Author Topic: Air Intake System  (Read 2381 times)

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
  • 5.7L LS1 oooh yeah baby!
Air Intake System
« on: Jan 27, 2006, 02:42PM »
Was having a fiddle around with the air intake system from the car and i've got a question...
The air intake snorkle from the airbox draws in its air from behind the headlight but mid way through this snorkle, a pipe connects to it and goes straight down.
My question is, what does this pipe that goes straight down do? Does it suck in air like the snorkle behind the headlight?
If no one knows what I mean, i'll grab a pic of it.

Also, I disconnected the snorkle from the airbox and took the car for a run. The intake noise sounds a lot more throaty now.
Cheers.

Offline greenbird

• antrx.com senior member
Re: Air Intake System
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2006, 03:36PM »
The pipe that shoots downwards from the intake before the airbox is a water drain.
It's used to drain away any water that gets in there when you are (for example) washing your car and water squirts in there accidentally.
Dan.
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2006, 03:46PM »
Nope.

Its actually the intake resonator and is designed to quieten down the cars intake/induction noise.

The KA24E and KA24DE have them on that snorkle down to behind the headlight.  My CA20E corsair did not have this intake resonator and my bluebird has it in a differant place.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2006, 04:57PM »
Nope.

Its actually the intake resonator and is designed to quieten down the cars intake/induction noise.

The KA24E and KA24DE have them on that snorkle down to behind the headlight.  My CA20E corsair did not have this intake resonator and my bluebird has it in a differant place.

Interesting, how do you remove this resonator?
Just rip the snorkle and the down pipe out?
Also, would this resonator be restricting the air intake system?
Cheers.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2006, 11:22PM »
Alot of people say resonators restrict airflow, but I've also heard from very reputable sources that they don't do squat to the airflow.

If you're going to remove the snorkel (highly recommended if it's anything like the U12 snorkel) just leave the resonator in there. It only weighs a couple hundred grams.

The U12 snorkel is nothing but a restrictive pipe designed to reduce induction noise. It was the first thing to go out of my induction system when I got my car.

If you absolutely must remove the resonator, you should be able to get it out from under the wheel arch. Unscrew and pull back the inner plastic guard thingy under the guard and unbolt the resonator and pull it out.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2006, 12:14AM »
In all U12's there is a rubber grommet in place of the resonator if its not there... noss removed his and put his CAI through the hole (enlarged to 3").  Hughs FMIC piping runs up through the same hole... its a perfect space for many uses :)

Remove the snorkle and the intake resonator inside the guard.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2006, 08:44AM »
Hmm you just seem to be wanting me to come over and visit ya.

Yea it is a resignator box like Budgie said. I removed mine, not hard at all, just unscrew few of the screws holding the wheel arch plastic thing in place and there should be like 2 bolts, 10mm that hold the box in, and then just squeeeeeze it thru the hole where you removed the wheel arch thing.

Im up aspley today if you want me to pop around.
Will send you a SMS..

Im slowly working on a good CAI for my stock box, made a new lid for the box so my POD fits under it, then will seal it off and put a 65mm flex pipe down to the front of the car where it will be sucking in cold air, hopefully keeping the POD cooler, at the moment the POD just getting shit load of HOT air...hmmmm

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2006, 07:52PM »
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.
Yeah Tommy, I may have a go at making a good CAI too, probably run the pipe down the resonator hole. We'll have to get together sometime and get our CAIs going.

Offline brad

• antrx.com full member
  • WAGOOD......
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2006, 09:29PM »
Yeh i ripped this sucker out aswell.Ran  2 inch flexi pipe stuff down through the vacant hole cut out a little hole underneath the front bar and this serves as my CAI.
I also have a 2nd pipe running up to behind the headlight.Not sure if it actually made a difference but it looks cool running into my swis-cheesed airbox.
Will take pics if anyone is interested??
Cheers,Brad

If your happy and you know it clap your hands!!!!

Offline greenbird

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2006, 05:25PM »
Nope.

Fair enough..... I was wrong.
I didn't think it was as technical as that!!!!!
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs