Author Topic: I have Blown 3 head gaskets within 18 months WTF?  (Read 2279 times)

Offline Jay1990corsair

• antrx.com junior member
I have Blown 3 head gaskets within 18 months WTF?
« on: Oct 27, 2009, 05:34PM »
this is a CA20e Corsair, The first time was because of a cooling system problem and it being a really old gasket so it's understandable yeah, i i had the head re-surfaced and rebuilt into a complete new stage, i chucked an Exyfit gasket in and got it all running sweet, about 6 months later under normal driving conditions it blew out right between piston 1 and 2 causing horrible blow-by lol, go that replaced and had the head checked and tested and it was all good got another ezyfit gasket and about 8 months later it blew AGAIN!!! pulled the head off and it was exactly the same as the second time and so i got head checked...no problem again...so what is my problem here? is it just that ACL ezyfit can't make a gasket to save their life?...if so what brands are the best? or do you reckon my block is warped or something? I'm considering sending this car to the eternal scrapheap if its going to do this twice a year :( hahahah
so...my car is pretty dirty...

Offline SleepaTi

• antrx.com junkie
  • KA24DET Guru
Re: I have Blown 3 head gaskets within 18 months WTF?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2009, 06:06PM »
the CA's like to pull the threads out in the block making it not fully clamp down on the head gasket making it blow out real easy

even if the head is 100% it'll still blow out, either throw in another ca or get the block machined
NO! it's NOT a fucking SR20!!

Offline Jay1990corsair

« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2009, 07:54PM »
Do you know how much it would usually cost to get the block machined?

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2009, 07:59AM »
Budget around $50.

Question, before you reassemble the head to the block with the new gasket, how thoroughly do you clean the mating surface on the block and the mating surface on the head?

Do you scrape off every single last bit of your old headgasket off the block and head?

As a rule, I clean both with acetone/thinners and a white rag, until you cannot see anymore dirt on the white rag when you wipe it over the mating surface on the block & head. They really need to be that clean.

Offline Jay1990corsair

« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2009, 12:37PM »
Yeah i Clean it like that aswell, i know how clean it needs to be, and yeah i put the straight edge on the block and yeah it has a slight warp to it

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Nov 3, 2009, 10:51AM »
It won't be a little bit of dirt causing the gasket to give.

Something is out of alignment.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 6, 2009, 09:59PM »
i put the straight edge on the block and yeah it has a slight warp to it

That's your problem.

You need to get the block decked back to a completely flat surface.

Gaskets aren't designed to seal between warped surfaces, they're only designed to fill the little valleys and ridges caused by machining.

To deck the block you need to strip the motor and send the block to a machining shop. It'd probably be cheaper to get a second hand motor with a straight block.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!