Author Topic: wat do people think about the old sony subs  (Read 6281 times)

Offline kebbo

• antrx.com junior member
wat do people think about the old sony subs
« on: Sep 7, 2006, 04:44PM »
ive got a pair of these 10 inches, i rekn they sound better then the newer versions..

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
Re: wat do people think about the old sony subs
« Reply #1 on: Sep 7, 2006, 05:08PM »
the newer hexagon ones are pure shite. A mate of mine had a pair of those ones pictured, we never knew the real potential because they weren't powered well enough, having said that I think all of the sonys are quite power hungry.
if you look at a pioneer tws306c that goes nuts on only 100wrms, where the sony would barely move.

But if you like the sound then stick with it.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline kebbo

« Reply #2 on: Sep 7, 2006, 06:16PM »
yeh those new sony one was freekin suck we peer pressured our mate to buy one of 12 inche ones powered off one of the sony 500w amps it sounds terrible

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #3 on: Sep 7, 2006, 06:28PM »
I'm not sure about the latest sony subs because i haven't been into car audio for a year or so, but in general sony lick donkey balls in any area of car audio, with the exception of decks because every deck is pretty much the same no matter what brand.

Offline kebbo

« Reply #4 on: Sep 7, 2006, 07:14PM »
thats a bit of bs, sony might not be the top of the car audio world but they can still produce some pretty decent shit  ;D

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Sep 7, 2006, 07:15PM »
im going to say this again..

old school sony = good.

my sony 6x9's sound the best out of all 6x9's ive heard (not running a sub), they make the strongest, clearest and best bass out of 4 other 6x9's ive heard.

But maybe that was just because i had them mounted properly and others didnt, but i couldn't see any room for improvement after this as it would be more like a subwoofer.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #6 on: Sep 7, 2006, 07:18PM »
thats a bit of bs, sony might not be the top of the car audio world but they can still produce some pretty decent shit  ;D

I beg to differ, but in the grand scheme of things it's your car and it's you who has to listen to it. If it sounds good to your ears then that's all that matters.

Offline kebbo

« Reply #7 on: Sep 7, 2006, 07:45PM »
yep thats what it comes down 2

Offline [JET-20T]

• anwrx member no.1
  • antrx.com junkie
  • boxer
« Reply #8 on: Sep 7, 2006, 09:55PM »

But maybe that was just because i had them mounted properly and others didnt

ermm i installed them  :P
traction kicked in yo!

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #9 on: Sep 7, 2006, 09:57PM »
yeh.. whateva..same shit.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 7, 2006, 10:04PM »
Sony from about '00 to '03 = shit, outside of that it's pretty decent except for their hexagon subs.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline omad

• antrx.com senior member
  • that's MR. Monkey to you...
« Reply #11 on: Sep 9, 2006, 05:46AM »
I'm not sure about the latest sony subs because i haven't been into car audio for a year or so, but in general sony lick donkey balls in any area of car audio, with the exception of decks because every deck is pretty much the same no matter what brand.

Umm. No.

The deck is the heart of the system. I GUARANTEE that if you had a $5000 system hooked up to a sony deck and tuned it as best you could it would sound ok. If you then got, say... and eplise or alpine deck and tuned it as best you could it would sound at least 2-5 times better.

Skimping on a deck is something people do far too often, including me. I've learnt now that if you want to build a great system, outlay heaps on the deck and build gradually from there.

I do, however, agree that sony stuff is pretty much all poo poo. Most people who disagree
A) haven't heard a decent sytem that's set up right
B) are cheapasses that want to believe sony's teh wikkedzor
C) are disillusioned by the success and quality of sony Hi-Fi (sony Hi-Fi good, sony car stereo bad)
D) work at, or have been talking to salespersons from Strathfeild, Audiocom, Supercheap etc. (no offence)

Go to a local albert's car audio or the like that don't just sell sony and pioneer and have a listen or get them to sort you out.
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #12 on: Sep 9, 2006, 11:51AM »
Sony from about '00 to '03 = shit, outside of that it's pretty decent except for their hexagon subs.
WRONG! my mate got jipped into sony 6's all round only a year ago. They didnt even last a year.

Skimping on a deck is something people do far too often, including me. I've learnt now that if you want to build a great system, outlay heaps on the deck and build gradually from there.

I do, however, agree that sony stuff is pretty much all poo poo. Most people who disagree
A) haven't heard a decent sytem that's set up right
B) are cheapasses that want to believe sony's teh wikkedzor
C) are disillusioned by the success and quality of sony Hi-Fi (sony Hi-Fi good, sony car stereo bad)
D) work at, or have been talking to salespersons from Strathfeild, Audiocom, Supercheap etc. (no offence)
Agreed, hasn't everyone here seen the average young bogan that thinks the most basic pioneer or sony deck can destroy the neighbourhood? Everytime I see that I say to em 'dude your deck is the downfall of your whole system' then when I finally talk them into a new one they can't believe the difference.
I dont know if the thieves were just stupid, but they broke into my mates car and his shitty bottom line pioneer deck was the only thing they didn't steal.

anyway back on topic, this is a thread about sony door stops.
« Last Edit: Sep 9, 2006, 01:29PM by rathies »
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #13 on: Sep 9, 2006, 09:42PM »
Okay, let me rephrase.

Sony stuff is decent for entry level car audio. It isn't anything ground breaking or special even, it is just cheap stuff that works.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2006, 03:33PM »
LOL this reminds me of stick and my thread when i was new here. Basicly guys this is a debate about what your ears like to listen to, so no-body is going to be right except you.

Offline gach2

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #15 on: Oct 31, 2006, 08:25PM »
im srs not a fan off sony car audio

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #16 on: Oct 31, 2006, 11:02PM »
if you are comparing to kenwood, pioneer, jvc, clarion etc etc, sony is on par with those kind of brands, because they are all entry level products, they have no comparison to the more expensive, better quality brands.  Ive always stuck up for sony, but in general, sony have NEVER made a good sub. period.

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline omad

« Reply #17 on: Oct 31, 2006, 11:39PM »
I'd have a kenwood, pioneer, jvc and probably even a clarion deck over a sony... and I'm not a fan of clarion.

Sony's car stuff is crap. Their speakers are average, either not clear, too raspy or just don't perform generally. The decks are rubbish. The features are lax, running speakers of them is a joke, the RCA-out's are weak and poor. The amps are underpowered, over-rated, over-heating heaps of junk. The subs are average, but not as notably poor as everything else. I'd rather listen to the stock radio than invest money in a sony car audio product.
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #18 on: Nov 1, 2006, 08:11PM »
A quote from a friend that is probably the smartest thing said about car audio.

A brand is a brand. A $500 headunit by brand X will be as good/not noticaly different to brand Y.

Like everything in life, you pay for wat u get. By a "entry lvl hu or anything eles in car audio then most likly it will be "entry lvl"

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #19 on: Nov 1, 2006, 09:41PM »
Just to put some things in perspective i bought a $1400 pioneer headunit (retail was $1950, got it at a JB Halloween sale) and i am now using a $1000 alpine headunit (top of the 2005 range cd tuner) and the pioneer shits all over the alpine in so many ways its not funny.

The only thing the alpine has over the pioneer is it has amplink allowing adjustments of gain controls on v12 or better amps. It also has the option of saving up to 6 different crossover, time correction, equaliser settings.

Needless to say i will be going back to using the pioneer when  I get it back as the sound quality is so much better out of the pioneer.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline omad

« Reply #20 on: Nov 4, 2006, 10:18AM »
A quote from a friend that is probably the smartest thing said about car audio.

A brand is a brand. A $500 headunit by brand X will be as good/not noticaly different to brand Y.

Like everything in life, you pay for wat u get. By a "entry lvl hu or anything eles in car audio then most likly it will be "entry lvl"

Your friend is an idiot.

Kranzy: I'm guessing the pioneer also does time correction, crossover etc etc. The thing is, though, when did you buy the alpine vs the pioneer? In the same year/price bracket I'd say the alpine woud probably win out for sound quality. Pioneer is still a good brand, though, especially when you're spending that much on a deck... it'd be in my shortlist.
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #21 on: Nov 4, 2006, 05:03PM »
Your friend is an idiot.

Kranzy: I'm guessing the pioneer also does time correction, crossover etc etc. The thing is, though, when did you buy the alpine vs the pioneer? In the same year/price bracket I'd say the alpine woud probably win out for sound quality. Pioneer is still a good brand, though, especially when you're spending that much on a deck... it'd be in my shortlist.

Um no he isnt. Infact hes #1 in aus for SPL. Are u disagreeing with his comment about you get wat u pay for?

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 5, 2006, 02:31PM »

Kranzy's Pioneer deck is quite a few years older than his Alpine deck.

And you do get what you pay for to an extent, but some brands do some things better than others.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #23 on: Nov 5, 2006, 07:46PM »
Yeah pioneer deck is 04 model, alpine is end of 05 model.

The pioneer has everything that the alpine does, except the fact that you can store six different presets for time correc. x-over eq etc. where as the pioneer deck only has one crossover, time correc, and 2 eq.

The pioneer deck will be going back in the car very soon me thinks.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline omad

« Reply #24 on: Nov 15, 2006, 08:42PM »
Um no he isnt. Infact hes #1 in aus for SPL. Are u disagreeing with his comment about you get wat u pay for?

No, I'm disagreeing with his rediculous comment that all brands are the same. That's got to be the stupidest car audio advice I've ever heard.

Seriously. A $200 sound4 deck is as good as a $200 eclipse deck? And it's just as bad, if not worse with amps, speakers etc..

I don't care who the guy is, that's just a plain, simple stupid and irrogant remark.
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #25 on: Nov 16, 2006, 09:06PM »
who frigin cares man?

this thread has been dead for 2 weeks, why flog a dead horse?

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

Offline omad

« Reply #26 on: Nov 17, 2006, 12:50AM »
I haven't been on for 2 weeks ?  -_-
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #27 on: Nov 17, 2006, 10:12PM »
So? why dig it up?

Offline omad

« Reply #28 on: Nov 18, 2006, 03:59PM »
Dude, I haven't been on. It's only 2 weeks old. I replied to what was said.

get over it.
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.