Author Topic: 17" Tyres  (Read 1974 times)

Offline greenbird

• antrx.com senior member
17" Tyres
« on: May 27, 2006, 01:10PM »
My U13 is nearly due for a new set of tyres and I was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations for tyres of the particular size that i'm after.
My car is running 215/45 x 17's, with a load index of 91.
The load index is important, as this particular size tyre only comes in 2 different load ratings: 87 and 91. The U13 requires a minimum of 89 according to the tyre placard, so the only tyres I can legally use are the ones with the 91 load rating, which tends to make them more expensive.
At the moment, I've got Pirelli P6000's on the car and i've been pretty happy with them. They came with my wheels (all brand new) when I bought them and they've been quite good. I'm just scared of the price I would get charged for another set of Pirelli's. No punctures at all, nice and quiet and they've done over 30000kms (probably another 5000 left in them), which I believe is pretty good for a low profile 17" tyre. They aren't as grippy as the Dunlop FM901's that I have on my stock 15" rims though (it's a shame that the FM901's were discontinued, they were and awesome tyre).
In this size, what tyres are you runing, what did they cost and where did you get them from?? (If you don't mind telling...)
Cheers, Dan.
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • sth. oz local moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
Re: 17" Tyres
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 02:49PM »
When I got my rims they came with Nankang NS-II 215-40/17's which are too small and the wrong load rating. These tyres were very noisy, they make a load resonating noise when your drving along. As it turned out, the pedders joint that did my suspension didnt do some bolts up, my wheel alignment went out of whack and scrubbed my front tyres.

I bought 2 Hankook Ventus K104 215-40/17's which are too small as well, but I couldnt aford to get 4 tyres and if I had 2 different size tyres it would load up the centre diff constantly and wear things out rather quickly. The K104s are much better than the Nankang tyres, fairly quite and grip really well, they have a pretty good looking tread pattern too and I paid $200 each fitted for them. When I get the money I will be getting the right size tyres and I will probably go with the Hankook tyres again.

No to hijack this thread but do  235-45/17s fit our blueys?
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline NIZ013

• No longer a Nissan Driver...
  • post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 04:43PM »
I'm running 225/45/17 Eagle 1's on mine....They came with the mags when i bought them. Haven't had to buy new tyres as yet, but i will soon. I'm thinking of going the Nankangs, as everyone seems to think they're pretty good value.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 07:36PM by 73ENA »

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 08:34PM »
I have Nankang 215/45/17 on mine, load rating 91. I find that they have plenty of grip, not sure about noise because I can't hear it over my exhaust anyway  ::) They originally came with my wheels, since then i've replaced the 2 front ones with the same tyre because I was very happy with them. - A bonus is that they were cheapish at $150 each.

Offline TRXACT

• antrx.com junior member
  • new kid on the block
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 10:07PM »
I will be running the Dunlop Sport Maxx in 225/45R17. This tyre is 1.16% oversize (7.5mm bigger in diameter). My speedo will have less than 1.5kph variation.

Offline greenbird

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 10:03AM »
Thanks for the resopnses guys + girls.
I was already thinking about looking for a set of Nankangs, but for some reason I thought the load rating was too low? Dunno where i got that idea, as i just checked their website and sure enough, all tyres in  that sise are 91's.
Back in the 90's, before my current job I worked as a tyre fitter and we used to sell heaps of Nankang tyres. This was before they were as well known as they are today. Every customer that bought them swore by them and we even used to fit lots of them onto taxi's, as they used to do huge amounts of kilometers on them before needing to be replaced.
I think that the Nankangs will be a go-er for my car.
Bungs, Where bouts did you buy yours from in adelaide? Are they NS1's or NS2's?
Cheers Mate, Dan.

93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
17X7 Concept 5 wheels

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 02:02PM »
Bungs, Where bouts did you buy yours from in adelaide? Are they NS1's or NS2's?
Cheers Mate, Dan.

Dan, yeah they're NS2's. I got them at Bridgestone at Windsor Gardens, they need to order them in but it only took overnight for that.

Chris.

Offline greenbird

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 11:54AM »
Thanks Chris.
+ Karma...
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
17X7 Concept 5 wheels