Author Topic: The truth about your zorst  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com senior member
  • Pinny Panthers
The truth about your zorst
« on: Oct 27, 2003, 02:06PM »
Well like every one else pretty much every where i always believed that cars needed backpressure to run properly and that this was the reasons for power loss on small cars with big zorst (or big cars with huge zorst), hehe i was wrong though. Apparently the real reason for the loss of power is that while a bigger zorst dose reduce backpressure it also reduces the air flow "speed", you need a zorst that lowers the backpressure while still having a high flow rate since this fast flow of air tends to have a suction type effect drawing out the emissions from the valves, and of course better air quality when combustion takes place = more power

Basically it's the same as the old backpressure myth but it's always good to know the truth behind some thing. And of course this rule only applies to NA cars.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Re:The truth about your zorst
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2003, 02:14PM »
The only reason behind going as large an exhaust on a turbo motor is the exhaust turbine provides the back pressure required to make any sort of torque.

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com senior member
  • Pinny Panthers
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2003, 02:38PM »
Exactly, but NA cars are only capable of producing a limited amount of backpressure based on there size/power. But i probably should have stated that above what i said instead of below

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2003, 03:44PM »
That's ok, i understood what you meant. From what i've read optimum back pressure is no higher than 2 psi.