Author Topic: Welding Exhaust  (Read 2033 times)

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
Welding Exhaust
« on: Dec 9, 2012, 07:29PM »
I had this in my project thread but thought it may be better suited to this section.

Guys

Okay well my situation has changed (for the better regarding my car). I have finished up work and will be taking an extended break and it is with my full attention that I'll be labouring hard core on the little white gem.

First of my major tasks is welding an exhaust. I have a MIG welder and it is normal steel. First time I have done it but will get some practice.

Now I don't have a work bench. My car sits in a row of garages in a shared unit block. I have a lot of time so I am going to be spot welding the exhaust in pieces and then doing installing it at the end. I need some metal to weld on so I don't char the concrete common driveway.

A guy at Bunnings told me that I can get a piece of truck body sheet metal that will be good enough for it. It doesn't have to be of big size but thick enough that it won't char the concrete.

What do you guys recommend for my welding project and how to approach. Doing it under the car is not an option given lack of room and only being on jack stands.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Re: Welding Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2012, 06:29AM »
I think supercheap do a fold up welding bench for about the $100 mark.

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2012, 09:50AM »
I think supercheap do a fold up welding bench for about the $100 mark.

Thanks SSS I'll check it out. I have to say youtube and the internet is awesome for car stuff. So much stuff you can learn from even if you know a fair bit. Full MIG welding tutorials on there, run by universities and experts for free.

Offline crazy2287

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2013, 08:19PM »
Dragging this up but a 1mm sheet of gal will do the trick. it will take ALOT of heat to go through that and char concrete. You will need to weld directly on the concreate ti chat it anyway, normal weld splatter should not leave any irremovable marks.
I drive like i screw..... illegally =D... wait O.o WHAT?? O.O

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #4 on: Mar 6, 2013, 10:26PM »
Dragging this up but a 1mm sheet of gal will do the trick. it will take ALOT of heat to go through that and char concrete. You will need to weld directly on the concreate ti chat it anyway, normal weld splatter should not leave any irremovable marks.

Appreciate your advice. I'm about to tackle this task this month. Thank You