Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 1398 times)

Offline KamikazeMax

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
Advice please
« on: Feb 27, 2009, 03:04PM »
Ok, I will try to explain this clearly but be brief also.

- Car we have needed a new water pump and was 15,000k's off needing a new timing belt, so we replaced the belt at the same time.
- 10,000k's later the car has now been off the road for almost 2 years and needed to be re registered and roadworthied so it was booked into a dealership. upon inspection we were told that we need the timing belt changed and i said not to do it because it was only done 5,000k's ago and they agreed on this.
- We got the car back and the belt had been changed anyway but we were ok with it as the bill was being paid by someone else.
- Another 5,000k's on the car develops a massive loss in power and a mechanic said it needs the dizzy fully adjusted to compensate for something being wrong with the timing, once adjusted the car ran fine (if anyone understands what/why dizzy adjustment theory is please reply and explain it)
- Contacted the dealership, explained about needing to adjust the dizzy, was told by them that its often the case a timing belt needs to be adjusted. Told me that yes they possibly should have checked that more thoroughly but that there was nothing that they could do as the problem had been fixed already.
- Now the car has developed a loud banging, it's not pinging, it is clunking. a mechanics opinion is that its to do with the timing belt / dizzy adjustment. had it towed back to the dealership that did the timing belt/major service 5,000k's ago and had them find the problem, and apparently its caused by the cam gear bolt being left loose.
- The dealership is claiming that they didn't need to touch this bolt therefore they deny doing anything to it and deny all responsibility. they claim it must have been when the water pump was changed, but i remember for a fact (because it was really hard to do) that everything was put back together properly. i had a very experienced mechanic doing the job on my car and i was giving him a hand.

Anyway, point is the engine is a CA20DE, would there be a way for the dealership to change the timing belt easily without touching this bolt, or would they have had to remove it in which case are they lying?

Offline BAM169

• antrx.com junior member
Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2009, 04:46PM »
HI HOW YOU GOING.

I JUST READ MY REPAIR MANUAL AND THE CAMSHAFT BOLT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE REMOVED FROM THE CAMSHAFT AT ALL AS THE BELT WILL COME OFF EASY WHEN THE TENSIONER HAS BEEN RELEASED. 

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU OUT.

Offline KamikazeMax

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
Re: Advice please
« Reply #2 on: Mar 3, 2009, 07:50PM »
Yeah it does thanks. Have decided to not get the car fixed and to buy something else. Will slowly pull apart the engine, replace worn parts and put it back together... She might live again but as it stands she is being buried.. RIP Corsair