Author Topic: Anyone fitted D2's to there Attesa?  (Read 6700 times)

Offline Wolf In Sheep’s Clothing

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
Anyone fitted D2's to there Attesa?
« on: Apr 13, 2006, 02:49PM »
Has anyone fitted D2's to there Attesa. I will most likely be buying an Attesa in the not to distant future I was wondering if the D2's from my U13 lx will be able to be transfered across?
Written off HNU13 Atttesa, PM me for part requests.

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
Re: Anyone fitted D2's to there Attesa?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2006, 06:05PM »
this i would say is unlikely, but you never know they might just fit

The Time Has Come To Battle It Out To The Death... SR24 vs KA24

The bluey must be revived to Life!!

Offline phreeky

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2006, 03:41PM »
i've taken all the appropriate measurements, precisely (using vernier calipers etc), and it appears they'll fit perfectly.

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2006, 04:57PM »
hmmmmmmmmmm interesting. anyone interested in being a geniuea pig??? what could be any possible problems?
Project LUP15 <-- Click Here      ||      If you're an enthusiast in QLD or anywhere else, support it --> Lakeside Raceway

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2006, 10:25AM »
Hey guys, Ill be that geniuea pig  :P (providing i buy an attesa) from what iv read the attesa and the AU bird suspension system is pretty much the same.

Hears what I have read, This is from an article about fitting whiteline shocks which we all know they no longer stock, its from the article A Sharper Bird.

"The same kit can be used on the local FWD versions of the U13 bluebird. The shocks themselves may be fitted on the FWD, but on the 4WD you must buy springs and shocks as a kit as the stock 4WD springs will not fit the new struts."

What I make from that is that the coil overs should fit as the struts are the same fitting in the FWD as the AWD, as coil overs are springs and shocks together then your not using factory springs so there would be no problem with springs that don't fit.

If theres any thing wrong with this theory please tell me. Any way providing I buy an Attesa which I'm pretty much deffinate on I will be able to test out this theory.

Naturally in the good spirit of sharing ill tell you guys if it all works out, problems that it might have and ill supply photos of everything.

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2006, 11:18AM »
yeah theory sounds good. in practise shouldnt be much dramas either. which D2 edition did u get? track or street? does anyone have any input on what springs rates would provide a comfortable ride when the rebound rates are loosened up?
Project LUP15 <-- Click Here      ||      If you're an enthusiast in QLD or anywhere else, support it --> Lakeside Raceway

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2006, 11:46AM »
I'm not sure what edition d2's they are I'm assuming there track cause the springs are very hard. Its a very bumpy ride, but I changed the dampening a bit which makes it a little better. I know some people prefer ride to be comfortable but it doesn't bother me too much, then again its not too bad its bumpy but drive on it for a week and you have already forgot about it being bumpy.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2006, 01:11PM »
I can't remember... but was it true that the U13 struts would fit the U12 at FWD/AWD at the front?
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline phreeky

« Reply #8 on: Apr 19, 2006, 05:13PM »
budgie along with a basic photo of your strut, take measurements of:
- the distance between the bolts (from bolt centres) of the strut tops (NOTE: distances will likely be different between each bolt, not all the same)
- the thickness of the bolts on the strut tops
- the distance between the bolt holes on the base of the strut
- the size of the holes on the base of the strut

these will be the biggest factor in determining whether the D2s will fit i imagine (this is for the front only). it might also be a good idea to measure the diameter of the centre hole of the strut top as the adjustment section of the D2s might foul on the outer of that hole.

for the rear the strut tops will be totally different to the front, the strut bases on U13 are identical measurements front to rear iirc (but can check for younot 100% sure), and the rear also has the mount for the swaybar on it (the front has the swaybar on the control arm instead).

NOTE: just like when you're unbolting this stuff for other reasons, put something under the control arm so it doesn't drop too low and pop a shaft out the box and send oil all over the place, or a shaft out of the CV and you'll get all greasy hands and spend an hour or so trying to get the f*cker back in.

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #9 on: Apr 19, 2006, 08:07PM »
NOTE: just like when you're unbolting this stuff for other reasons, put something under the control arm so it doesn't drop too low and pop a shaft out the box and send oil all over the place, or a shaft out of the CV and you'll get all greasy hands and spend an hour or so trying to get the f*cker back in.

Very true I poped the shaft outta the box when installing my coil overs, Hard to get back in thats for sure, not to mention the oil spill.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #10 on: Apr 19, 2006, 09:10PM »
budgie along with a basic photo...

Thanks for all that phreeky.  I will take these measurments once I have some time.

I hope to get D2 to compare some U13 struts to GTiR ones they have (which I know fit the front of the U12).

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #11 on: Apr 20, 2006, 10:03AM »
Hey Budgie if you want measurements of D2's ill get them all for you when I try transfer them to the attesa I'm buying.

Just list what measurements you want taken and ill measure them for you.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #12 on: Apr 20, 2006, 01:57PM »
mate, the same measurements phreeky lists in his post a few above this.

That would be fantastic.  Really want to find out if the front ones fit.  Hopefully U13 fronts and GTiR rears will be the go.

Offline phreeky

« Reply #13 on: Apr 20, 2006, 02:37PM »
fyi the measurements for U13 D2s that D2 themselves gave me for the strut tops...

FRONT:
Measurement is from center to center 2 sides are 110mm, 1 side is 100mm

REAR:
Measurement 2 side is 99mm and 1 side is 113mm

That matches (more or less, within 0.5mm iirc) what I measured on my car, and there is a mm or so of play each side of the bolt holes for slight imperfection anyway.

I've got the measurements for the base of the struts written down at home somewhere, but it's relatively simple to measure anyway.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #14 on: Apr 20, 2006, 10:21PM »
I've got both front and rear struts out of a U12/UA FWD if anyone wants the measurements for them...
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #15 on: Apr 20, 2006, 11:00PM »
Measurements like Phreeky has listed for the front struts would be awesome Jono :)

Rears are nothing like the FWD U12's unfortunetly.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #16 on: Apr 21, 2006, 12:05AM »
Yeah, I know. At the first glance the bottom of the strut looks like it has the hub cast onto it, not bolted like what I've seen on ATTESAs.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 12:08PM »
any updates regarding this topic?

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 05:59PM »
Yep, I bought an Atessa and have fitted D2's to it, so they 100% do fit!

EDIT: They also feel 100% better than the factory struts with kings springs it had on it, when I bought it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 06:01PM by Wolf In Sheep’s Clothing »

Offline Marty

• west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • *no car :(*
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2006, 08:06PM »
anyone know of anything better than D2's?
or is that all we're stuck with.
Wanneroo (Barbagallos) short track time 63 seconds (58 - Evo) long track 79 (69 - Evo)
Mods - Bosch 910 fuel pump, Nismo 555cc injectors, Z32 AFM, USB Bikirom, Full Whiteline Handling Kit, DBA Rotors, Tomei Poncams + GT2871. (174ahkw)

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #20 on: Jun 1, 2006, 11:47AM »
G4  ::) might be some brands in the USA but the shipping is gonna b killer

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #21 on: Jun 1, 2006, 02:07PM »
I'm pretty sure g4 and k-sport are just re branded d2's.

I don't know why you would need better than d2's its not like there bad, Apparently there noisy but there not noisy at all IMO haven't herd a sound.

The us brands iv seen look dodgy, Iv seen some were you use the factory strut with a spring that has a compressing thing on it and it requires you to cut the factory strut up to fit it. Which is pretty bad. I don't think the US has anything better than D2's, I could be wrong.

If your willing to spend the money you could get some other brand to make you up a custom set. But that would just be a waste of money as D2's are very good anyway.

D2's with a whiteline kit make the U13 very nice to drive.

Offline phreeky

« Reply #22 on: Jun 1, 2006, 03:44PM »
nothing wrong with traditional setups either - good shocks (maybe just get your stock ones rebuilt and revavled to suit) and good springs. unless you're actually going to be adjusting it often.

the whiteline springs which is what i've got are somewhere in between stock and typical D2 spring rates - they're a reasonable amount stiffer but still feel like stock ones over bumps. i personally can't see much use for an even stiffer and/or lower setup unless it's a pure track car, on the track i got very slight initial body roll and that was it, nice.

this pic basically shows the most body roll i get, thats exiting a hair pin with around 3/4 throttle in first (so take into account some of the suspension travel visible on the left rear is due to acceleration, not just body roll) - http://www.clubpoint.net/sprints/sprints2.jpg

edit: oh and btw, a lot of the roll in that pic is also due to tyre roll on the 15s still

Offline Marty

• post whore
« Reply #23 on: Jun 1, 2006, 08:08PM »
only reason i was asking is cause the guys at the local performance shop were using D2's and say they are great for daily driving and occasional motorkhanas, but they aren't that great for racing and track days (which is understandable) was just wondering what else was on offer, I'm getting my suspension checked out soon anyway, could just be setup wrong
Wanneroo (Barbagallos) short track time 63 seconds (58 - Evo) long track 79 (69 - Evo)
Mods - Bosch 910 fuel pump, Nismo 555cc injectors, Z32 AFM, USB Bikirom, Full Whiteline Handling Kit, DBA Rotors, Tomei Poncams + GT2871. (174ahkw)

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
« Reply #24 on: Jun 1, 2006, 08:10PM »
If you wanna go better i contacted Koni at one point and they can do a set which is height adjustable, damper and camber adjustable for $2500-3000...but thats all custom made work.

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #25 on: Jun 1, 2006, 08:50PM »
Damn Phreeky thats some serious tyre flex.

only reason i was asking is cause the guys at the local performance shop were using D2's and say they are great for daily driving and occasional motorkhanas, but they aren't that great for racing and track days (which is understandable) was just wondering what else was on offer, I'm getting my suspension checked out soon anyway, could just be setup wrong

My cars in getting the suspension setup at the moment, ill be taking it to the track soon as possible ill let you know how it goes and as phreeky you don't have to have adjustable springs and struts to get a good setup you can just get springs with the hardness you want and shocks to match the springs.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if the performance shop guys would be rating them against tien and other top of the line jap brands that cost twice as much as D2's if not more and with there price tag of coarse there gonna be a lot better.

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
« Reply #26 on: Jun 1, 2006, 11:15PM »
I have JIC's in me ceffy 8k at the front and 6 at the rear and well i got sick of the hardness of them. So i am getting them fully overhauled with bilstein dampers, 6k and 4k(eibach) plus helper springs, recond sphericals (if needed) new bumb stops etc. There will only be a few items left that will be JICs. Should and i hope will be 10 times better than what i had. I think personally dont go the coilover route......if i could go back in time i would stop my self from buying the coilovers but yea .....just get a good spring and shock setup from whiteline or a company like that (if they make em for the u13). If will last longer and handle and feel much better and still be very good for the track aswell esp if you get some after market swaybars to go with it. Also do both at the same time. save up just dont do the springs.

and really u dont need adjustable dampening ...or really even height .........height can be usefull but you can spend too much time adjusting it to what you want but that may not make the car handle as well as you would like. Same goes with dampening if you dont know how to use it then ur better off not having it. Just save up and get some really good shock & spring combo etc

thats just my opinion from what i have experienced.

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #27 on: Jun 2, 2006, 03:15PM »
yeah the problem lies with whats available without custom work. i havent been in a car with coilies long enough to see how bad/good they can be. but for the u13 attesa, there isnt really much option. if anyone knows of any other brands that make them for the U13 please list them

Offline Marty

• post whore
« Reply #28 on: Jun 5, 2006, 01:51PM »
ok so k-sport, D2 and G4 are all the same,
Ive found out some of the US guys are using Tokico with H&R springs, havent found out weather or not the tokicos are better than the KYB's but I'll go and do some research.

Offline TRXACT

• antrx.com junior member
  • new kid on the block
« Reply #29 on: Jul 26, 2006, 10:44PM »
Do we have any further information on shock absorbers, apart from coil overs? I am in need of both front and rears, but with KYB out of the picture, pickings are slim.

Offline Marty

• post whore
« Reply #30 on: Aug 3, 2006, 07:51PM »
G-4's and ISC (from nissansilvia) dont make any for our car.