Author Topic: Just some opinions thanks guys . .  (Read 1871 times)

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
Just some opinions thanks guys . .
« on: Apr 4, 2007, 06:14PM »
Hey fellas,

Just wanted to get some quick opinions. I am a cheap bastard. I admit to it. Therefore meaning i have a cheap sound system. I am just trying to see what people think of what i have in mind, and if its going to blow up in my face or what not.

Currently i have a Pioneer DEH-3850MP unit (not top of the range obviously), Pioneer 6' in the front, and some cheap ass 6x9's in the rear. Now i DO NOT want this argument to turn into another of several "dont have 6x9's and a sub" arguments. I got this stuff cheap, so im keeping it. I have also heard subs running with 6x9's, and I PERSONALLY am not bothered by it so im going to keep it.

In approx 1 week i will be buying an amp and sub off of a mate for realllll cheap, as usual. It is a cheapo sub, but i know that. The amp is 4 channel x 55watt RMS.

What i want to know is, is it safe to amp the cheapy 6x9's with the amp. Being cheap they say stupidly high nominal power handling values (275) and max (550). I am bridging two of the amp channels for the sub, and the other 2 for my 6x9's. Is it safe on cheapies??

Thanks in advance to those who reply with answers related to the question. Cheers.
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
Re: Just some opinions thanks guys . .
« Reply #1 on: Apr 4, 2007, 08:14PM »
Yeah that'd work fine mate. Just make sure you high-pass the 6x9's when you hook them up to the amp. If the high-pass filter is adjustable set it to about 80hz, and set the low-pass filter for your sub to about 80hz.

You will also have to turn off the default low-pass filter on the head unit pre-outs. Check out the instruction manual for the procedure. If you can't find it I'll post it up here if you want. On the topic of head unit settings, set the high-pass filter on the speaker outputs to 80hz (HPF:80 in the audio menu).

I always say you can never have too much power running into your speakers because you can always turn the gains down. I quite often wire systems up with 100WRMS running into 60WRMS splits and they sound much better than when they've got 60WRMS running them. :D
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline P-Unit

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #2 on: Apr 5, 2007, 11:44AM »
I'm going to take a wild punt here and say the amp is bridgeable over 2 of the 4 channels which makes it a 4/3 channel amplifier the the Sony Xplod XM-504Z.

The only problem you may encounter is the stable load. Check the impedance of the sub, of the speakers and check what impedance the Amp is designed to operate at, don't just wire it up and get confused when it starts to smell like burning metal and carbon in the boot...

On your amp specs sheet ohms will appear in a Greek symbol which looks like a horseshoe

As for the tuning of the speakers and sub, thats a personal preference, some people don't use subs and 6*9s, some people low pass 6*9s and use them as subs. I have splits in the back and 5*7s in the front, so go figure. If you are in Melbourne and you want a hand tuning shoot me a pm and ill give you a hand.

Pete.

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #3 on: Apr 5, 2007, 01:08PM »
Im actually pretty sure its model no. XM554ZR. It is still a 4/3 channel amp, i am bridging 2 channels for the sub. Here is a Link: http://www.sony.com.au/xplod/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=22002

Im actually in SA, but tuning shouldnt be a problem, i am buying it monday off a member that OCCASIONALLY uses these forums (VHoyt), and i will get it hooked up when i get my car back, and well see from there.

Thanks for the help Jono and P-Unit!! + karma for the info.
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)