Author Topic: Installing a HUD into a U13 LX  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
  • 5.7L LS1 oooh yeah baby!
Installing a HUD into a U13 LX
« on: Oct 11, 2005, 02:37PM »
Now I considered just getting an aftermarket Defi HUD unit but after reading about retrofitting a HUD on Altimas (US Bluebird) it got me interested again...
From what i've read, the HUD was available in certain U13 Altima 93 and 94 models and then it was canned.
People with newer Altimas have fitted the HUD from the 93 or 94 models into their newer models but they've needed to source the wiring harness and modify their existing wiring.
Since the HUD was available on the AUS U13 Bluebirds from 93 to 97, I believe that the HUD wiring will be present in all AUS U13 models and to get it working all you need to do is source an AUS U13 SSS cluster and the HUD display unit.

I've got a huge favour to ask any Brisbane AUS U13 members - would they be willing to remove their instrument cluster and HUD display unit and put it in my U13 LX so I can see if i'm in fact correct about the wiring.
Cheers.

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
Re: Installing a HUD into a U13 LX
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2006, 12:44PM »
Unfortunately the LX wiring loom does not actually have the wiring in it for the SSS HUD control unit. I was hoping that all models ran the same loom and the HUD display unit just got its reading from the speedo.
So it looks like the only option would be to replace the LX loom with the SSS loom. I can pick one up for $50 but apparently its a bugger of a job to do. I wouldn't have a clue where to begin and quite frankly my autoelec said the same thing. He said it would take him anywhere from 4 hours to 8 hours. Crap!

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2006, 03:22PM »
Is it just replacing the loom inside the cabin? Or does it need a new loom to the engine bay aswel? I have had to replace a wiring harness in my old pulsar and to be honest its not a hard job to do provided you have paitence and a lot of time...and some cable ties.

Best thing to do is get what you need first, then set aside a weekend to pull the dash out of the car. Remove old  harness replace with new making sure you try and clip everything back roughly where the old stuff came out off. And put everything back in.

If your replacing sections of the harness and need to splice into cables and what not then your going to get into more difficulites that way unless you do your homework first and know exactly which wires need to be spliced into first.

Hope that helps a little...
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2006, 11:34PM »
Apparently there are two looms in the U13s, one which goes to the engine and the other which controls the headlights etc so I assume i'd just need to replace the one loom. I have no idea where to start if I had to replace the entire loom so it looks like the best deal would be to splice into the wires (which I'm finding out more about at the moment). From what i've been told so far, all I need is the wiring harness plug (M45 in the FSM) and then I need to tap it into the signal wires. Still finding out exactly what wires will need to be tapped into.
If it involves too much cutting and splicing then replacing the whole loom may be worth considering. I can pick one up for $50.
Thanks for your help mate.

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2006, 12:05AM »
Here's what the guy that's telling me what to do had to say...

This is just an example, but what I meant is something like this.

Take the M45 plug and start from pin 1. What is that pin's function? Say it is the seat belt. You take the wire from that pin 1 and solder it to the original wire where the seat belt is actually found on the original wiring. Say it is M46 pin 5. So M46-5 provides the seat belt signal to M45-1. Do that for each and every pin and you will have all the signals that the HUD need and uses. Let me know if this makes sense.

Now the problem is identifying the wires. I've got some wiring diagrams for the US U13 but they have provisions for ABS and all that shit that we didn't get so I'm assuming that our looms will not have the ABS etc wiring in it.

Can anyone help me in obtaining wiring diagrams for the AUS U13?
Cheers.

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2006, 12:09PM »
Do you need the dash taken out to install the HUD?

If you do id recommend replacing the loom as it will be so much easier than splicing into wiring.
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2006, 04:36PM »
In U12s there is a cabin loom, a boot loom, a dash loom, an engine loom and an engine bay loom that are all connected by various plugs. I'm guessing you'd just have to replace the dash loom which would require you to remove the whole dash of your car.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2006, 09:24PM »
Nah, to install the HUD you just have to replace the instrument cluster with a SSS instrument cluster and connect up the HUD display unit. That's without the wiring problem...
I wouldn't know where to begin if I decided to replace the loom, same applies for splicing, I have an idea of what needs to be done but I wouldn't do it as i've had little soldering experience.
Has anyone here ever replaced a dash loom that may be able to give me a hand?

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2006, 09:38PM »
I have replaced a dash loom in my pulsar as i mentioned earlier and would have no problems helping you out. Let me know when your thinking of doing it so i can try and organise to be there. Its quite easy really, just time consuming taking the dash out.

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2006, 09:48PM »
Cheers mate, i'll have a think about it and let you know :)