Author Topic: new to this....  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Lurch

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
new to this....
« on: Jul 9, 2008, 11:40AM »
Hey all....
I was reading a forum, a very old one about nissan pintaras v pulsars etc...I had a good laugh. I have a 91 model t 2.4 stock as they come including the faded paint. I was going to get rid of it ,but....it runs on the sniff of an oily rag and goes pretty hard too. Secondly my son is aproaching first car stage and we were thinking of sprucing it up a little. I agree the K engines are pretty strong. What can we do to it to give it a bit more punch, not real interested in turbo...that can be the boys expense later on...just some info brand names aftermarket suppliers etc. Please bear in mind I am down under in Australia....
thank you people..........

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: new to this....
« Reply #1 on: Jul 9, 2008, 12:07PM »
Hey mate.  The CA20E or KA24E powered U12's are an excellent first car, good on fuel and generally unpopular which is a double edged sword :)

The KA24E's benefit nicely from intake/exhaust mods and an antrx chip.  Be wary of KA24E 'extractors' as they have been proven to be quite shitty!!  I believe the generally consensus was a 2.5 exhaust gave the most benefit, teamed with a decent muffler to keep noise down, or not ;)  Coupled with a 3" intake tract, smooth stainless or aluminum to a pod being fed COLD AIR not warm engine bay air.

All they really need at the lower end of the scale is to breathe better and then be tweaked when it comes to fuel/air mixtures.  Noss makes these chips and been perfecting them over many years.

Add a more aggressive camshaft and a chip tuned for it, you'll open up even more go.

eg: A mates U12 TRX, with a shitty 2.25 exhaust, extractors a pod, R4 antrx camshaft and antrx chip to suit made 88.1fwkw at a dyno day we held a while ago... where SR20DE powered N14 and N15 pulsars of varying levels of tune/work were making between 80fwkw and 92fwkw.  However, I doubt they were making anywhere near the torque that the KA24E truck motor was making @ 2000-3000rpm!
« Last Edit: Jul 9, 2008, 12:17PM by Budgie »
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #2 on: Jul 9, 2008, 12:22PM »
pulsars vs. pintaras i remember that :D

i think budgie has got the basic stuff covered here.. and really most people are happy with just the exhaust, intake and chip.

there arent any off the shelf performance suppliers as such for most things pintara related.. or for anything pintara related really.. its that good old aussie falcon & commodore mentality  ::)

if you get the exhaust done, i strongly recommend getting the flex done as well as the cat converter (i.e. all upgraded to 2.25" or 2.5") most exhaust shops will be happy to make you up an exhaust for a reasonable price, but the flex is generally pricey.. you can save some money by buying flex (brand new) off ebay or getting the flex and cat converter second hand of a crashed magna at a wrecker (the newer models are all 2.5")

my old pintara i had extractors installed and i must say i wasnt overly impressed with what i got for the money i paid.. my 2nd pintara i kept the standard manifold on it and it runs really well with the larger exhaust.. i'd argue that it has a bit more pep in it than the old one with extractors

oh and we're mostly aussies here too with a mix of americans and kiwis and a random guatemalan or south african for good measure :)

oh and welcome aboard!

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2008, 04:21PM »
pulsars vs. pintaras i remember that :D

Haha, yeah and you lost  :P

:D
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Lurch

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2008, 04:02PM »
Thanks for the info budgie....I bear it in mind. Probably start just after I get the 2 doors and rear quater fixed courtesy of some knucklehead in a bt50 ute today....reversing while talking on a mobile....apparently didn't realize he had hit some thing........and kept hitting it.....over 3 panels...popping 2 windows.........and for the big suprise.....the cops came and he blew .112...........what a fargin-eyeshole....his insurance most likely won't cover him he reckons....thats if he has any....... :-\
untill next time.......
bright side...half the paint job should be paid for..........

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2008, 07:03PM »
Welcome mate. Bad luck with the knucklehead  :(

Good thing is Pintara's are in absolute abundance at wreckers if it comes to that  ;)