Author Topic: corsair issues  (Read 3122 times)

Offline vasgas

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
corsair issues
« on: Jun 9, 2010, 10:40PM »
My corsair auto 2 litre is having some problems. Seems to have a lowish idle and when the throttle is pressed the revs drop before building up, it sometimes stalls, even if the throttle is pressed gently. On takeoff the car stutters a little before going, sometimes stalls even with very little throttle applied. Nearly impossible to get it to takeoff with more than half throttle without some major stuttering/stalling. The stuttering also only occurs on takeoff and once in 2nd gear has no trouble. It is weird because roughly half the time the car runs perfectly (no stuttering, stalling). It could stutter heaps on the drive to work and yet on the drive home run beautifully. Leaving the car warm up makes absolutely no difference (it is sometimes worse after warming up).

Fuel consumption is terrible (around 15-20 litres/100km) with light driving not in traffic, rarely use full throttle. About 2 in every 3 tanks are Shell V Power. Oil Consumption is a little high and needs a big top up at least once every 5000km

I have replaced the fuel filter, had the injectors cleaned (was told they where clean anyway by the the guy did them), distributor cap, spark plugs + leads. The engine is untouched (no mods).

The car only has 48,000 kms on it, has been serviced at least once every 5000kms.

Me (and my mechanic) are stumped. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks ;D

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
Re: corsair issues
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2010, 12:28AM »
My first thought was limp home mode which may be caused by the MAF but I dont know that CA20 has the same limp home computer system the KA has...

I assume it is manual?  you've checked most of the things I would check.  maybe the O2 sensor or MAF?  Sorry dont know quite enough about the CA.

Offline vasgas

« Reply #2 on: Jun 10, 2010, 09:22PM »
It's an auto. Yea the o2 sensor is what i was next going to check, the car is also going to get plugged into the computer tomorrow to see if there is a problem with the ecu.

Thanks for reply anyway!

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2010, 01:02AM »
if its in limp mode, i had a faulty reverse light switch which cause this once and it took awhile to that it was the cause. other than that could it be the fuel pump on the way out?
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2010, 02:44PM »
That is high fuel consumption.

Check timing and tune (sounds like its running real rich).

Check fuel pressure as well, fuel regulator could be on way out.

Refer to this as well

http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php/board,93.0.html

Even though its for KA specific, will help you diagnose.

Download the FSM as well available here

http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php/topic,7177.0.html

There is a section for CA troubleshooting.  ;)
Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2010, 05:05PM »
Use some contact cleaner to clean the air flow meter.

You can't 'plug the computer in' to those ecus, they don't have any external diagnostics port. They do however have a 2-pin connector near the ECU, and when this is bridged and the ignition turned on it will flash any recorded error codes through the ECM light on the dash.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2010, 05:07PM »
Also the oxygen sensor won't cause the car to stall. I'd check the air flow meter before that.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline vasgas

« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2010, 08:51PM »
Thanks for all your suggestions.

I dont think its the fuel pump or limp home mode, the car works fine in any other gear than first, and will happily rev to redline (warm or cold) once its initial stuttering on takeoff has passed.

I will try to clean the afm and check out the ecu (behind the radio?) tomorrow night and will let you know.

Offline vasgas

« Reply #8 on: Jun 15, 2010, 10:18PM »
Okay, so I cleaned my afm contacts with the crc contact cleaner. Still choking. However once I bridged the ecu pins it threw up an afm low voltage code.

I'm going to order a new afm tomorrow and hopefully it will fix the problem.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 15, 2010, 10:23PM »
Try cleaning the hot wire (sensing element inside the tube) with contact cleaner.

They accumulate oil and dust over time.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline vasgas

« Reply #10 on: Jun 15, 2010, 11:27PM »
Yep just did that, waiting for it to dry and I'll take it for a spin and see if it made a difference.

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
« Reply #11 on: Jun 16, 2010, 01:09AM »
if it doesn't work and you are looking for a replacement , maybe go for an upgrade option......
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801

Offline vasgas

« Reply #12 on: Jun 16, 2010, 09:30PM »
Cleaning the afm made absolutely no difference whatsoever. In fact, it made it worse, the car stalled on takeoff. This morning, the car stuttered and choked past initial takeoff until about 35km/h (for the first time since it usually does it only on takeoff), releasing then pressing the throttle gently made it choke further almost to the point of stalling.

pedro666, what is the upgrade option? By the way, i ordered a new oem one today through my mech.
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2010, 07:16PM by vasgas »

Offline vasgas

« Reply #13 on: Jun 18, 2010, 10:21PM »
Ive replaced the afm and reset the ecu...seems to be going ok so far. Still stutters a tiny bit, and i saw a flash of the ecm light briefly but the car has yet to stall.

The thing is, ive checked out the ecu in diagnostic mode after replacing the afm and its still giving me an afm low voltage code (32)?

Ive also checked the timing and it seems right 5o btdc.

EDIT: Ive done 150km on half a tank of premium. lol.

« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2010, 01:45AM by vasgas »