Author Topic: Just a general question.  (Read 3352 times)

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
Just a general question.
« on: Oct 25, 2010, 08:52PM »
hey just wandering about people who have pods sitting behind their front bumbers and people who have vents on their hoods leading straight into their air intake, now what happens if water gets in there while its raining ? will the filter just soak it up and not get into your motor or what ?
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
Re: Just a general question.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2010, 10:20PM »
hey just wandering about people who have pods sitting behind their front bumbers and people who have vents on their hoods leading straight into their air intake, now what happens if water gets in there while its raining ? will the filter just soak it up and not get into your motor or what ?

Depending on your setup, the pod will absorb alot of it but moisture/water can still get into the engine which is obviously not good.

Ryan posted along time ago that he drove into flooded water or something and his POD was filled with water and the car cut out.

What setup do you have? Is your POD behind the foglight area or something? I wouldn't really recommend making a vent in your bonnet to the Pod as it would increase the chances of getting moisture in to bay. In saying that so can it having where the fog lights are. There are a few that have been running this setup for awhile without too many dramas.

Perhaps try a sealed pod with a pipe running to the front. Either way you will still run the risk unless you keep just a Pod in the bay which you will enjoy heatsoak to an extent unless sealed off.

Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2010, 09:42AM »
Umm just stock airbox ATM man with a Drift panel filter. But I was looking around and thought about going with a vent in the hood and changing my air intake setup from there. Either that or go and buy that k&n apolllo and run to my fog light area.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2010, 12:25PM »
You are not going to run into too many dramas with water and the pod.  Noss had the problem because his pod was very low down and he didnt have the plastic guard around the wheel arch so water was going everywhere in there.  If you live in Queensland where they get torrential rain and flash flooding, I'd keep the intake point under the bonnet with a vent, or rip out the reserve air tank and chuck in some 3" pipe down there to behind the pod.

A little moisture in the engine is not always a bad thing... can increase compression ratio and boost power in some cases!  too much is ovbiously bad... I'm not sure where the limit is.

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2010, 12:45PM »
Umm just stock airbox ATM man with a Drift panel filter. But I was looking around and thought about going with a vent in the hood and changing my air intake setup from there. Either that or go and buy that k&n apolllo and run to my fog light area.

I wouldn't personally do the vent in the bonnet method. Mind you, there's a CRX screaming the streets near me with the Pod blatantly hanging out the front...

The K&N Apollo is a decent setup, Minimikee has this in his TRX and seems to go well. IF I end up parting my U12 out, I have a Drift Sealed Pod/pipe running to the front setup (which is similar to the K&N) I'll probably put up for sale depending what I do with the next car. I saw almost the same at AutoBarn for close to $160 so I grabbed a bargain when I bought it off Laurence awhile ago. Though I don't think Drift is the best brand, it did seem to work alright.. though I haven't refitted the pipe to the front..

You are not going to run into too many dramas with water and the pod.  Noss had the problem because his pod was very low down and he didnt have the plastic guard around the wheel arch so water was going everywhere in there.  If you live in Queensland where they get torrential rain and flash flooding, I'd keep the intake point under the bonnet with a vent, or rip out the reserve air tank and chuck in some 3" pipe down there to behind the pod.

A little moisture in the engine is not always a bad thing... can increase compression ratio and boost power in some cases!  too much is ovbiously bad... I'm not sure where the limit is.

Ryan did have some trouble even when Tucked up high, though I didn't know he didn't have the wheel arch guard.

If you live in Queensland where they get torrential rain and flash flooding, I'd keep the intake point under the bonnet with a vent, or rip out the reserve air tank and chuck in some 3" pipe down there to behind the pod.

Talk about Rain!! At one stage I expected a bearded man to knock on the door asking for 2 of every animal... ::)

I say best bet is sealed pod with pipe running to the front or if your game, pipe running from TB to the front with Sealed Pod down there..

Are you in Brisbane?

Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2010, 12:56PM »
Yeah. There's a blue and black crx getting round near me too with skulls on the back bumper and same sorta thing with the pod. There's vents on eBay from S&S or what ever they are called, it's 27 bucks for 2 vents. Yeah man I'm in brisbane. Although with these vents I was looking at, if you had one just above your pod I don't think it would have too much trouble seeing as it's covered by heavy mesh.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2010, 02:26PM »
Yeah. There's a blue and black crx getting round near me too with skulls on the back bumper and same sorta thing with the pod. There's vents on eBay from S&S or what ever they are called, it's 27 bucks for 2 vents. Yeah man I'm in brisbane. Although with these vents I was looking at, if you had one just above your pod I don't think it would have too much trouble seeing as it's covered by heavy mesh.

Just be wary about Vents especially cheap ones as I think alot of the time they look craphouse.

A few cars can pull of vents well i.e Scoops that don't look like Hecktik F&F styles. Other cars can have simple vents as well that look decent AND serve a function. Most of those ones are either for a Top Mount or to literally vent heat out of the engine bay. Venting heat out of the engine bay has its obvious advantages when done properly.

It makes a difference if you have Ceramic Covered Headers as well (though this is expensive).

It sounds like you will have a vent on the lower right of the bonnet with a scoop or pod right near it?

I see lots of Fugly Excels/RIOs with this style and looks IMO crap.

I think as well the RAM air Physics would be at its peak at the very front of the car and right at the bottom of the windshield.

Will you have Piping running from the Throttle Body as well?

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2010, 04:59PM »
haha dude i know what you mean by the fast and furios shit along with the hyandai excels.
ok, just so you can get the picture in your head, i own a red corsair ghia with the full trx kit, no spoiler and i had the whole middle section of the font bumper cut out with mesh put behind. Now i guess cooling the engine bay would probably be the first option i should look into, ive actually seen a gun metal grey trx with a wrx scoop and personally i think it suited it, it was different.

here on ebay are a few scoops and vents i have found but not too sure of, tell me what you think.
http://stores.ebay.com.au/ACCESSORIES-ONLINE/SCOOPS-SPOILERS-/_i.html?_fsub=13&_sid=110992571&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

but dude if you decide to part your trx i might be your number one buyer :P i live in brisbane.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2010, 11:11AM »
In regard to Drift pod filters being any good, apparently according to a Drift ad, they out performed the K&N filter in a test in America i dont remember details but its just food for thought. Drift pod filters are also a dry filter or so im led to believe and thus are good to use on cars wid afm ect ie the trx. Their are oil recharge kits for the Drift pod filters and apparently that's optional and they arent to re-oil the pod but to oil it in the first place.

Food for thought.
"Noss is God"