Author Topic: turbo pcv issue  (Read 4641 times)

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
turbo pcv issue
« on: Oct 12, 2012, 08:49AM »
since i have got the turbo fitted to the engine i am having the dipstick getting blown out. seems this is a pcv /blowby issue . is a better pcv such as the RIPP http://www.rippmods.com/30psi_PCV_Valve_p/pcv1.htm?
 or this solution was suggested on another forum

On a VE+T, when I ran somewhat similar setup as the picture (Valve cover went to a breather), I would end up with the passenger side of the engine full of oil. The dip stick would blow out and blow oil, and the valve cover gasket would start spraying oil. Basically higher RPM's of a VE like for no crank pressure. Once I attached the Valve Cover breather to the turbo intake, all problems where solved.

or even this
http://www.republicsales.com/products/filters/mannprovent.php

i do have a catch can at the moment .
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2012, 09:07AM by pedro666 »
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re: turbo pcv issue
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2012, 02:24PM »
as i suggested in my email, the way i did it on the KA was to block off the PCV line to the intake plenum, remove the PCV check valve; it is the restriction and it is only required to prevent intake air from pressurising the crank case. if you are not sending blow by to the intake manifold, you don't need the valve.

run the crankcase ventilation line to your oil catch can. have the catch can filled loosely with steel wool, don't jam it in tight. you need the air to get back into your intake.

you will obviously need to periodically empty the catch can as the steel wool will capture excess oil, the remainder will return to the intake and be burnt off through the combustion process. it is still achieving the same thing, with no restriction at the crankcase vent, the only difference is you're putting the vented air into a different part of the intake.

my KA ran fine in this manner in both n/a and turbo. when dan turbo'd his KA he had the same problem, fixed it using the same method as i did with no problems with how the motor ran. i don't see why it would be any different for the SR.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2012, 02:29PM »
sorry i realise i should probably explain more. the PCV valve is a check valve. in laymans terms a check valve is a 1 way valve. the problem is that the boost pressure in your intake is going into the PCV line to the PCV valve and pushing the valve closed. this will stop the crankcase ventilation 100% of the time when you're on boost as this valve was not designed with boost in mind.

you might be able to retain the PCV check valve if you do as i've mentioned above, but keep the valve and route the line via your catch can. but keep in mind there will be higher pressure in the crankcase than normal as well (as per the literature you sent me earlier), the valve still might be a restriction because of this. i would give it a go first though.

also FYI, i ran both my crank case and my rocker cover ventilation lines via the same catch can reconnecting to the intake after the afm.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline pedro666

• post whore
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2012, 07:31PM »
all done engine feel bit different, seems to take bit more to boost, but only revving in the car-park. will take it for a quick drive down to the bottle shop later. if i can find a new pcv i think i will replace anyway as they are only around $10 with grommet

here is a diagram to help what noss said,

« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2012, 07:41PM by pedro666 »

skype_shannan801

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2012, 09:24PM »
Engine needs load to boost. Revving in car park won't give a very good indication.

Test drive is needed!
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline pedro666

• post whore
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2012, 03:26PM »
ok, replaced the catch can as the other was showing its age, and i also has too much wool in there ::). better ,but still no good. then tried venting pcv through a filter same result. i have ordered a sr20vet pcv( part number is #11810-75t00) from the xtrail gt and new dipstick, although they seem ok. i also agree with noss that the front pipe, going from the rocker to the block, may also need to be re-routed.

the pcv is at the end of word nissan
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2012, 03:33PM by pedro666 »

skype_shannan801

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2012, 06:29PM »
The one heading from the rocker to the block should have a basic air/oil separator on it I believe... but that might only be old SR20DE's and DET's
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline pedro666

• post whore
« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2012, 10:16PM »
only on DE not on the VE , they changed it ,They got rid of the stand-alone oil separator (catch can) and built it into the valve cover.

skype_shannan801

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2012, 11:18PM »
Ah, makes sense. Good luck with the vet valve from the xtrail hopefully that will sort your issues.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline pedro666

• post whore
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2012, 02:27PM »
one of the guys on the other forum had same issue with his vet. seem its pretty comon

i can blow through the valve i should only be able to blow through one way...hopefully it arrives soon..

skype_shannan801

Offline micka8

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2012, 08:24PM »
I had the same problem, I ran the pcv valve to the catch can and the rear hose to the catch can, then  i plugged off the front one going to the block, and plugged off the plenum chamber, you don't need the front hose to the block cause it can breathe down the side where the timing chain is, when I had it going from catch can back to intake it was sucking oil out of the catch can into intake pipe so I just put a little breather on the catch can, haven't had a problem since, I'll try put a photo up as a diagram
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2012, 08:28PM by micka8 »

Offline pedro666

• post whore
« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2012, 10:44PM »
i have just read this article o n junkyard turbos, saying we should run a one way check valve as-well as the stock pcv
http://www.junkyardturbos.com/Turbo-PCV-Systems.php

skype_shannan801

Offline pedro666

• post whore
« Reply #12 on: Nov 6, 2012, 05:34PM »
update, new pcv, catch can , oil level gauge, all sweet.

skype_shannan801