Author Topic: Heat coming from my handbrake area  (Read 1903 times)

Offline jet

• antrx.com junior member
Heat coming from my handbrake area
« on: Nov 20, 2009, 05:00PM »
Hi everyone. This is my first ever post so I hope this is in the right place and in the right section. If not then feel free to move or edit this as you wish.

Anyway, I just wanted to check to see if any other u12 Pintara TRX or any u12 has the same issue as me.

When I drive for long distances I can feel alot of heat coming from the rubber slit of where the handbrake comes out of. It feels pretty hot and since it's summer it's really starting to annoy me. Does anyone know what's wrong or how to fix it? Besides the obvious putting my window down or AC on. Thanks.

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
Re: Heat coming from my handbrake area
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2009, 05:03PM »
Would be your exhaust, more specifically the catalytic converter. It should have a heat shield above it but yours may've gone missing at some stage. Take a look to see if it's there and if not grab one from the wreckers or someone on here.
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2009, 08:17PM »
Yeah i've got this issue, but it doesnt bother me at all. I took my sheild off to fit a short shifter... now the gearstick gets mighty warm because the base of it is about 15mm from the cat converter.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2009, 08:26PM »
It's normal.

Offline jet

« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2009, 02:58AM »
First of all, thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it.

The heat shield thing sounds pretty good, but I also got a brand new short shifter fitted to my car a few months back, so yeh, that may be the problem.

I might have a look to see if I do have this "heat shield" for my cat converter, but I most likely will be cbf.
But yeah, it sounds pretty troublesome to look into and if it is a "normal" problem/issue among the u12s then that's the way it is. I thought it might have been a major problem.
All cool.

Cheers guys, thanks again.

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2009, 05:15PM »
When they installed the short shifter I'm betting they threw out the heatshield cos it gets in the way when you install it. If you can get you hands on a heatshield just belt the middle with a hammer to make a kind of valley in the middle so the shifter has room and you'll be set.

Offline jet

« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2009, 07:02PM »
Yeah I reckon you're probably right. The idea of going to a wreckers and trying to take off another pintara's heat shield sounds like hard work. But if I'm bored or have spare cash laying around I'll definitely remember to hammer down the middle. Thanks man.