Author Topic: Bluebird LX U13 stuff  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Black_Serenade

• antrx.com junior member
Bluebird LX U13 stuff
« on: Jan 14, 2007, 04:31PM »
Hey guys, Got myself a 1996 Bluebird LX late last year, Had 242,000km on it but the engine is really nice still, has only had 1 owner, single mother. runs really really well. Everything is stock though and i've been looking at changing some stuff up. Not ricing it out or much on the performance front, im mainly going for maximum  fuel efficiency and general longevity of the engine and all parts associated.

This is my first car and i really know fuck all about cars. i've recently replaced the spark plugs with some Bosch normal thingos, Replaced the air filter with just some random steel frame job. Put some fuel injector cleaner in a fresh tank of fuel. Im doing an oil change/ filter change next week and replacing the leads in 3 weeks. Anything else i can do to keep the engine running well? Topped up the old oil but i was told not to use 10w/30 as its too thin for the engine as of its age and over 200,000km. think they said use 20w ..im not totally sure though i dont know much about cars. Radiator c oolant looks vibrat green still with no rust in it.

I was told something about being able to replace some of the air intake thing so it takes in more air and is a lil bit more fuel efficient? anyone know anything abou this? (engine is a KA24DE).

Another thing.. sorry guys! What is recommended for springs/suspension for the car? it has alot of body roll and movement ..and the springs also creak a little bit when you move the car.. im sure this cant be good... I dont really want total hard dropped to the floor sports wank suspension but id like it to be a bit firmer without so much body roll but also being able to keep a majority of the ride comfort.

Also what type of brakes are suggested for this car? I'm needing to replace them soon, discs and pads.

Thanks guys, i've visted here often but i just signed up now!

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: Bluebird LX U13 stuff
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2007, 05:21PM »
Welcome mate.

They are tough reliable engines (the KA's) and should see you well into the 300,000km range if you take good care of her.

What you've said all sounds good.  I agree with the thicker oil, but I don't own a KA24DE so I have no idea what oil nissan run in them out of the factory.  It might be a good idea to replace the fuel filter if your worried about fuel economy (unless it has been recently changed by the previous owner?)

How are the shocks?  If you push hard on a corner of the car does it bounce around or come back up softly?  If your shocks are good, then I doubt they are original and might be ok with some low springs (king/lovells, etc).  If the shocks are done, lowering the car will make the ride alot more bouncy.

If you can afford it, replace the front rotors with slotted items and buy some good quality pads.

Enjoy antrx champ! :)
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
Re: Bluebird LX U13 stuff
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2007, 05:57PM »
Welcome Black!!

The U13's are very common for body roll. The best way to resolve this without going over board on the suspension is to check out www.whiteline.com.au they have a good range or handling bits for any car. What you are after is a rear adjustable sway bar. These are 21mm and are hollow, as opposed to the 18 or 16mm stock. This will reduce your body roll by quiet a bit. Also lowering will make the handling that much better, but if you lower you may need to get camber bolts (which are also availiable thru whiteline.