Author Topic: Gti-r turbo on a bluebird Atessa  (Read 63174 times)

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
Gti-r turbo on a bluebird Atessa
« on: Oct 24, 2009, 05:34PM »
hey guys and girls,
just wondering if it would be hard( aka expensive) to fit a turbo off a pulsar gti-r. looking for close to 200kws at the wheels.
what other mods would be needed?
also how much would i be look to pay for a gti-r turbo and having it fitted?
thanks,
Michael
Mods so far: 3" exhaust off the turbo, Fmic, HKS ssqv, D2 Fully adjustable coilovers, turbotech manual boost controller. running 12-13 psi

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
Re: Gti-r turbo on a bluebird Atessa
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2009, 08:27PM »
The block webbing apparently needs to be ground back to clear the exhaust housing, and I think the dump pipe needs to be modified too.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2009, 08:36AM »
Jono, spot on mate.

You should get close to 200awkw with a gtir SIZED turbo... but not necessarily one off a GTi-R
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline lgee

• post whore
  • Attesa Racer
    • WheelTech Racing
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2009, 01:17PM »
Having done this conversion, these are the problems, if you use a gtir manifold it flows better by its design, it is more centralised where the pipe comes out into the turbo so no grinding of the block, if you do it this way, your oil return line does not line up any more so a mod is needed, also you water cooling and oil feed from the block dont line up any more either i suggest a full set of braided from Midnight Mods on NS.com, your intake pipe is different as well, the O2 sensor may foul your airconditioning pipe if you have ac, the dump pipe you just use your current t25 it is the same but with the manifold sitting 1.5 inches more towards the front of the engine or no1 cylinder your exhaust may need a bit of adjustment as well. thats about it but yeah big gains to be had, the t28 from the gtir has a .86 rear housing as compared to the t25which has a .64 means you get more lag but will have more in the top end of the rev range, but wont cut in till 3600 rpm. i hope this helps, dont forget you will need to remap and s15 injectors.

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2009, 02:39PM »
I have a s15 t28 on mine and it went on with little drama. I did however have to grind a bit of the block to get it too fit on. Alot of the pulsar guys use a spacer between the head and manifold to more the turbo closer to the radiator - however you'll also need to re-work your plumbing if you do this. As lgee mentioned get a set of braided lines, makes life 10 times easier.

Finally I'd consider a gt2871r or maybe the smaller gt2860rs (disco potato) to help you reach 200awkw, also be sure to get a set of cams! Altough I dare say it would be possible with the gti-r t28 you'd be pushing to very close to it's limits.
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
« Reply #5 on: Nov 2, 2009, 11:12AM »
i think im about to win the bidding on a gti-r manifold:)
anyone in victoria want to do all the work for me?
haha i will pay in peanuts and beer:P:P
i dont actualy have the bluebird yet,
hopefully in 2 weeks:)
Mods so far: 3" exhaust off the turbo, Fmic, HKS ssqv, D2 Fully adjustable coilovers, turbotech manual boost controller. running 12-13 psi

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
« Reply #6 on: Nov 2, 2009, 01:33PM »
i just bought a gti-r manifold off ebay..what do u guys think?
http :// cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280415123077&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1182

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #7 on: Nov 2, 2009, 03:00PM »
good buy! nice price too, normally they go for around $100.
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
« Reply #8 on: Nov 3, 2009, 01:31AM »
yeah i thought it was a good buy..typed it on ebay..had an hour to go. and it was cheap..so thought might aswell bid on it.
lol now i gotta find a gti-r turbo..but im out of cash for awhile:(
start of next year if someone wants to sell me a gti-r turbo for cheap..feel free;)
also some bigger injectors for cheap would be nice also;)
how much will i be looking at to the manifold and turbo put it in?
also where is a good place to take in melbourne? (frankston sort of area if possible)

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • sth. oz local moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 3, 2009, 07:09AM »
You should do it yourself mate, it's not as hard as you think and you will learn a lot from it. Also, now you've got the manifold, you don't need to get a GTiR turbo, go for something a bit better, like a GT2871R. Good sized turbo for a 2L. I have one on my attesa and it goes great.
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
« Reply #10 on: Nov 3, 2009, 10:15AM »
yeah i might..gti-r turbo is just cheaper:P
and im a total noob..lol if i can find someone that has an idea of what they are doing to lend a hand i will give it a go:D

how much power could i be making with an GT2871R ? if i can find a good one for cheapish i wil probably end up doing that:D
i keep hearing about how the gearbox's are weak. only thing im worried about.

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #11 on: Nov 3, 2009, 04:00PM »
You should do it yourself mate, it's not as hard as you think and you will learn a lot from it. Also, now you've got the manifold, you don't need to get a GTiR turbo, go for something a bit better, like a GT2871R. Good sized turbo for a 2L. I have one on my attesa and it goes great.
great is an understatement lol!
"Noss is God"

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
« Reply #12 on: Nov 3, 2009, 08:26PM »
might seem like a bit of a silly question,
but what sort of 0-100 times and 1/4 mile times are u pulling with the GT2871R...and what do u estimate a bluebird would do with a gti-r turbo..if anyone has any idea?:)
sorry for all the noob questions:)
also,
why is there hardly any videos of bluebirds on youtube..i wanna some in action from inside the car!! :)

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #13 on: Nov 3, 2009, 08:34PM »
depending on the setting up with the tune, and the boost running. i would estimate mid to high 12's with a gtir or gt28 turbo on moderate boost.

im running a 13.5 sec U12 bluey with a high flowed t25 on 11 psi, and for all intents it has a 5.5sec 0-100kmh.

so running the right setup you can go along way and its all dependant on how for you want to go

The Time Has Come To Battle It Out To The Death... SR24 vs KA24

The bluey must be revived to Life!!

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
« Reply #14 on: Nov 3, 2009, 08:52PM »
oh yes please!! lol
i think i would be more then happy with a gti-r turbo!!
well i got a few months to think it through:)
should note the mods that are on the car( havent actualy got the car yet,in a few weeks it should be in my possesion)

-Fully adjustable coilovers allround
-Excedy Heavy Duty Clutch.
Features include:
- Running 9 psi ( not sure if it actualy has a boost controller on it or not ?)
- 3 inch exhaust from dump pipe back
- Front mount Intercooler
- Blow off Valve ( unsure of brand or model)

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 3, 2009, 09:12PM »
2871R should go into the 11's and still be very streetable. I say should because I've been unable to run my car, we have no drag strip in SA. And 9 PSI is crap, buy a t valve for it and boost it up to 15PSI the day you get it, should still be pushing 13 pound at redline.
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
« Reply #16 on: Nov 3, 2009, 10:17PM »
yeah thats my first thing im going to do to it!!..but 15psi sounds like a far bit on a stock turbo..is that safe? i was thinking 12-13 psi..but if 15psi is safe..then im all for that:p

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #17 on: Nov 4, 2009, 08:38AM »
I was running 15psi all day everyday on my stocker, even did a 13.8 with it on an auto box :)

Just make sure your fuel pump is working properly.
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
« Reply #18 on: Nov 10, 2009, 06:25PM »
should be getting my bluebird sometime next week hopefully:)
WOO!!
so whats a good cheap boost controller ? and where is a good place to get it from?
ebay?
lol

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • antrx.com junkie

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
« Reply #20 on: Nov 10, 2009, 07:11PM »
ahh damn...missed it...but now i know where to look!!! lol.turbosmart was what i was thinking aswell!!

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2009, 07:52PM »
I also have one, brilliant little controller
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
« Reply #23 on: Nov 10, 2009, 08:14PM »
nice and cheap..i just bought one off ebay:P
thanks for the tip guys!!
what is needed ? does itcome with lil clamps or whatever?( i have some idea of what im talking about..i think?)

Offline lgee

• post whore
  • Attesa Racer
    • WheelTech Racing
« Reply #24 on: Nov 10, 2009, 10:14PM »
I Greddy profec adjustable boost controller, dial it up or down from the drivers seat, cost me $75 on ebay very accurate and stable, no boost spiking,  i can run 7lb turn the dial a bit and i have 10 turn a bit more 12 more 15, it has a Overtake boost function as well where you can wire a switch to your steering wheel and when you push the button it allows the boost to goto a predetermined setting bit like push to pass from indy, as well as you can lock the boost low so when to take it to the shop they cant get funky with the boost and hurt ur engine, worth a look.

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
« Reply #25 on: Nov 11, 2009, 09:49AM »
thanks,
but i already bought the turbotech boost controller :) anyone have any photos of how they installed theres? im sure its not that hard but i am mechanically retarded:P

also,
whats everyones opinion on running 15psi on the stock turbo?

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #26 on: Nov 11, 2009, 10:36AM »
I Greddy profec adjustable boost controller, dial it up or down from the drivers seat, cost me $75 on ebay very accurate and stable, no boost spiking,  i can run 7lb turn the dial a bit and i have 10 turn a bit more 12 more 15, it has a Overtake boost function as well where you can wire a switch to your steering wheel and when you push the button it allows the boost to goto a predetermined setting bit like push to pass from indy, as well as you can lock the boost low so when to take it to the shop they cant get funky with the boost and hurt ur engine, worth a look.

Got a link to the one you bought?

Im looking for an adjustable one if possible...
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline awd2.0t

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #27 on: Nov 11, 2009, 08:11PM »
Got a link to the one you bought?

Im looking for an adjustable one if possible...

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've got a turbosmart dual stage sitting in the bottom draw if anyone is interested just pm me or call/txt 0418 50 70 30.  Located in Melbourne. 
Cheers
Sean

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
« Reply #28 on: Nov 12, 2009, 08:51PM »
WOO!! i get the car on the 20th..or around then:D:D
i have a stupid question that i should of thought of in the first place...i have 9 months left on my P's ( in victoria)
am i even able to rego the car in my own name? i dont see why i shouldnt be able too.
also, anyone got pics of how they installed there boost controller ? im sure its not that hard..just dont want to screw it up:)

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #29 on: Nov 12, 2009, 09:20PM »
The turbo on the attesa is right at the front of the car, just behind the radiator, on it there is a small cylinder called the waste gate actuator, there is a hose going to it. You need to follow that hose back a little way, cut it, and put you boost controller in between.