Author Topic: you're not old enough..  (Read 8615 times)

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
you're not old enough..
« on: Sep 20, 2011, 12:00PM »
if you don't know what this is, then you're not old enough to be on this website!

http://www.aporcupine.com/dialup.swf

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
Re: you're not old enough..
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2011, 02:08PM »
Bahahaha.. Without giving away too much I remember these days.. And it was a god send when upgraded... so phone calls could be allowed at the same time lol ;D
Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline Jecks

• antrx.com pit crew
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
    • antrx.com
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2011, 05:47PM »
hahahahaa... yes!!
startcraft over dialup ;D ;D
I'm sick of my knob going all floppy and loose in my hand  :P 
I've been on probation for 21 years, can't make a decision without consulting the wife first  ::)

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2011, 06:36PM »
Indeed, Crimson Skies and Midtown Madness over dial-up for me! :)
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2011, 06:58PM »
fk yes! good ol' starcraft where 300 ping was teh win.

I remember direct dialing to my cousins house and playing red alert for hours on end.
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2011, 08:42PM »
haha thats awesome!

I remember you could pick up the phone and whistle and it will whistle back lol...would drop the connection thought haha
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2011, 11:00PM »
uh huh

ye old BBS days...I remember d/l'd the anarchists cookbook....that shit would get you on a dozen watch lists these days!!!

Made for interesting reading, about the only thing I ever tried from it was the phreaking stuff, I was fucking wrapt when I could make free calls from old telstra payphones using a portable dtmf dialler from an old answering machine!

Offline deviate

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2011, 05:19PM »
LMFAO love the gif bring back memories used to take a week to dl a movie

Offline thumbtack

• thats not gone well
  • rum country correspondant
  • post whore
  • fallaces sunt rerum species
« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2011, 01:21PM »
those facial expressions are pretty much how i felt when trying to connect.
The old USSR had a single time zone. They had a hammer and sickle in the ground near the Kremlin much like a sundial.
Arguments raged for years as to what to call the timezone
Moscow Time?
Comrade Time?
In the end they all agreed.
Hammer Time.

the thumbtack corporation tm is not responsible for any injuries incurred as a result of thumbtack. any resemblance to any stationery, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline crazy2287

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #9 on: Sep 25, 2011, 09:48PM »
middle of the night, trying to sneak on....
*clicks dial*
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERAAAAAARRRRRR RR
!!1 OMG WHERE MUTE ?!?
*parents yelling*
FML >O<
I drive like i screw..... illegally =D... wait O.o WHAT?? O.O

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #10 on: Sep 29, 2011, 09:39PM »
Gezzzzz brings be back to when i was playing age of empires and first got age of mythology and played that online.......

Good times
"Noss is God"

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2011, 10:46PM »
thats when lans where the best multiplayer...that would have been when the DL DVD burners where introduced..x4 speed... pure awesomeness
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801

Offline crazy2287

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #12 on: Oct 2, 2011, 12:40AM »
thats when lans where the best multiplayer...that would have been when the DL DVD burners where introduced..x4 speed... pure awesomeness

you mean cd burners?
I had an 8x creAtive cd burner, cost nearly $300 o.O

Offline Cheezel

« Reply #13 on: Oct 2, 2011, 05:25PM »
I feel way too young reading this thread. I mean, don't get me wrong, I've used a commodore 64 - but that was only 5 or so years ago, when i started learning about computers. :P

And good GOD do I remember that noise. Although it's longer than I remember... Just a fraction. Maybe I got the 'updated' version? ;)

My first computer was an old P-II running DOS. Jungle Jill ftw! Then we got a P4 celeron and started playing doom... I also learned how to overclock at oh such a tender age. How embarassing.. Overclocked it by a whole 0.2Ghz on stock air! :O... yeah it did fuck all. :D

Offline thumbtack

• thats not gone well
  • rum country correspondant
  • post whore
  • fallaces sunt rerum species
« Reply #14 on: Oct 2, 2011, 09:01PM »
Jungle Jill ftw!

shitters, i'd forgotten that game! I used to go next door and play with the kids there, and the youngest boy would always make her crouch down cos you could see more boobage. haha! crazy kid.
The old USSR had a single time zone. They had a hammer and sickle in the ground near the Kremlin much like a sundial.
Arguments raged for years as to what to call the timezone
Moscow Time?
Comrade Time?
In the end they all agreed.
Hammer Time.

the thumbtack corporation tm is not responsible for any injuries incurred as a result of thumbtack. any resemblance to any stationery, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline Cheezel

« Reply #15 on: Oct 2, 2011, 09:20PM »
I genuinly don't remember that! I just remember thinking "why are all the apples half eaten and why would she want them so badly?". Despite that, I always collected every single apple in each level... or near enough.

Jumping a few generations forward, whenever I think of a cartoon/video game and apple-eating (which is scarily common), I always think of Crash Bandicoot and collecting the Wumpa fruit. That noise. That's the generic "cartoon eating an apple' noise in my head. ;D

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
« Reply #16 on: Oct 2, 2011, 10:52PM »
I've used a commodore 64
a c64 with a tape drive! easy 40min load time , the for the side 2!
games where easy to dupe,  :D
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801

Offline crazy2287

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #17 on: Oct 3, 2011, 11:59AM »
Yeah they had then sneaky little mini-games in them that required an answer from the manual. Or off the box. or made by a "code wheel" where you match these symbols to make the code, seemed fun at the time. But without these things you couldn't continue the game. That's right, very early forms of copy protection. =P

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #18 on: Oct 4, 2011, 02:00PM »
you mean cd burners?
I had an 8x creAtive cd burner, cost nearly $300 o.O

first double speed cd-rom drive my old man bought me, came with a 16bit creative sound card, was $540.

you couldn't write cd's back then!

My first computer was an old P-II running DOS. Jungle Jill ftw! Then we got a P4 celeron and started playing doom...

my first 'ibm comatible' pc was a 486 SX25 which had turbo boost to 33mhz. i never understood why you couldn't just run it at 33 all the time, or if the turbo boost was complete bs. it had a 250mb hard drive, 4gb of ram and a 256kb video card.

it ran doom pretty well actually, but it couldn't run doom 2. i was learning autocad at school at the time (v10, in dos) and i found a copy of it on a bbs and downloaded it (1 x 1.44mb disk), i couldn't however run autocad either, as it required the cpu to have a maths co-processor, which the 486 sx chips didn't have, so i went on the hunt for a dx chip.

i found myself a 486 DX-2 66 for $50. i didn't even think about motherboard compatibility, didn't realise it was an issue. luckily it wasn't.. i swapped it in (no heat sinks back then!) and away i went.

not only could i use my pirated autocad v10 at home, but i could also play doom 2.

absolute fucking winner!

my first computer however, was an Amstrad CPC 6128, 4mhz cpu and 128kb of RAM, complete with a 3" floppy disk built into the keyboard and a colour screen! i felt so much cooler than my uncle cause he had the CPC 464 with the tape deck in the keyboard.
« Last Edit: Oct 4, 2011, 02:02PM by noss »

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #19 on: Oct 4, 2011, 02:21PM »
4gb ram is awesome! :-p
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Cheezel

« Reply #20 on: Oct 4, 2011, 03:06PM »
Yep. Noss im calling bs unless your real name is Marty :P

I miss Cpu cards.. I was in the "advanced" it class in my school. The work entailed puttinf headers and footers on ms word docs. ::)

One of the sections relied on having a linux/xp machine. Not having one, yet having 20 broken, old computers, our teacher allowed me and two others to build one from the scraps. We got it running eventually... So much nostalgia! PII-233, 256mb of ram (!!), 20gb hard drive. Was awesome! Never did install an os on it.. Not sure why. I think we tried and it took too long? We did overclock it though... Didnt go far =\

Offline crazy2287

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #21 on: Oct 5, 2011, 01:31AM »

my first 'ibm comatible' pc was a 486 SX25 which had turbo boost to 33mhz. i never understood why you couldn't just run it at 33 all the time, or if the turbo boost was complete bs. it had a 250mb hard drive, 4gb of ram and a 256kb video card.

The turbo button was to help with emulations of older games. Some older games didn't have an instruction to tell the computer how time was to be perceived. It would just take so many turns/frames per so many clock cycles. as a result if you ran on a faster processor the game itself would run like it was on crack and a 100 shot of noss. The button was to just slow the processor in order to emulate older games. So you really were supposed to run on turbo all the time unless playing said game =P

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #22 on: Oct 5, 2011, 09:23AM »

oops.. 4mb of ram. upgraded it to 8mb of ram for $380 a few years later!

The turbo button was to help with emulations of older games. Some older games didn't have an instruction to tell the computer how time was to be perceived. It would just take so many turns/frames per so many clock cycles. as a result if you ran on a faster processor the game itself would run like it was on crack and a 100 shot of noss. The button was to just slow the processor in order to emulate older games. So you really were supposed to run on turbo all the time unless playing said game =P

sorry i did run it on turbo all the time, i mean, why the button was there cause i ran it on turbo all the time.. having a bad day man!