Author Topic: thermofan wiring  (Read 1650 times)

Offline nstg8a

• antrx.com full member
thermofan wiring
« on: May 12, 2009, 09:21PM »
right, ive decided to go ahead and wire up the fans so that they can be switched on manually, well, maybe just one of them anyway.

whats the easiest way to wire them up? was thinking just cutting into the loom where the fans plug in, and running an additional power to them, would this cause any issues?

was planning on still having them wired to switch on automatically as well.??

one possible option is to leave one wired up as factory, and have the other manually switched.

is there any issues about having them on for extended periods? like if i forget to turn them off?

oh, and would be wired through an acc power source, not from the battery.

At the moment they do come on, but shut down just 10-15 seconds later, and the temp just slowly rises when stopped at the lights etc

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: thermofan wiring
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 09:25PM »
So they do switch on, of their own accord?

Fix the issue first.  Is the temp sensor stuffed?  Tried sanding it very lightly then re-installing the sensor?  Made sure the plug/loom is good and making a solid connection to the sensor?
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline veece

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 12:14PM »
it is a good idea to have a over ride switch, on a fwd, hooked up to the fans as when doing a burn-out etc they like to over-heat.

its a very easy mod to do and you will be to leave the standard temp control so the fans will still turn on at a centain temp point.

how to do it; have acc power going though a switch to a relay (so you dont burn out the wire) maybe a fuse then connect to the wire between the relay and the fans (keep the standard relay connect to a fans and make a T like part in the wire). EASY

on the factory temp guage on the bluebirds it looks like the cars running hotter than they are.

Offline nstg8a

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 10:53PM »
yep, left it idleing in the driveway, and sure enough the thermos come on like they are supposed to, but as i said, shut down way to early.

was thinking thermostat, but the symptoms dont really match...

will try cleaning up the sensor a bit, but it was replaced not long before i got the car, and if its poo'd itself again then its probably good insurance to have a manual over ride anyway.

also getting the cooling system flushed again, because i still see bits of stopleak every now and then in the radiator.

when i first got the trx the temp gauge sat aboout the 1/3rd mark, since ive done the rad' swap its hovers round the 1/4 mark, until i stop at the lights or get caught in slow traffic, then it slowly creeps up to just above half, sometimes a little higher.
its definitely getting hot though, you can smell that hot coolant smell lol.

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 11:04PM »
i would just replace the thermostat and coolant temp sensor for good measure. mine had your exact symptoms (would take ages to get anywhere near half on temp gauge when driving, but once up it wouldnt go down, and if sitting still it just kept rising, fans always turned off way too early), i replaced thermostat and coolant temp sensor, sits perfect everytime now, fans all fixed etc. Also flush out your radiator, get your rad checked too, maybe replace it. a decent cooling system is essential, trust me i went through the pain of it all.
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline nstg8a

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 02:15PM »
i would just replace the thermostat and coolant temp sensor for good measure. mine had your exact symptoms (would take ages to get anywhere near half on temp gauge when driving, but once up it wouldnt go down, and if sitting still it just kept rising, fans always turned off way too early), i replaced thermostat and coolant temp sensor, sits perfect everytime now, fans all fixed etc. Also flush out your radiator, get your rad checked too, maybe replace it. a decent cooling system is essential, trust me i went through the pain of it all.

radiator has just been replaced with a reconditioned one, i split the fins in the last one on the way to willowbank a while back.

i might do the thermostat and sensor as you suggest, neither is expensive, just wasnt keen on doing the thermostat cos it looks awkward as lol