Author Topic: starts but wont run  (Read 2756 times)

alhortz

starts but wont run
« on: Jan 12, 2004, 09:19PM »
88 pintara auto wagon, ca20e, just put a reco'ed head on after a crack in the top radiator tank caused a warp in the original head, now the old girl will fire up, run for about 2 seconds and die. Cant get any sign of firing if I open the trottle body.
After removing the old head, all pots were wet, and there was heaps of water in the oil.
As its the wifes car I dont drive it often (usually only on Sundays so she can drive home after I have a few brews with dad) but the fuel pump seems louder till it builds up pressure now. It's been 3 weeks since the original problem, and it was used virtually daily up till then, so that could be the reason for that?
As to it not running, have a few ideas, but thought I'd run them past the experts first...
1. Leaking around inlet manifold, letting too much air in and running lean
2. Clogged/rusty injectors - if the water got back thru the inlet valve, and sitting idle for 3 weeks, they could be clogged and not delivering enuff fuel (when throttle body is open?)
3. Fuel pump failing - it does build up pressure prior to starting, shuts off, but may no longer be up to providing enough pressure for running.
hopefully someone here has come across this, she's getting toey to get back on the road, only has an automatic lisence and its our only auto car
TIA

Offline NZ_Pintara_TRX

• antrx.com junior member
Re: starts but wont run
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2004, 09:45PM »
I think i may have had the same thing happen 2 my ca20e and i found all it was, was a small earth wire between the gearbox and the body (not the main one that goes to the head). i fixed it and she stared first pop
What does the K in K-mart stand for?

alhortz

Re: starts but wont run
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2004, 07:52PM »
Red Faced reply here...
Thanx for the response NZ, turned out my stupidity was the problem.
due to the stripped down state, I got impatient and tried to run it before putting the air intake tube back on. obviously (now) it coudn't determine the airflow through the intake, so didn't want to run.
all is fine now, soz to trouble you, but will keep an eye on forums, tis a great place ;)