Author Topic: Paint advice & Fan Vibration  (Read 3110 times)

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com senior member
  • Pinny Panthers
Paint advice & Fan Vibration
« on: Aug 31, 2003, 07:54PM »
Every time i put my fan up to 4 or 3 i get a loud vibration like noise, it's extreamly annoying. Any one know what culd be causing this ?

Secondly ive got a few areas that need respraying, some are quite large,well large enough to notice. The problem is that the paint ive used while the right colour is a "little" lighter... or looks that way at least, even though ive cut the hole car back in preperation. So do you think id get away with it or would it look like crap ? will it dry darker ? etc. personal experance with touch ups would really help :)
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2003, 07:55PM by Cle »

Offline Joczy

• antrx.com junkie
  • feed me guiness
Re:Paint advice & Fan Vibration
« Reply #1 on: Sep 1, 2003, 07:22PM »
when repspraying areas in need of a respray, do the car in sections, sure its an arse of a thing to do, but it will make the whole job look alrite.

doing small patch work on a car thats getting a bit old will never look right as most paints match the colour of the factory, but since time has aged the paint and it will not be the same anymore. so if theres a patch (large due to fading) on the roof, id suggest cut back the whole roof and all 4 pillars (front and rear)mask up down to the bottom of the window and respray that section..

u dont need to cut back to bare metal only primer, and spray putty comes on handy too to smooth out undulations. the more time u spend on the body of the car the better it will turn out. currently my car is basically in primer after being cut back and all straightend, hehe it looks like shit (more like a grey battle ship) but it will get resprayed in a week or so at work.

quick guidline (pretty rough) for respray -no dents on panel

1. cut back paint to primer with random orbital sander using 100 grit sheet

2. prepwash area cut back and hand sand any minor undualtions in paint work down to primer

3. spray area with super etch primer (2-3 coats) and lightly sand with 300grit paper, prepwash

4. spray area with primer surfacer (2-3 coats) and lightly sand with 300 grit paper (very lightly) then should bring up the high and low spots of paintwork, prepwash

5. low spots can be gone with spray putty and lightly sanding area, use a low brightness lamp shining over the paint work to find imperfections

6. apply another 1-2 coats of primer surfacer and lightly sand again. pref 600 grit paper

7. guide coat. this is very important to find out how straight the panel is. this should only be applied as a mist (very very fine) and let to dry. sand back area with 600 grit paper (lightly) pref matt black

8. car is ready for top coat and its up to the user of the desired finish, get hand of spray gun preferably! and paint mixed up to suit.

9. cut back with light cutting compound about 4 days after top coat applied.

then polish up.

always use compatible primers with acrylic, and compatible primers with enamel.

heeh i hold no responsibility for this info. this is just a basic outline and its up to you how much work u want to do.

"It's darkest before dawn so if u want to steel ur neighbours newspaper thens the time to do it"

Offline gach2

• antrx.com full member
Re: Paint advice & Fan Vibration
« Reply #2 on: Jul 1, 2006, 01:50PM »
i was wondering if there were any guides to diy respraying cars and if there were any if someone could post the links.

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #3 on: Jul 1, 2006, 04:20PM »
The rattling when you put your fan on will most likely be something in the blower motor, basically you need to pull it out and clean it, put it back in and it'll be good as new.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 1, 2006, 09:56PM »
You can see the blower motor in the passenger footwell, look up behind the glovebox and it's the gold cylinder with the black cap on the bottom of it.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!