Author Topic: Single DIN headunit... $300 or a shade more  (Read 3760 times)

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Single DIN headunit... $300 or a shade more
« on: Aug 10, 2009, 04:25PM »
Ok guys.

Now I need help.  I'm looking to get a new headunit for my U13 SSS, I'm going for a single DIN unit as I have a sunglasses holder from a U13 LX to go in place of the stock double DIN unit.

My prerequisites are-

- Must have a REAR usb connection, so I could plug a USB stick or iPod into a cable left in the glovebox with the other end plugged into the back of the headunit all the time.
- Must have 2x RCA outputs, front/sub --- 3x is nice, but not totally necessary.

I'm looking around $300-$350'ish

Been looking at this Pioneer unit DEH-4105UB $329 --> http://www.soundmaster.com.au/list.asp?id=1625&desc=Pioneer-DEH-P4150UB-Car-CD-MP3-IPOD-USB-Tuner-(DEHP4150UB

And this JVC KDR805 $367 a bit expensive, control look yucky as well --> http://www.ryda.com.au/JVC-KD-R805-Car-MP3-Bluetooth-Ipod-Tuner-p/kdr805.htm

Guys, I'm after your thoughts as I plan to plug in a cheap USB stick and leave it there, only taking out when I want to add a new album i've downloaded.  The controls must be intuitive and having a screen that can display most/all of a song name would be nice.

I used to have a JVC unit in my old Corsair, now I have an Alpine deck in my U12 ATTESA which I never use.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2009, 04:27PM by Budgie »
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
Re: Single DIN headunit... $300 or a shade more
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2009, 04:37PM »
To be totally honest, the pioneer looks tacky, and at $300ish or whatever it was, probably end up with some annoying problem like knob failure, screen failure or ground loop problem (has happened in all my pioneers bar current one, which cost in excess of 500).

A mate of mine also has the JVC 805, when on it looks quite good, and the controls were relatively easy to use. Only had a limited fiddle with it though, so not 100% clued up, and dont want to lie to you lol.
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2009, 04:55PM »
A mate of mine also has the JVC 805, when on it looks quite good, and the controls were relatively easy to use. Only had a limited fiddle with it though, so not 100% clued up, and dont want to lie to you lol.

Just downloaded a high-res image of the JVC unit... looks quite good.  I had pioneer in my old grey TRX, which adam now has.  That headunit stuffed up occasionally.

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2009, 05:05PM »
I dont know if it mentions it, but it has like 65k colour diplay that constantly morphs (if thats how u would describe it lol).. yeah i love my pioneer head units but this one is the first one ive ever had that hasnt had some form of problem
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2009, 05:14PM »
Yeah, you can set the colour of the display... which I like, as the instruments/dials in my U13 are kind of 'white/grey' ish...

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2009, 11:07PM »
Soundmaster still have Kenwood XXV01D's! /jizz!

umm.... anyway...

I like Kenwood's range - great sound for a lowish price, but no rear USB in their current range. Some of the older ones did have rear usb (from memory KDC-MP5033U). IMO they aren't as good looking as other brands but that seems to be changing.

Pioneer - lots of chrome but average units otherwise, in my experience they're unreliable once they get a year or two of use on them.

JVC - good value for money, average units but significantly cheaper than the rest.

Clarion - riding on the reputation of their name. I've never thought they sound all that good. They pioneered the use of million-changey-colour backlights in their displays.

Alpine - good gear, but seem a bit exxy for what they are.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!