Author Topic: Noise filter  (Read 4785 times)

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
Noise filter
« on: Aug 2, 2005, 05:07PM »
i've just installed a noise filter, but it doesn't cut out 100% of all the engine noise (but quite a significant amount).  i mounted the noise filter incabin, as opposed to under the hood.

will mounting it closer to the battery make much of a difference?  also, the interference is much more prominent through my rear 6x9's, but only started occuring when i installed my subs.  the 6x9's are running off the headdeck.

power cables are on the opposite side to rca's

Project Siltara has been chipped, nismofied and getting exhausted

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
Re: Noise filter
« Reply #1 on: Aug 2, 2005, 05:24PM »
I would check the grounding on the amp for the subs first and the head-deck grounding too.

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #2 on: Aug 2, 2005, 06:12PM »
the amp is definately grounded to the chassis, but probably not the headdeck..  i'll check that out tomorrow...

when i first started the stereo with the filter, i could still hear the sound... but after driving around for about 30 minutes, it seems that the noise has gone from the 6x9's... will require a two man job to see if its still there..

definately still in the subs tho... i'll check all my groundings tomorrow.. thanks

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Aug 3, 2005, 10:09AM »
usually check in this order: grounding (bare metal), RCAs away from power, headunit grounded properly (if a pioneer headunit, theres your problem!), old or dieing altenator - new altenator

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #4 on: Aug 3, 2005, 12:43PM »
is having a pioneer headdeck a problem because its crap, or because its better if you ground them properly?  hopefully i'll be getting a new headdeck at some stage, but realistically, its the last of my priorities...

the sound has disappeared altogether from the 6x9's, but i can still hear it in the subs

Offline Jecks

• antrx.com pit crew
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
    • antrx.com
« Reply #5 on: Aug 3, 2005, 01:15PM »
first of all... poineer are shithouse headunits...
second of all... try changin your spark plugs to "Bosch Resistor"
I'm sick of my knob going all floppy and loose in my hand  :P 
I've been on probation for 21 years, can't make a decision without consulting the wife first  ::)

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #6 on: Aug 3, 2005, 03:23PM »
haha, fair enough... hmm... well, i just replaced the spark plugs with a set of ngk's, so yeah... probably won't be doing that for a while, but never the less, i'll explore all my other options first methinks..

i can't really hear it in the boot, so it doesn't bother me all too much

Offline Jecks

• antrx.com pit crew
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
    • antrx.com
« Reply #7 on: Aug 3, 2005, 04:43PM »
just a note for next time... dont use NGK, they suck just as much as pioneer HU's do...
I'm sick of my knob going all floppy and loose in my hand  :P 
I've been on probation for 21 years, can't make a decision without consulting the wife first  ::)

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #8 on: Aug 3, 2005, 05:22PM »
damn... i'm striking out all over the place..

Offline JIMB0

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #9 on: Aug 3, 2005, 05:22PM »
just a note for next time... dont use NGK, they suck just as much as pioneer HU's do...

Why? Whats wrong with NGK?

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #10 on: Aug 3, 2005, 08:54PM »
First of all. What is wrong with pioneer H.U? I have a crappy 1 in my car and i like it. Im not saying its good but for $130 i thought it was pretty sweet.

Another thing u could try to get rid of the noise is to test the setup with a better quality set of RCA cords. I had/have this problem 2 but its becuase my rca cable is cheap and shit and i believe that the reason for the ground noise is because there isnt enough plastic/rubber around the wire of the rca cables to stop the current jumping over to the ground. This is what i beleive i dont no if its correct yet.

But try a different set anyway.

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #11 on: Aug 4, 2005, 12:35PM »
the problem with pioneer headunits is that the ALL have very poor quality internal ground tracks, and no matter which one you buy it will have engine noise, but the severity will depend on the car, cables, altenator and so on

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #12 on: Aug 4, 2005, 12:40PM »
its just strange because i never had the engine noise before installing the amp

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #13 on: Aug 4, 2005, 08:39PM »
u probably had it but couldnt hear it hench the amp amplified the noise making it noticable!

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 4, 2005, 10:55PM »
And there could be a worse ground to the RCAs than to the internal amp in the HU, hence more noise.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #15 on: Aug 5, 2005, 12:17AM »
but i'm still running the 6x9's off the head deck...

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #16 on: Aug 5, 2005, 01:37AM »
It might be a bad ground or a noisy amp feeding back through the RCAs to your head unit?
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 26, 2005, 02:03AM »
OK, to revive this thread, I bought Colzie's old Pioneer DEH-P4650MP head unit, and there's noise feeding back through the RCAs to the head unit. Is there any way I can fix the problem with the poor ground tracks in the head unit? Will soldering a few ground wires between the RCAs and the preamp in the head unit help?

Everything's grounded properly, yesterday arvo I ran a 10ga ground cable from the head unit to the dash and also to the amp ground, and the head unit and the amp are running off the same power wiring using a junction block under the dash. I got an RCA isolation transformer from Strathfield, but I realised once I got home that it only had a frequency response of 40Hz-34ish kHz, too high for an amp running a sub. It did cut out most of the noise but it also cut out most of the bass. :'(

I just checked the rating on the Jaycar isolation transformer, it's 20Hz-20kHz, I'll go and get one of them once they get more stock in.
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2005, 02:06AM by Jono »
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #18 on: Oct 26, 2005, 08:12AM »
loop some wire around the RCAs, then ground them, that may help

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #19 on: Oct 26, 2005, 08:18AM »
Ur not going to like this but try a diff head unit. Its what i had to do in the end. I used to get nuts engine noise when my speakers were amp'd thru an amp not the head unit. But now i have good grounding, a good head unit and still shitty rca's and i dont get any noise.

Heres a question for u stick. Will cheap rca cables have any interference or crossover?

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #20 on: Oct 26, 2005, 09:23AM »
I disagree on the pioneer headunits...maybe its the case in the bottom of the range units but i know on my unit i have never had any noise other than clean crisp sound. You get what u pay for and i spent big on a headunit and havnt regretted it...have never had a single problem with it.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 26, 2005, 02:05PM »

Do you mean around the outer ring on the RCA plugs? I thought of that after I re-read this thread.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #22 on: Oct 27, 2005, 12:36PM »

Heres a question for u stick. Will cheap rca cables have any interference or crossover?

Yeah Ash, they do, if you want RCA's that wont give any engine noise, the only ones i have found that dont are a brand called "streetwires" its pricy stuff ($40 for a 5m pair) but they are Zero noise, guanteed.

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #23 on: Oct 28, 2005, 08:29AM »
Yeah Ash, they do, if you want RCA's that wont give any engine noise, the only ones i have found that dont are a brand called "streetwires" its pricy stuff ($40 for a 5m pair) but they are Zero noise, guanteed.

I would have thought so. Mine are really shitty and i will get round to replacing everything when i upgrade from my budget system. What i will need is new wiring, 2 new back speakers, get my sub repair'd and buy a new speaker amp. Will have to have a big chat to u about that speaker amp cuz i have no idea what i want atm.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #24 on: Oct 28, 2005, 08:31AM »

I did this yesterday, bugger all noise now! Thanks SSStick! ;D
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!