Author Topic: project death by decibels  (Read 9704 times)

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
project death by decibels
« on: Jun 3, 2006, 12:38PM »
It was quite fun going into strathfield yesterday and letting them know we meant business.
Basically I already had a JBL GT3-15' sub which is the previous model. I was trying to find another but I can only get a GT4 series, and that would mean only 2 subs.

Then we spotted the GT4 12" subs and they did us a great deal. so we bought 4 of them, the salesman just kept stopping in the middle of his speech and saying stuff like 'shit' 'damn' and 'that is whack'.
Here's a link to my new babies, we shall be building an enclosure today.
http://www.jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=GT4-12/230&cat=SUB&ser=GTO&language=ENG&country=AU&region=EUROPE

Pics later
« Last Edit: Jun 3, 2006, 12:40PM by rathies »
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
Re: project death by decibels
« Reply #1 on: Jun 3, 2006, 01:17PM »
man,

are you going in a comp or anything?

otherwise i think it's all noise  :P

but i'd like to see how you mount them all in, i have an idea and it would like quite good too !
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Jun 3, 2006, 07:10PM »
i assume you bought these from strathfield?

The GT4s are awesome, way better that the current series of JBL woofers, but just make sure the have lots of power, as they dont seem to make much noise without it, we built a demo board at work that had 2 of the GT4 15s running a GTO6011 mono each, and that thing was LOUD! we had it at the brisbane motor show a couple years back, and it was actually drowning out Northfields alpine demo car that was parked 20m away

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #3 on: Jun 4, 2006, 03:34AM »
damn right. its 12.30am now. i'll be goiing in a comp in about 8.5 hours...fuck this is excititing..btw i got some pics

yes sstick i got these subs from strathfield and the are fucking killer I was lucky to pick them up for $85/piece they were rrp $129 according to the sticker on the box

« Last Edit: Jun 4, 2006, 03:48AM by rathies »
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #4 on: Jun 4, 2006, 03:42AM »
here are the pics:
we had to build the box in 2 halves..here is the test fit..

bye bye boot space.. I guess the road map will have to sit on the back seat... it has 3x100mm ports.

after some nice carpteting and stuff..fuck this is gonna kill. The sad part is that I can't even fit the car fridge in there no more.
« Last Edit: Jun 4, 2006, 03:46AM by rathies »

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Jun 4, 2006, 09:51AM »
ehhhhh

why don't you weld the boot to the body now and putty it up since you don't need it anymore  ;D.

It's kind of good, i would of done it another way.. but still. have fun :

-defeaning yourself and passengers
-rattling your boot away
-shaking your front bumper off
-oh and setting car alarms off

thats some of my problems  :P
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #6 on: Jun 4, 2006, 09:57AM »
I doubt this setup will outlive today. its only for the comp today. unless it absolutely flogs arse then we'll keep it.
Oh and i'll keep a few spare windscreens just incase.

When we were at strathfield the salesman pointed to the standard bogan issue sony sub suggesting that they're pretty loud. I said to him 'I don't care what you tell me I wouldn't touch that with a 10ft pole. Then he said 'yer they are pretty crap, I wouldn't either' Fucking hypocritcal mofo!
« Last Edit: Jun 4, 2006, 10:06AM by rathies »

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #7 on: Jun 4, 2006, 10:11AM »
It's kind of good, i would of done it another way.. but still. have fun :

if you can find a better way to cram 256L of sub box into a u12 chr1s. Enthuse me. oh and it has to be slightly serviceable aswell.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: Jun 4, 2006, 03:13PM »
once mines in, there should be no reason to pull it out unless you want to replace the gear :P.

Offline Bullion

• antrx.com full member
  • Hey hey!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 4, 2006, 04:39PM »
How did it go? Was this at autosalon this weekend?

I don't understand why you would spend $85 on subs and say that Sony are crap? Most $85 subs will be crap...
1993 U13 Bluebird

Powered by Alpine Electronics and D2 Racing Suspension

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: Jun 4, 2006, 07:03PM »
I don't understand why you would spend $85 on subs and say that Sony are crap? Most $85 subs will be crap...

anything below $200 is usually shit, but i have to admit, the only reason these JBLs are $85 is because they are 2 series old, and quit stock so we dump the ass out of the price, they retailed at $329 back in the day.

thats a massive freaking box, how did it go? i imagine it was designed for spl moreso than sq?

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #11 on: Jun 4, 2006, 09:07PM »
the comp was for spl and sq. It was called sony megacrank, and co-incidentally they kept trying to flog sony shit that none of the 30 or 40 cars had anyway.

I got this look of fear as i rolled upto the testing spot because I had left my boot open for all to gawk at the setup. I managed a 137.2 dB burp which is considerably good considering I had alot of underpowering happening. I came 2nd to a Navara in my category, the navara had 4 pioneer 12's in the back of the king cab, it was crazy the guys windscreen was about to pop-off. Don't let me sound too legendary though there were only 2 cars in my category cos no one else had 4 subs.  The navara pulled 141 dB or something.
He had 2x900wrms monos (@2ohm) and I had 1x820wrms mono (@1ohm)

I've got another monoblock the same with fucked power regulators. once I find out what to replace them with i'll be running a total of 1400wrms at 2ohm.

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #12 on: Jun 4, 2006, 09:36PM »
id be dissapointed with 141 out of 4 12s running 1800rms.

like to see what you can do with more power

Offline CS2rex

• antrx.com full member
  • formerly mark_sss
« Reply #13 on: Jun 4, 2006, 10:26PM »
thats insane dude, hope u dont need boot space. wat do u think ur system will put out when its properly powered?? caus i got 130dB with 1sub, i'd hate to see wat urs could do once at peak. good luck with it dude.  8)

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #14 on: Jun 5, 2006, 08:00AM »
with the right power, around 145db id say, not much more than that.

Offline Bullion

• antrx.com full member
  • Hey hey!
« Reply #15 on: Jun 5, 2006, 10:24AM »
If you use the same setup that did 137 with 800rms then to get 145 you'll need over 3500rms...  :o

I'd suggest a smaller box, and bigger ports... I've done over 140 from a single 12" sub with only 800rms...
1993 U13 Bluebird