Author Topic: How to prep for vinyl spray  (Read 2873 times)

Offline bigbazza6969

• antrx.com junior member
How to prep for vinyl spray
« on: Aug 24, 2007, 02:35AM »
Hey i know theres like a fair few threads on vinyl spray and i have tried to search but i cant find anywhere that tells you EXACTLY what to do...Ok so i know you take out the parts you want to spray but do you need to prep the surface first?how many coats?also can you take out the real big part of the dash that meets the front windscreen?its the thing the dash mat site on?

thanks guys/girls
Justin 8)
1990 Ford Corsair GL UA Manual. 2..6'' pioneers in the front,2..6'' Pioneers in the rear.Pioneer Head Deck with ipod connection..12'' Kenwood Sub in the boot in kustom made ported box.Extractors Fitted,Tacho and shifting light mounted,Boss kit and F1 racing wheel fitted,1200W 2-CH amp running kenwood sub,4-Ch 700W Running 4 speakers..Things to come- Vinyl respray(Red & Black..very soon:D),mid range speakers,custom roof lining..Very soon too :D,Mags(One Day lol),Clear head and tinted tail lights,TRX wing and body kit.

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
Re: How to prep for vinyl spray
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2007, 06:41PM »
If it is a soft plastic like vinyl on your door trims then I advise you use a plastic primer so the paint adhere's to it better also so it dosn't mely it. If it is a hard plastic like dash bords then clean it with (also clean 'soft' plastic) wax and grease remover. Thinners might melt the plastic so I wouldn't use that.

When you paint, do it on a non humid day that has plenty of sun, once painted place the painted item in the sun for a while, this will help make the paint finish more shiny so it will blend in with the rest of the car.

Whether you take my advice is up to you, this is what we told people when I worked in the paint/panelbeting supply store (not scotties/supercheap/repco etc).
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2007, 09:31PM by Langers_87 »

Offline bigbazza6969

« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2007, 10:09PM »
ohk thanks mate..but do you know if its possible to take the top part of the dash out where the dash mat sits?yhanks
1990 Ford Corsair GL UA Manual. 2..6'' pioneers in the front,2..6'' Pioneers in the rear.Pioneer Head Deck with ipod connection..12'' Kenwood Sub in the boot in kustom made ported box.Extractors Fitted,Tacho and shifting light mounted,Boss kit and F1 racing wheel fitted,1200W 2-CH amp running kenwood sub,4-Ch 700W Running 4 speakers..Things to come- Vinyl respray(Red & Black..very soon:D),mid range speakers,custom roof lining..Very soon too :D,Mags(One Day lol),Clear head and tinted tail lights,TRX wing and body kit.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2007, 10:08PM »
Of course it is.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline bigbazza6969

« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2007, 03:04PM »
Of course it is.
ohk.well could you please tell me how cause i havent done it before?i know how to take the cover of the steering column off and the face part of the dash that covers the cd player.thankz

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2007, 10:26PM »
There's heaps more to it than that, you've gotta take out almost everything in front of the seats before the dash pad comes out.

Check out the service manual here -> http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php?topic=7177.0

It'll tell you everything you need.

And as for preparing the dash, I'd use Wax and Grease Remover, you get it in the solvents section of auto shops. It's specifically designed for preparing stuff for paint.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline bigbazza6969

« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2007, 12:35AM »
Would plastic primer be better or wax and grease remover?
WOuld it be better to spray the dash top while its on or better to take it off?
Thanks for ya help buddy

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2007, 06:19PM »
use wax grease to remove  wax and grease residue/build up. then put down the plastic primer, this helps with adhesion.

Just a quick one, are you using vinyl paint as I am led to believe or are you using acrylic paint and painting vinyl pieces.
    If you are using vinyl paint you shouldn't need plastic primer, it should be in it already. If using acrylic paint then test it on a inconspicuous area first as acyclic can sometimes melt plastic.

Offline trx_reece

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2007, 09:06PM »
hey mate as you might know i have done mine exatly like you are doing. there is a fey things you have to do. to take out the dash you have to pretty much take the whole lot out the instument cluster the center dash the side covers when you open the doors there is a screw on either side and up the top ypu will see a grille cover neer the window pop them off and there is 4 screws there you will find that there is not many screws to undo just taking everything infront of it out is the pain in the ass. i didnt do much prep just get rid of the grese and shit on the dash or the spray wont stick . o would advise more than 4 or 5 coats because this stuff scratches easy. i got one scratch putting the cluster back in. looks cool when finished. good luck ;D 

Offline bigbazza6969

« Reply #9 on: Aug 30, 2007, 10:18PM »
ohk thanks mate that was a really big help..i was goin to do it today but had to go to the wreckers and see a mate about my soundsystem(its pumpin now lol).ill end up doin it probs next wednesday cause i get paid then..so ill put up some pics as i go ;D

Offline bigbazza6969

« Reply #10 on: Sep 5, 2007, 09:16PM »
Ohk so its wednesday but i still havent sprayed my interior yet because as most of u know its raining..again..so now i have to wait probably ANOTHER week to do it...f@#k i hate rain.
How many coats do you rekon i should do and can you get like a clear hardner for plastic and vinyl?

Offline trx_reece

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #11 on: Sep 5, 2007, 09:40PM »
i would do 4 0r 5 just to be safe i did 4. you could do a clear coat type of thing but it is realy bright without it. i think if you did and it was hell glossy your eyes would suffer i mean like u would have to wear 3 pairs of sunnies lol :D

Offline bigbazza6969

« Reply #12 on: Sep 5, 2007, 10:34PM »
lol..yer i was just thinkin gof a clear coat to stop from peeling or scratching..has yours peeled or scratched much?
Would it be cheaper or easier to just buy new vinyl?
thanks