Author Topic: *pleh*..*pleh*... -dead ?!? :(  (Read 2904 times)

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
  • DUN, DUN, DUUUUUUHHHN!!!!
    • A collection of some of my photography
*pleh*..*pleh*... -dead ?!? :(
« on: Sep 10, 2003, 01:19AM »
hey all
tonight i had some weird, annoying problem that i really don't want to have to deal with... not for another 8 days anyway!
i jumped into my car tonight, leaving school to go home. turned the engine over, started without a hitch, but it kind of struggled for a few seconds before returning to normal idle (i have previously blamed this on my 7 year old battery that has been run flat 3 times  ::) )... took off and went to a mates place.
when i left my mates place, same thing happened again. drove off, around the corner, then i was waiting to turn at a stop sign and it just stalled on me... so i start it up again and find i have to keep the accelerator on to keep it running. happens again as i drop it to neutral as i brake for some lights! then i get it home (after giving it some hard revs in neutral) and i turn into the driveway and put it in neutral again so i can open the garage... and it seemed to have righted itself?! then i drive the car into the garage and it comes back again. coughing a little, then dies with the revs dropping off...

i am hoping this is nothing more than some crap caught in the fuel lines or something similar. i am open to suggestions as to what else it might be... because i seldom run the car to the E, let alone below it, before i get some petrol.... the last time i did it was about a month ago or so... so yeah  :-\

ideas anyone? muchly appreciated.
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

SaMmYJ

Re:*pleh*..*pleh*... -dead ?!? :(
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2003, 01:23AM »
well bro mmm that one sounds like fuel pump , thats wat i think so check it out , or fuel filter is full of shit n no fuel going in after u rev is so ye :)

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2003, 01:00PM »
also check your oxygen sensor, if its not sending the right signals to the ecu then the car wont run properly..

if you want a fuel pump i have a brand new never used one that you can grab off me for a good deal.. i paid $200 for it.. let me know if you want it.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2003, 03:30PM »
thanks for that offer noss, i'll check it out under the hood and see what can be found.

meanwhile, to add some spice to the mix, the problem seems to be intermittent.
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

trxadelaide

« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2003, 04:51PM »
yep.. my rekon it's a good chance its the filter 2!. My mate has an XF that did exactly the same thing. Turns out that the filter was as old as the car ( 87), when it was cut open it was hella full of crap... It must have been restricting flow..

Good luck with it bro!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2003, 11:02PM »
mine was doing that too.. replaced fuel filter.. no difference..

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2003, 08:27PM »
definitely sounds like the fuel pump Imaspy. My new fuel pump does that... sorta drops to 500 for a few seconds then back to normal.
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2003, 09:48PM »
thanks for the help guys. i doubt its the fuel pump though, it sounds exactly the same as when i first bought the car and doesn't look to be in much trouble... it seems to have totally gone now but i'm still gonna check out the different avenues that it might be.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2003, 06:28PM »
I agree, sounds like fuel starvation.

Offline Joczy

• antrx.com junkie
  • feed me guiness
« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2003, 08:02PM »
if its a 2.4 litre, you could also check this:

when car has an erratic idle, open up the bonnet and jiggle the connector coming out of the maf sensor (just after the filter box) when this has a poor connection, car runs extremely rich and will idle somwhere in the regions of @500rm and idle sounding quite lumpy. also loss of power will become involved. it is also intermittent as well.

this sensor does not come up on the ecm light in the dash and it also directly affects ur air/fuel mixture.

hope this helps.

"It's darkest before dawn so if u want to steel ur neighbours newspaper thens the time to do it"

Offline aussie-gli

• post whore
  • CA20E GLi (1998 -> 2008) U12 TRX (2020 -> ...)
« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2003, 10:15AM »
A mate of mine had the exact same problem... a vacuum hose on the cruise control had dropped off...

As Joczy suggested, check out ur MAF too.
Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad! Homer: Did you wreck the car? Bart: No. Homer: Did you raise the dead? Lisa: Yes. Homer: But the car's okay? Bart & Lisa: Uh-huh. Homer: All right then.

Offline PanosTRX

• antrx.com full member
  • What do you do when fuel cut isnt enough?
« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2003, 02:05PM »
I had the total same problem. Id just suddely happened to me and i didnt know what it was. i take it to a mechanic and he found it was the mass air  sensor. he took it out and sprayed it with carbie clean and now she runs like a dream. You have to be very carefull with the sensor as it consists of a sorta light globe filiment. if you spray it to close it might break.

have fun 8)  

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2003, 06:04PM »
if its a 2.4 litre, you could also check this:

when car has an erratic idle, open up the bonnet and jiggle the connector coming out of the maf sensor (just after the filter box) when this has a poor connection, car runs extremely rich and will idle somwhere in the regions of @500rm and idle sounding quite lumpy. also loss of power will become involved. it is also intermittent as well.

this sensor does not come up on the ecm light in the dash and it also directly affects ur air/fuel mixture.

hope this helps.

very true - you could see LOTS of unburnt petrol coming out of the exhaust pipe when I had that problem - the RAA guy just jiggled the MAF sensor and it was all good again.
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds