Author Topic: So, I've decided on a Bluebird U13...  (Read 19649 times)

Offline BuuBox

• antrx.com junior member
So, I've decided on a Bluebird U13...
« on: Jul 21, 2006, 12:12AM »
I've decided it's time to upgrade to a different car, and I think I've decided on a Bluebird U13. So I think I've come to the right forums! romp pointed me this way (from OCAU). The only problem I'm having is actually finding one in reasonable condition. I don't mind if it's slighty rough around the edges (aren't we all?), but it'd be nice to (finally) have a car that's mechanically sound. I'm sick of spending my weekends (and weekday mornings trying to drive to work, this morning on the side of Ferntree Gully road near the Eastlink bit was fun) with my head under the bonnet of my current 91' Falcon and '86 Saab 900.

So I guess this is a quick introduction thread with a bit of a question - where's the best place to find one? I can't seem to access the for sale forum here, so I assume that it's locked out for a while until I get a reasonable amount of posts or time on the fourms.

Ahh! My girlfriend's trying to talk me into a Civic. Looking through the trading post as I type this.

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
  • DUN, DUN, DUUUUUUHHHN!!!!
    • A collection of some of my photography
Re: So, I've decided on a Bluebird U13...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21, 2006, 12:36AM »
u13 bluey is a good car with ka24 engine. i would recommend for many successfulmentness! not sure where you live of course but search the follwing sites:
www.carsales.com.au
www.autotrader.com.au
www.drive.com.au
www.carpoint.com.au

depending on vintage, condition and k's, expect to pay from 5000 upwards.....
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2006, 01:23AM »
The U13s are quite a nice car, and they're getting quite cheap too :)

The for sale forums are hidden until you post up 30 quality posts.
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2006, 01:46AM by Jono »
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
  • 5.7L LS1 oooh yeah baby!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 2006, 01:36AM »
Romp here, welcome to the site mate :)
Don't give up on finding a decent one, I checked out a total of four U13s before I purchased one.
It's a great time to buy them as they are selling for peanuts now. I purchased the base model LX with 179 000km in Feb 05 for $7000 which was a great price at the time!
It's sad to see SSS models going for under $5000...

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=3269954&current_rec=3&used_rec=20&total_rec=32&sort_type=2&total_rec=32&sort_type=2&make_id=5&model_id=8&search_distance=25
93 LX $3500

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=3185660&current_rec=5&used_rec=20&total_rec=32&sort_type=2&total_rec=32&sort_type=2&make_id=5&model_id=8&search_distance=25
95 LX Series 2 $4900

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2960089&current_rec=7&used_rec=20&total_rec=32&sort_type=2&total_rec=32&sort_type=2&make_id=5&model_id=8&search_distance=25
95 LX Series 2 $4999

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2580587&current_rec=9&used_rec=20&total_rec=32&sort_type=2&total_rec=32&sort_type=2&make_id=5&model_id=8&search_distance=25
93 SSS $5000

Tonnes more selling cheap here
http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_results?make_id=5&model_id=8&search_distance=25&search_postcode=&sort_type=2

timstar just sold his 93 Bluebird for a shocking $2300  :o
Send Bluebird SSS a PM, he is selling his U13 SSS for $4500.

for sale: 1994 Bluebird SSS

asking price: $4,500

kilometers: 233,000

transmission type: manual

engine: ka24de

modifications: JVC head deck with 3" screen, pioneer splits, sony 6x9s, muffler and 12" sub and amp not to sure of the brands they are nothing special but just come with the car

road worthy certificate: upon request

registered: yes - until august 06 not too sure of the day will check and let you know if required

accident history: small crack in rear bar nothing major though

other comments about the vehicle: car will come with all stock parts although the stock 6x9s are damaged

and i am located in ACT feel free to call me 0433973643 or email: [email protected]

Jeremy

mark_SSS is selling his SSS for $4990.

FOR SALE:
december 1993 U13 SSS bluebird, burgundy air con, power steering, cruise control, 5sp manual, 6months rego, 17inch wheels, $2400 worth of sound gear, Hi-Tech headers and hi-flo cat, 2.25inch piping, new shocks in the rear, low king springs, brand new brake pads, safety certificate. plenty of power, drives beautifully, must sell at $4990 or nearest offer. car located in brisbane

mobile: 0407 161 520
email: [email protected]

And then Wolf In Sheep's Clothing was selling his LX but I can't find the thread...
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2006, 01:45AM by Alister »

Offline BuuBox

« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2006, 11:06AM »
I'm going to have a look at a few today. I'm going to do my best to find a SSS model with around 150,000kms and it's gotta be a 5 speed :) Going to stick with Melbourne cars for now, don't really want to have to travel to pick one up.

Offline Wolf In Sheep’s Clothing

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2006, 12:29PM »
Yer I sold my good old LX, Buyer was very happy with it. There a good car. You should be able to pick one up around the $5000 mark. Mine was sold for $4000 because I needed it gone. IMO the price is very cheep for a car with what the U13 has. There under rated because of the shape id say.

The 2.4 is a great engine with great torque. I now have the 2.0ltr turbo awd version. I can say after owning the 2.4 previously and now the 2.0 ltr I'm totally in love with bluebirds because there a very good car.

Common things that go wrong is distributer (roughly $300 to fix) goes bad when rocker cover gasket leaks oil into it, if gasket is changed shouldn't be a problem. Only other problem I had with my old bluebird was fuel pump and radiator top. All relatively cheap fixes.

Also If you get one theres plenty of people here you can ask about anything related.
Written off HNU13 Atttesa, PM me for part requests.

Offline BuuBox

« Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 2006, 01:26PM »
I went and had a look at a black SSS this morning. Was a very nice car actually, nice and clean, only 2 small dents on the body, drove nicely too. Only thing that's stopping me is that the timing chain seemed slightly noisy, and the gearbox was sorta noisy in 1st and 2nd gear. Are these thigns to be worried about?

Was from a car yard, best I could haggle him down to was 6k with 12 months reg and a 3 year warrenty. Was fairly happy with that. Car also came with a Clarion double din cd/mp3/tape headunit and 17" rims (aren't too bad).

I would have signed on the dotted line if it wasn't for the timing chain noise. Not loud, but defiantly there. 199,000kms on it.

Edit: Oh, it's this car... http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/NISSAN/BLUEBIRD/Victoria/1120473.aspx

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #7 on: Jul 21, 2006, 02:15PM »
Timing chain is the guide that goes also a common problem. Apparently it can be removed altogether or replaced. I beleve its the top guide. Mine rattled for the whole 3 years I had the car and never caused a problem.

Gearbox whine is quiet common, but you usualy only hear it in 1st gear not 1st and 2nd. My LX started to make a whine about 2 years into owning it but it was only in 1st gear and hardly noticable.

My attesa whines in 1st a bit louder but I'm not to concerned as I will have to eventually replace the gears with stronger gears.

How many Km's does it have?

Offline phreeky

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #8 on: Jul 21, 2006, 02:48PM »
My attesa whines in 1st a bit louder but I'm not to concerned as I will have to eventually replace the gears with stronger gears.

My stock box did as well, never broke first though and still looks perfect (got the old gears still), it's a more shallow helical cut so I imagine is the cause of a slight whine from new.

BuuBox: $6k sounds ok from a dealer, tbh 199,000km is a bit higher than you should be aiming for but might be the best you'll find. I wouldn't expect much from the dealer warranty if something goes wrong, but either way get an inspection done by a third party.

As for the timing chain I think it's pretty common, I was under the impression it was only a real big issue on the KA24E not KA24DE.

Offline BuuBox

« Reply #9 on: Jul 21, 2006, 03:06PM »
Just below 200k on the clock. I'm not afraid of high mileage cars, owned a 300,000+ falcon and I'm currently driving a 300,000km Saab 900 (scary thought). It seems to have been fairly well maintained, and certinatly went fairly well for what it is. Didn't have any problem's pulling from relatively low revs, didn't mind reving out to the redline either. It's due for a service, but the oil level was just about spot on, so doesn't look like it's using oil etc. No oil leaks, and the engine bay is nice and dry (ie, no oil around the place). The gearbox felt good despite the noise.

The noises aren't really loud, just I'm paranoid as I don't want to be spending more money on this car later down the track.

Think I'll go for it, might organise something tomorrow. I'll be on here complaining in the technical forums if something does go wrong! :) haha

Offline phreeky

« Reply #10 on: Jul 21, 2006, 04:00PM »
if you get it, grab some whiteline springs

it's how the car should have handled stock imo, much much better but still not a harsh ride at all (i.e. easily passable as a factory setup)

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #11 on: Jul 21, 2006, 04:12PM »
i saw that one a while ago when i started searching for cars online. i reckon thats about as cheap as you will find a 5 speed sss...... if its mech. ok then i would say go for it.
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

Offline wicked

• U13
« Reply #12 on: Jul 21, 2006, 05:35PM »
Do make sure that the car idles properly. If it is a problem associated with distributor, a new Nissan one will set you back 1 grand. Other than that U13 is a good bang for buck car, no complains  ;D

Offline Leopard-Man

• antrx.com junkie
  • vg20det ftw
« Reply #13 on: Jul 21, 2006, 05:48PM »
Hi mate.  U13s are fantastic cars and if i remember correctly there are a few for sale on here which you will be able to see later (when u get enough posts).  One problem ive found with them is that the are worth crap all if you ever decide to sell it, but other than that, they are very good cars. 

And yeah Kms arnt an overly big problem with this engine either as mine has 240K and is still going really well and i have had no real problems with it mechanically. 

ALEX
I am a man More sinn'd against than sinning.

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #14 on: Jul 21, 2006, 05:48PM »
You can get a reco distrubuter for $300 with trade in of your old one.

Offline BuuBox

« Reply #15 on: Jul 21, 2006, 06:49PM »
Didn't seem to have any idle issues, and I checked with the A/C on too. Looks like the car's mine, didn't see any others that were better at around the same price. Rims aren't too bad either... Hrm. Only money... :)

Offline greenbird

« Reply #16 on: Jul 22, 2006, 03:02AM »
Like most of the guys have already said, the bluebirds are a great car. I've had mine for 6 years now and i still love it.
As 'Wolf in Sheeps Clothing' has said, don't be worried about the whine in first gear. All of the manual boxes do it, as 1st gear is closer to a 'straight cut' gear to make them stronger. Second gear should be relatively quiet, so it may be worth getting a mechanic or a knowlegable friend that you trust to look at the car before you lay down any cash.
The black SSS that you are talking about, is it a series 1 or 2?
If it is a Series 1, the cam chain rattle can be fixed by removing the upper cam chain guide from under the rocker cover and removing the front cam chain guide from under the timing case. It's a relatively easy job if you have the right tools and are reasonbly mechanically minded. It took me about an hour and a half to do on my car. My car used to rattle a little bit between idle and 1200rpm, but now she is as quiet as a mouse, even with 230000kms on the clock!
I believe that the series 2's never suffered this rattle, as Nissan chose not to install these cam chain guides for the later models??
Besides this and the famous oil in the distributor problem (which really isn't all that common), they are an extremely reliable car.
Dan.
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs

Offline BuuBox

« Reply #17 on: Jul 22, 2006, 09:40AM »
Yeah, it's a Series 1. So it's a relatively easy fix? Sounds good... :) The gear whine in 2nd isn't anything loud, just me being paraniod and looking for noises. Sounds the same as basically every other (smallish) manual car I've driven.

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #18 on: Jul 22, 2006, 04:37PM »
im jealous and you havent even bought it yet. you skank! 8)

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
« Reply #19 on: Jul 22, 2006, 04:37PM »
Yea,  i wouldnt worry about the whinning, mine does the same thing, but havent had a problem with it, and car is still going strong at 220k's. But like someone on here has said, first thing i would do is get some king springs and a whiteline handling kit. Unfortunately whiteline dont sell any spring/shock combo for the U13's. But if you have spare money and want a really good handling car i would go for the D2 coilovers, but they will set you back about $1800.

If you search on here quiet a few members have done some sort of work to their U13's especially me. Mine has completely been changed from what it used to look like when i first bought it.

If you look after the car, the car will keep going for a long long time.

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #20 on: Jul 22, 2006, 07:01PM »
You can get a reco distrubuter for $300 with trade in of your old one.

Or $425 brand new.

Offline tedman

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
« Reply #21 on: Jul 22, 2006, 10:39PM »
My '95 SSS is for sale - Please xcuse me if it is not appropriate to post an "add" in this thread however i don't have access to the for sales yet and this way everyone gets to tell me I'm dreaming when i tell you the price. 200000ks 5spd man KA24DE with extractors, airfilter and exhaust - about 135hp ATW. King Springs make it a bit lower and nicer to drive. All the standard stereo with upgraded 6x9's in the back. Has the same timing chain noise youve been talking about - however only when cold. I had the whole timing system re-done at 120000 including guide repositioning to get rid of the noise once the engine warms up.
Anyhoo I'm asking $9900 ono. Rego till Mar 07 and new tyres. My first car very regretful sale however I want to go turbo so am looking at the attessa or (please don't hit me) a soarer/chaser.

Let the firing begin...

Tedman out

PS I'm in Townsville however am looking at heading down south in the next month so could bring it down if you are keen.

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #22 on: Jul 23, 2006, 03:50AM »
Let the firing begin...

"tell him he's dreaming".

/end The Castle

Offline tedman

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
« Reply #23 on: Jul 23, 2006, 10:23AM »
Like I said - make an offer. Perhaps everyone could make a suggestion as to what i should be trying to sell it for - - - Comes with all the extras (Car Bra, bonnet/light protectors), Have receipts for all work done up to 150000ks with dyno graphs etc. Will throw in original brochures for the car!!! (according to posts on these forums worth $10.50 plus postage) Has aftermarket immobiliser/remote central locking. Obvioulsy I love this car too much so some objective opinions on what it is worth would be nice.

PS Don't say "It's worth what someone will pay you for it."

Offline greenbird

« Reply #24 on: Jul 23, 2006, 11:25AM »
Tedman,
IF your car is in immaculate condition, in my opinion, somewhere between 7 and 8 thoushand would probably be realistic. The used car market has taken a huge nose dive in the last couple of years.
About 12 months ago, my brother paid just over 5 grand for his 95 model SSS. Mind you, that car needed some a fair bit of TLC. I've decided that it's not worth selling my 93 model LX. Even though it is in really good condition, has lots of extras and is super reliable, the money that I could get for it just isn't worth it. I think i'm going to just drive it until it will go no further.
Just remember that any mods that have been done to the car (exhaust etc.) are worth diddly squat come sale time. People will pay for the car as if it was stock standard.
Dan.
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
17X7 Concept 5 wheels

Offline phreeky

« Reply #25 on: Jul 23, 2006, 11:27PM »
PS I'm in Townsville however am looking at heading down south in the next month so could bring it down if you are keen.

another townsville person, wow, i thought i was the only (unfortunate) one :D

got a pic of your car? i've seen a few u13s getting around with rims and/or exhaust etc so was surprised i hadn't seen other townsville folk on here

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #26 on: Jul 29, 2006, 04:07AM »
Last time I was in Townsville there were heaps of U12s cruising around, half of them with rims.

I'm surprised there aren't more of you guys on antrx.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline phreeky

« Reply #27 on: Jul 30, 2006, 01:31AM »
i've had five mates up here with a pintara trx, none of them own them anymore though (funny enough they now all own either an r32, s15, gtir, or z32)

see all those cars getting around still, guess they're just not either enthusiasts or the internet type

Offline BuuBox

« Reply #28 on: Aug 5, 2006, 05:39PM »
Picked up my SSS yesterday. Very happy with it! I'll throw some pictures up when I find the cable for my camera. Got a few plans for it, but first it needs a gearbox service with some decent gear oil (suggestions?), and the timing chain noise (only at idle) makes it sound like a Astron equipped Magna... :(

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #29 on: Aug 5, 2006, 06:11PM »
Excellent, did you go auto or manual?
Any ATF 3 fluid is fine. Yeah, they can sound like death on startup but it goes away pretty quick.

Offline BuuBox

« Reply #30 on: Aug 6, 2006, 01:52AM »
It's a manual. Not too sure what oil to use to quieten it down - probably hasn't ever been changed.

I'll have to look into the timing chain, quite noisy, but only at idle. Doesn't go away though, unless the car isn't idling!

Offline mortz

• GT-TL > SSS > Ghia
« Reply #31 on: Aug 6, 2006, 03:16AM »
Aaah, the very friendly Series 1 rattle.....  Easily fixed if you don't mind having your hands stuck in a tight place ;D
I'll PM you some info on where to find both the offending guides.
Was: 2.4i 12 Valve   Now: 2.4 DOHC 16 Valve   Next: 2.4 Quad Cam?? 32-Valve??
Nope -- 2.5 TT :D (1JZ-GTE)

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #32 on: Aug 6, 2006, 05:40PM »
It's a manual. Not too sure what oil to use to quieten it down - probably hasn't ever been changed.

I'll have to look into the timing chain, quite noisy, but only at idle. Doesn't go away though, unless the car isn't idling!

That's fine, I wouldn't be worried at all.
As long as it goes away once you start driving (when the engine is fully warmed up).
Even after you remove the guides, it will still rattle a bit. The KA24DE is a great engine but it isn't a sample of brilliant refinement.

Offline BuuBox

« Reply #33 on: Aug 6, 2006, 09:38PM »
Does the rattle cause any issues other than the annoying noise when the car is idling? It does it whether it's warmed up or not - but only noticable at idle. I'll see what I can do about the top guide, but I think the bottom guide is beyond me. I'm paranoid the chain's going to snap! Want to do a gearbox service before anything else... And change the rocker cover gasket so the distributor doesn't give up.

Thanks mortz for the PM, much apreciated! Makes it easy to see where the issue is coming from.

Just thought I'd add, I'm really liking the U13. Very nice car...

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #34 on: Aug 6, 2006, 10:23PM »
Glad you like it mate, they are really something.

I didn't remove my guides, the way I see it was that Nissan put it there for an engineering purpose (even though it was removed in Series 2). The rattling on start up didn't bother me at all and it only really happened on cold starts.

Offline BuuBox

« Reply #35 on: Aug 8, 2006, 01:36AM »
Here's some pictures I took. Crappy camera and it looks ordinary, but hey... :P It's going for a cut 'n' polish on Thursday, so that'll be nice. I've just got one more question... How big is the petrol tank? I thought it was 60L, but the fuel light came on so I filled up - only ~42L went in.

« Last Edit: Aug 8, 2006, 07:39PM by BuuBox »

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #36 on: Aug 8, 2006, 01:38AM »
Looks nice mate *thumbsup* :)

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #37 on: Aug 8, 2006, 04:50AM »
60L tank in all AUS U13s.
The fuel light normally first comes on when there's at least 15L left. I used to run mine for about 100KM after the flight light first came on and then fill up and I always only managed between 48-55L.
Looks very nice by the way....

Also what happened to the foggies?

Offline BuuBox

« Reply #38 on: Aug 8, 2006, 09:40AM »
One's in the boot - don't know what happened to the other one...  ::)

Doesn't really bother me, but I'll be on the lookout for one. I've got the left I think.

Offline wicked

• U13
« Reply #39 on: Aug 8, 2006, 11:38AM »
Nice looking car, could look even better with a slight drop in the suspension.  ;D

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #40 on: Aug 8, 2006, 12:10PM »
you prick! it looks great 8) much better than in the pictures on the carsales website

Offline BuuBox

« Reply #41 on: Aug 8, 2006, 06:13PM »
I really want to drop it a bit, but as you can see from my driveway I'm not too sure how much I'll be able to without leaving half the car behind every morning... live in the Dandenongs, so there's heaps of pot holes etc.

I'll work out how much clearance I've got and decide what to do!

Anyone got a spare left fog light? haah

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #42 on: Aug 8, 2006, 06:16PM »
just outta interest mate, what did you end up paying? all up?

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
« Reply #43 on: Aug 8, 2006, 06:55PM »
I really want to drop it a bit, but as you can see from my driveway I'm not too sure how much I'll be able to without leaving half the car behind every morning... live in the Dandenongs, so there's heaps of pot holes etc.

I'll work out how much clearance I've got and decide what to do!

Anyone got a spare left fog light? haah

Those rims look to be 16inch wheels, i think you should be ok by just using Low King Springs, mind you, you can go lower with Kingys as they dont make anything lower then Low Springs for the U13

Offline BuuBox

« Reply #44 on: Aug 8, 2006, 07:38PM »
They're 17" rims, the ride height make 'em look quite small. I think king lows might be ok (had a XF Fairmont with equivelent of king lows and that was ok), but the Saab 900 in the background of the first photo can't get up the driveway without hitting a few things on the way up.

Paid just a hint over 6k all up. Happy enough with that (the dude wouldn't budge from 6k). Came with a 3 year warrenty (not that it means much), 12 months rego, and a RWC obviously.

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #45 on: Aug 8, 2006, 08:14PM »
nice, sounds like a good deal. of course the warranty is useless ::) if i had just a bit more cash i would go for something like that, but time is my enemy unfortunately :(

Offline greenbird

« Reply #46 on: Aug 9, 2006, 08:41AM »
nice, sounds like a good deal. of course the warranty is useless ::) if i had just a bit more cash i would go for something like that, but time is my enemy unfortunately :(

Why do you say these warranty's are useless?
I believe they are great. They will only cover the hard mechanical failure, not consumables, but they are still worth it.
For example: My g/f's toyota surf.... Between the 3 month dealer warranty and the 3 year extended warranty (which cost us $600) the car has had: The head off, replaced head gasket, crack tested and machined head, new timing belt, reconditioned radiator, new thermostat, new injectors, new glowplugs, engine out to crack test the crankshaft and replace all of the big end bearings, new clutch and a new cam belt idler pulley bolt (it snapped).
Total cost to us: Just over $1000.
So, do you now think that these warranties are useless?
It saved us thousands and thousands of dollars..... Sure, it wont cover the little things, but if something major goes wrong, it's fantastic!
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
17X7 Concept 5 wheels

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #47 on: Aug 12, 2006, 09:09PM »
no i think he means that a lot of the caompanies that provide these warranties to many yeards are a bit dodgy. they skimp on parts or they just dont do a good job in the first place, or they refuse to cover certain things under the warranty that they should.

anyway, buubox, how slack are car yard guys! your car is still advertised for sale on carpoint! ::)

Offline BuuBox

« Reply #48 on: Aug 14, 2006, 12:19PM »
I just removed the top chain guide, and it definatly made an improvement. Could see the wear marks from where it was rubbing. It's still sorta noisy, so probably the bottom guide. I don't really have the tools to do this one, so is it alright to leave it with just the top guide removed, and get rid of the bottom one later on? I'll get a mate to help.Bloody lost one of the rocker cover nuts this morning too...

What happened to imaspy's thread?

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #49 on: Aug 14, 2006, 02:08PM »
i deleted it as i didnt need the advice anymore. im not getting the car. i was worried about the k's and the price - it was the absolute roof of what i can afford, and after insurance and possible other probs, it woulda left me with bugger all cash, and i have no job right now. sigh.

Offline BuuBox

« Reply #50 on: Aug 16, 2006, 03:20PM »
Hrm... some bad news.

Looks like the diff has some issues, and that's what has been causing the gearbox noise. Took it to a trans place this afternoon for an oil change, but the oil was relatively fresh, so they just put some stuff in it to shut it up (with a bit of luck). It's got a leak from the drive shaft seal too, but that's the least of my worries.

I'll see what the warrenty is going to cover with this, got my fingers crossed. Otherwise, I'm pretty stuffed. :(

Spose it's my fault, should have got it checked over a little more closely. Thought I'd done enough (took it to a mechanic).

Edit: Does anyone know where I could pick up another transmission relatively cheaply? I think I could change it myself (with a few friends). The dudes today said that I wouldn't get much change from $1500, so might be a cheaper option. Or drive it until it blows up.
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2006, 03:23PM by BuuBox »

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #51 on: Aug 16, 2006, 04:14PM »
Ill give you some prices from my experience.

My old LX bluebird had an engine problem when I bought it, to have the engine replaced with a 2nd hand engine from a wreck cost me $1700 including labour. I believe it was $700 for the engine and $1000 for labour, labour wise it should be the same as a gearbox as its easier to drop the engine out to get the gearbox out.

My Attesa 4wd bluebird (bless its soul) cost me $1100 for gearbox and is going to cost me $1600 labour (including a $400 clutch). So there you have it.

So it will cost you around $1000 for labour and gearbox should vary id say a few hundred for a FWD box as the FWD box should be relatively easy to find unlike the 4wd box.

$1500 is a good estimate I think.

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #52 on: Aug 17, 2006, 02:52AM »
Ahh tough break man...
The thing with U13 parts is that prices vary so bloody much. Since they are rare (ish), some wreckers will charge through the roof for parts whilst others will give you pretty much give it away to you since parts are hard to shift (go Sandgate Wreckers! Looms, HUD gauge cluster, HUD display unit for $300!).
Check out partslocator.com.au or even getting a box freighted from Sandgate Wreckers (QLD) may work out for a reasonable price. Depends who you speak to there though. They had three U13s awhile ago.
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2006, 02:54AM by Alister »

Offline BuuBox

« Reply #53 on: Aug 23, 2006, 01:05AM »
Hrm, wishing I didn't buy this car... but anyway. Live and learn.

Is removing the lower timing chain guide much of an issue? I've set aside a Saturday morning with a mechanic mate, so I'll see what I can achieve. I hope it's as simple as moving the alternator out of the way, removing the cover, and off it comes. We'll see! That'll shut up one noise.

Ultratune has their second attempt of stoping the driveshaft seal leak tomorrow morning, bit worried that there's something chewing out the seals? Hope not. Can't believe how fast the gearbox oil is running out - parked the car on the gutter, thought it had rained, but that was just gear oil :S

AHHHH!

On a more positive note, changed the oil. Put in 15/50 Shell, see how that goes. Better than whatever was in it - at the least, I'll use it to flush the system. Might be a bit thick. Seems to be less sluggish though, after the oil change.

Offline greenbird

« Reply #54 on: Aug 23, 2006, 08:31AM »
I've removed the lower chain guide on my car. It's pretty simple to get in there, just fiddly and time consuming. You have to remove the alternator and all of the brackets from that part of the motor. Then remove the right hand engine mount (you may need to support that side of the motor with a jack from underneath).
There's a bracket that the engine mount bolts to, which is then bolted to the engine. I could remove all but one bolt from it, and the bracket was in the way of one of the timing cover bolts that I needed to get to. In the end, i used a large screwdriver to pivot the bracket away from the block and timing cover, using the bolt that was still in there as the hinge. (hope you understand what i mean......).
removing the timing cover was easy from there on in. Just make sure you don't drop any bolts down where the timing chain goes. That would be bad. Perhaps plug the hole with a rag whilst you are working in there?
You will need to buy some Loctite 518 to seal up the timing cover as you put it back on. There's no gasket in there to seal it up, so you need to use the 518.
Here is a pic. I've circled the chain guide that you are looking for and the bracket that i had to pry away to get to the lower timing cover bolt.

Hope this helps.
Dan.
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
17X7 Concept 5 wheels

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #55 on: Aug 23, 2006, 11:24AM »
The KA24DE runs beautifully with 5w-xx oil in it :)
The engine just loves thinner oil.

If UltraTune aren't getting the job done, take it somewhere else.

Offline BuuBox

« Reply #56 on: Aug 23, 2006, 12:10PM »
Thanks for the information, looks easy enough - just fiddly and time consuming (like everything on cars). I'll see how I go... :)

I'll try some thinner oil in it next time - engine has 200,000kms on it though.

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #57 on: Aug 23, 2006, 11:11PM »
No worries mate.
I used 5W-30 in it for over 15 000km and it loved it. Got rid of it with about 201000km on the clock.
My own research had told me that the KA24DE ran well on thin oil and when I took it to my mechanic he said the same thing.

Offline SAIUN

• antrx.com junkie
  • ~(> ^_^)>
« Reply #58 on: Aug 24, 2006, 12:07AM »
Sorry to hijack, but on the topic of oil, anyone know any numbers that run well in the KA24E, or is it pretty similar to the KA24DE? I know which ones I can put in there, but hoping for a few pearls of wisdom...
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2006, 12:10AM by SAIUN »
Current mods:
ANTRX.com KA24E Stage 2 ECU chip (5kW)
ANTRX.com sticker (30kW) ;D

... that's about all.

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #59 on: Aug 24, 2006, 12:15AM »
magical search button *cha ching*

http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php?topic=8397.0
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline BuuBox

« Reply #60 on: Aug 29, 2006, 12:03PM »
Took the timing chain guide off a few days ago. Very easy job, just time consuming. Took about 2 hours all up.
Very nice to hear no rattle anymore, but there's still a slight noise? Might change the top chain afterall (one day).
Water pump bearings on the pulley seem to be a little noisy, so I'd better add that to the list too. My new exhaust is running away...

I've gotten over the knackered gearbox, and it's getting fixed relatively soon. Yay.

Offline greenbird

« Reply #61 on: Aug 29, 2006, 07:42PM »
Good work.
Glad to hear it all went well and the rattle has pretty much stopped.
Did you use the 518 as I suggested to seal up the timing cover? Silicon probably would be okay to do the job, but i have found that silicon will almost always break down and let a small amount of oil seep through after a few months of use.
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
17X7 Concept 5 wheels

Offline BuuBox

« Reply #62 on: Aug 30, 2006, 01:19AM »
Yeah, used the 518 stuff based on your post! I'll come back and complain if it's leaking ;) Haven't even checked, whoops.

Installed some Kenwood 6x9's in the car today, bit of an improvement over the old ones! Tell you what though, back/neck are still recovering - really a two man job with having to take the seats out, or maybe I'm soft. Worked out in the end. Should have seen someone's wiring attempt to - that took a while to comprehend. Some people are creative... :)

What are the factory amps rated at? I ignored them, running strait off my Clarion head unit instead. Sub + real amp in the picture at some stage, if it stops costing me money elsewhere!

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #63 on: Aug 30, 2006, 08:03PM »
Most factory amps aren't as powerful as modern head units.

That Loctite 518 is good stuff too, my dad used it on auto gearboxes for years.

Oh and changing speakers is a one-man job... you're soft :P
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline BuuBox

« Reply #64 on: Aug 31, 2006, 08:49PM »
Ha! Yeah, probably soft... was fine when I was doing it, but damn neck was killing me when I was trying to sleep :) The stock 6x9's were funny, not much of 'em left at all. Have to pull off the door trims and do the front ones - anyone got a guide or something for that? Hoping some Jaycar 6.5" splits will fit.

The Kenwood 6x9's are a little cheap and cheerful I think (80~ JB specials) so I'll look into that too. Ratted 'em off my wrecked EB Fairmont, took 5 minutes to deinstall 'em (silly nissans). Speaking of which, anyone want a EB Fairmont in wonderful (hrm) condition, just had a dint and needs a VIV? taking up too much space in the garage.

Just realised I still haven't checked for engine leaks since the timing chain fix, so I might go check that... whoops! Can't be that bad.
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2006, 08:52PM by BuuBox »

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
« Reply #65 on: Aug 31, 2006, 10:06PM »
Yea you should be able to fit 6.5" in the doors (think thats what i got). Might even be able to fit them without custom making molds (which i did, but then again im a picky bum).

Yea the rear seat can be a bit of a bitch, especially the back rest part of it.

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #66 on: Aug 31, 2006, 10:09PM »
you can fit 6.5's in the front door by cutting a bit of plastic off the speaker mount behind the doorskins, Although its alot better to make some new speaker mounts out of some MDF.