Author Topic: Power antena wire colours for U13?  (Read 2699 times)

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
Power antena wire colours for U13?
« on: Feb 7, 2007, 04:21PM »
Okay, this is the sitch (kim possible ftw)

I've just added a PCI FM radio card to my carputer so i can get radio *yay*, but the FM antenna that came with the card is crap. So basically I'm wondering if any of you know the wire colours from the car's antenna that line up to the FM signal, I'm not entirely sure how it works but I'm guessing there is a signal + ground?

I'll take pics if you guys need them. :)
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
Re: Power antena wire colours for U13?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 7, 2007, 06:47PM »
there should have been a black co-axial cable for the antenna signal itself. It has a banana plug on the end. its best to go get some connectors to adapt it to the connection on the pci card otherwise you'll have non-stop trouble with it falling out/coming loose.
The wire you need to trigger the electric antenna will be a positive input and grounded near the antenna. suggest probing around with a test light til the antenna pops up.

my side question is why the hell would you want radio? so you can listen to young divas and black eyed peas every 2 minutes. I used to just hate tv but radio is getting the same for me now  >:(
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #2 on: Feb 7, 2007, 06:49PM »
wait it just occured to me that your antenna is in the boot right next to your pci card..doh! just find the thickish black cable and pull it back from the head unit location if possible. Pull as much as you can anyways. It is possible to solder it but you have to tape it good.

I may be wrong but the power antenna should have 3 wires. Ground, constant 12v and up/down signal which is positive, there will be more wires if your car has a switch to control the height of it.

you're also right about the coaxial cable having a signal/ground. If you strip it back you will see there is an outer sheath of copper, thats the ground, There is then the inner core which is the signal. They both need to be connected. You can get away with just the inner core but I dont recommend it due to interference and shit.

If your pci card just has one of those little telesopic antennas then all you need to do is hook the inner core of the coax up to it. the card will be grounded to the chassis of your pc case, which will be grounded to the car no doubt.
« Last Edit: Feb 7, 2007, 06:58PM by rathies »
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #3 on: Feb 7, 2007, 07:10PM »
Well, i got radio cos everyone is like COOL!@!!!one11!!

.....does it do radio?  - errr no, I'm working on that

that and I had a tv/radio card laying around doing nothing and I enjoy adding things to my carputer (it's a disease)

plus for saturday night cruises i think nova does a mix-track thing which is really good, "fusion" i think they call it.

the plug on the PCI card is a RCA-like plug with two thin wires coming out of it, I'm going to assume the card grounds in the case and just hook up the signal. As for the up/down wire i'm thkning I might hook it up to the amp power-on wire, but that'll mean constant antenna up.

guess i could go...

|==== Switch in dash === Antenna up/down (in car's radio loom)
Power supply "AMP ON" pin out =====|
                                                   |==== Amp remote on

I think that'll work nicely, so I can choose to put down the antenna if I wish while driving

13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 7, 2007, 07:23PM »
I think that'll work nicely, so I can choose to put down the antenna if I wish while driving

i would do the switch on the dash one, also for the antenna, if you havent already thought of or done this, you can use that RCA thing that came with it, just strip the ends of the wires and strip back the cars antenna wire and join em, making sure that the center wire is still the center wire because the car antenna wire has this two core thingo, alot like TV antenna wire.
Quote from: SECLUDED

When are you not drunk Ammerty...lol  ::) ;D

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 7, 2007, 07:55PM »
If you want to be really tricky you could hook up the antenna that's built into your rear window so you don't need to use the main mast. The only problem is the signal from those antennas is fairly weak, so you'd probably need an antenna amplifier.

I'm not sure where the antenna cable for the windscreen antenna runs, but I know it ends up as the smaller of the two antenna cables behind the dash.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #6 on: Feb 7, 2007, 09:00PM »
Never knew there was an antenna in the rear window, I'll look into it.

at the moment I've got the crappy antenna thing under the roof lining in the back of the car, it just isn't working at all (not that i expected it to)
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 7, 2007, 10:29PM »
If you have a look at the demister lines in your rear window there will be a section at the top that isn't connected to the main demister. That's the antenna that was originally used by the factory radio in a diversity setup.

I'm not sure exactly how it works but two antennas means better reception.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #8 on: Feb 7, 2007, 10:51PM »
you still got the retractable errectioning antenna in the side of the boot right? if so just roll with that, screw the windscreen shit this aint no landrover discovery. Can you see the thick coax cable coming from it? if so bodge it into the connector that came with your pci card.
*is drunk right now*

just experiment man. If it works it fuckin works..lol.  :D
« Last Edit: Feb 7, 2007, 10:54PM by rathies »

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 7, 2007, 11:43PM »
man you can tell when your pissed, lol
Quote from: SECLUDED

When are you not drunk Ammerty...lol  ::) ;D

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #10 on: Feb 8, 2007, 11:16PM »
yup.  ;)