Author Topic: sparkplugz  (Read 2810 times)

Offline pintochic

• antrx.com junior member
sparkplugz
« on: Nov 4, 2015, 08:03PM »
Hi
Just wondering whether iridium spatkies worth around $25 each compared to normal cheap sparkies with $5 each would give my pintara more power?
I have a 2 ltr auto.
mechanic seemed to think no..
Cheers :)

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re: sparkplugz
« Reply #1 on: Nov 5, 2015, 06:09AM »
the answer to that one is no.

the only way you can get more power out of just sparkplugs is to index them. basically what this means is that they're all facing the same way (firing toward exhaust). I've only watched a part of it, but summit racing has a decent video on how to do it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRo2Cjr66PY

as you can see, you basically need a set of indexing washers and a bit of patience. not sure what kind of extra power you would get out of a CA20E by doing this, but back in the day hot 4's did a writeup with dyno results showing ~2kw gains.

Another thing to consider is with the CA20E you have 8 sparkplugs (another good reason not to buy $25 irridium plugs!) and some of the CA20 guys here back in the day hooked up the plugs so they ran at the same time, giving them double the spark. The way they did that is to wire the cable that drives the intake coil to the exhaust coil, causing it to fire at the same time.

You could also have a go at advancing your timing to get a bit of extra out of the CA20 to give you a bit of extra oomph. You're not going to turn the car into a supercar, but you'll at least get a little something extra out of it.
« Last Edit: Nov 6, 2015, 08:34AM by noss »

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline pintochic

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #2 on: Nov 5, 2015, 08:40AM »
Thanks for reply and for the info :)
ps sorry i posted this topic 3 times the internet was stuffing up lol

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Nov 6, 2015, 06:16AM »
Iridiums are only used because they degrade less than an equivalent copper plug in the same operating conditions - i.e. longer service intervals.

I used to run a set of NGK Iridums in my old daily driven U12 TRX, only for that reason. I didn't buy mine locally, got them for about $4 AUD each from rockauto.com.  Pretty good value for money considering I was ordering a heap of stuff at the time to do a major service.

Noticed exactly zero fuel economy / performance improvement over copper plugs.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #4 on: Nov 6, 2015, 08:49AM »
Thanks for reply and for the info :)
ps sorry i posted this topic 3 times the internet was stuffing up lol

no problems. i didn't even notice the 3 threads.

if you want to get more power out of your ca20e, i'd look at things like a 2.25" exhaust, air intake and maybe a piggy back ecu to adjust the fuel a little, but you'll need to learn what to tune to if you decide to do that.

what i would actually recommend though if you do want power is a ca18det swap, but that's a lot of dollars and effort. really depends on how much more power you want.

Iridiums are only used because they degrade less than an equivalent copper plug in the same operating conditions - i.e. longer service intervals.

i run iridiums in my mini and i've never changed them since i've installed them. just a gap check and light scrub with sandpaper to make sure they're  tidy.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Nov 6, 2015, 12:33PM »
if you want to get more power out of your ca20e, i'd look at a KA24ET

Fixed.