled mounts.