Author Topic: whats considered a hard launch ?  (Read 3143 times)

Offline fez200

• antrx.com full member
  • BARBIE AIN'T HERE..!
    • RAW4x4
whats considered a hard launch ?
« on: Oct 24, 2006, 10:22AM »
ive just converted my attesa to a manual trans (picking it up in 2 days...cant wait)

ive read on other forums etc that you get about 40 hard launches before you stuff your transmission.

id just like to clarify whats considered a hard launch ?? i.e stall it to 5000rpm and dump the clutch.
ive had plenty of high performance RWD manual cars, but never an AWD manual.

the reason is i just dont want to go through the troubles of another blown transmission..i want to make this one last...id still like it to get off the line quick but not put too much stress on the box.
God gave man a brain and a penis and only enough blood to operate one at a time.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: whats considered a hard launch ?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2006, 10:50AM »
You mean a workshop has converted it :P... if you can, take a pic of the reverse lights wiring (if they have done it).

Well, a little bit of clutch slip is better for the transmission gears and mounts/casing... IE: get the car moving slightly before dumping the clutch.  I don't really launch hard, its just not worth it.

I only ever do it in the rain, or when the surface is loose :P... I know that sounds gay, but another AWD transmission swap does not sound like fun to me and if the wheels are loosing traction the gearbox doesn't feel the launch as much.

ive read on other forums etc that you get about 40 hard launches before you stuff your transmission.

I'm sure Hugh will counter this... his gearbox lasted many years.  Ending in the clutch breaking as well, not the gearbox itself.
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2006, 12:04PM by Budgie »
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2006, 06:27PM »
hahaha

well wat can i say budge, the clutch went first....... it surprised me......
but yeah i wouldnt say i was dumping the clutch, more like a little slip the completely off quickly, not slip off the side of the pedal itself. but i would say i would have done about 100-200 launchs easyand now gone through two clutchs.

generally as a rule of thumb, you will find, you dont need to go over 5000rpm to get a good launch, you get on boost but dont get alot of wheelspin, and feed the power into it in first gear, not all gas then dump the clutch, as thats what breaks things

The Time Has Come To Battle It Out To The Death... SR24 vs KA24

The bluey must be revived to Life!!

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2006, 10:53PM »
but yeah i wouldnt say i was dumping the clutch, more like a little slip the completely off quickly

Yeah, thats what I meant.

I have never 'dumped' it... if that means taking your foot off as fast as possible after reving it to 4k +

I always slip it quickly.

Offline phreeky

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2006, 05:52PM »
yeah you should be able to make it last if you ensure you're loading the drivetrain up before "giving it all". also i don't normally hold the revs solid and dump, that just results in a lot of shock force on the drivetrain and if there is a lot of grip, it might even just bog down. best to blip the throttle between 3000rpm and 5000rpm, and bring the clutch up as the revs start to drop from 5000rpm.

if you slip lots what will happen is what happened to craazy, you'll kill clutches - that's a lot of stress for a clutch, sh*tloads of heat etc, they wont last all that long like that, but people generally prefer to replace clutches rather than gearboxes.

hardest launches i've done were on the limiter, but the few times i did that there was massive amounts of axel tramp, was terrible. imo it's not worth it, even if you aren't concerned about the gearbox.

these days i don't pay much attention to the exact revs and stuff, but the ultimate result is just enough slip so the car starts moving, then bring it up very swiftly. with reasonable tyres the result is wheel spin for about 3 or 4 metres. that'd be considered still a reasonably hard launch.

fark, that was a long post, sorry

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2006, 06:54PM »
phreeky, i dont slip lots, and thats not why the clutch died, this clutch survived the majority of the launching, say 90% of the amount of times i have launched my car, the clutch that was in the car when i got it was stuffed already as it was the original with 80,000kms on it.

i only load the gearbox and driveline up so it doesnt get a large shudder through then drop it quickly. much the same as what you would. with 5000rpm launchs i still get a 5 metre wheel spin happening. :) its good fun hehe i have had the car for 6 years and this is the first drama with it, and i drive it pretty damned hard. so now its a track car :P and getting all the goodies.

should be an easy 10sec car if its stripped out

Offline phreeky

« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2006, 11:28PM »
even with all the interior out, 10s are gonna be bloody hard - it's hard enough in a gtir, let alone a bluebird. plus 1st gear generally isn't the issue, if you've seen pics before it's built quite beefy, but as soon as you start making enough power to get anywhere near 10s the higher gears, especially 3rd, are going to be left without teeth.

Offline Loop

• Token Old Fart
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Old and busted ...
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2006, 10:24AM »
Brakes on and handbrake up (otherwise she creeps), revs to 2K to bring it up to boost territory, drop brake and mash accelerator at the same time ... in a RWD auto :P
209rwkW stock ... yes, it's a U12!!

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2006, 07:37PM »
well since i havent really said what my plans are for my car on here........ but i can gaurantee you that i wont have gearbox or clutch issues once it is back on the track. so thats not gonna be the issue. the issue will be elsewhere down the driveline, it will be trial and error trying to find a good driveshaft setup, then suspension to do the task of controlling it down the track........

im not at the stage of being a tight ass with the car. and plus i just want a damned fast car that i did myself.

but yeh then i will do sum heavy dumping of the clutch. like 8000rpm launch

Offline Cru1se_Missle

• The AWD guinea pig
  • r&d team
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Oh what a feeling.........ATTESA
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2006, 10:30PM »
i hear dogbox
9k for a set, pricey but worth it
ive done 6K launches on my old engine with a standard heavy duty box and box took it well, but i did ride it a little so there were no sudden shockload on the box.
well, ive been thru 5 boxes and i did learn from my mistakes.
Now that ive got an os giken twin plate with close ratio box, i have to get use to it before givin it a hard time down the track and if it breaks, mehh theres another one in the garage hehe
Tally whacker is a rock hard storm trooper with a purple helmet, made for crushing pink cookies
Gooni Goo Goo

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2006, 11:05PM »
hehehe, sounds good zul.

i will be going a nice gearset, not sure on which one yet but it will be a full dogbox setup, 1-5 straight cut gears, i love that gearbox whine.
and the actual case will be getting some strengthening aswell as the bellhousing. the transfer case is another part that will be getting some attention at the same time.

will be bulletproff then hopefully

Offline phreeky

« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2006, 10:41AM »
well make sure you let us know what you do with the casing then. make a new cast and start with a stronger material! :D haha

i hope you don't have gearbox issues, but i am concerned for the casing :) will be good to hear how you go though

cru1se_missle - close ratio? a gtir close ratio box, or aftermarket gearset?

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #12 on: Oct 28, 2006, 05:50PM »
Could be a close ratio gearset from a SSS-R... but doubtfull.

Offline Cru1se_Missle

• The AWD guinea pig
  • r&d team
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Oh what a feeling.........ATTESA
« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2006, 07:26PM »
cru1se_missle - close ratio? a gtir close ratio box, or aftermarket gearset?

Box came off a gtir b rally
Tally whacker is a rock hard storm trooper with a purple helmet, made for crushing pink cookies
Gooni Goo Goo