Author Topic: So, I've decided on a Bluebird U13...  (Read 19644 times)

Offline BuuBox

• antrx.com junior member
Re: So, I've decided on a Bluebird U13...
« Reply #60 on: Aug 29, 2006, 12:03PM »
Took the timing chain guide off a few days ago. Very easy job, just time consuming. Took about 2 hours all up.
Very nice to hear no rattle anymore, but there's still a slight noise? Might change the top chain afterall (one day).
Water pump bearings on the pulley seem to be a little noisy, so I'd better add that to the list too. My new exhaust is running away...

I've gotten over the knackered gearbox, and it's getting fixed relatively soon. Yay.

Offline greenbird

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #61 on: Aug 29, 2006, 07:42PM »
Good work.
Glad to hear it all went well and the rattle has pretty much stopped.
Did you use the 518 as I suggested to seal up the timing cover? Silicon probably would be okay to do the job, but i have found that silicon will almost always break down and let a small amount of oil seep through after a few months of use.
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs

Offline BuuBox

« Reply #62 on: Aug 30, 2006, 01:19AM »
Yeah, used the 518 stuff based on your post! I'll come back and complain if it's leaking ;) Haven't even checked, whoops.

Installed some Kenwood 6x9's in the car today, bit of an improvement over the old ones! Tell you what though, back/neck are still recovering - really a two man job with having to take the seats out, or maybe I'm soft. Worked out in the end. Should have seen someone's wiring attempt to - that took a while to comprehend. Some people are creative... :)

What are the factory amps rated at? I ignored them, running strait off my Clarion head unit instead. Sub + real amp in the picture at some stage, if it stops costing me money elsewhere!

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #63 on: Aug 30, 2006, 08:03PM »
Most factory amps aren't as powerful as modern head units.

That Loctite 518 is good stuff too, my dad used it on auto gearboxes for years.

Oh and changing speakers is a one-man job... you're soft :P
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline BuuBox

« Reply #64 on: Aug 31, 2006, 08:49PM »
Ha! Yeah, probably soft... was fine when I was doing it, but damn neck was killing me when I was trying to sleep :) The stock 6x9's were funny, not much of 'em left at all. Have to pull off the door trims and do the front ones - anyone got a guide or something for that? Hoping some Jaycar 6.5" splits will fit.

The Kenwood 6x9's are a little cheap and cheerful I think (80~ JB specials) so I'll look into that too. Ratted 'em off my wrecked EB Fairmont, took 5 minutes to deinstall 'em (silly nissans). Speaking of which, anyone want a EB Fairmont in wonderful (hrm) condition, just had a dint and needs a VIV? taking up too much space in the garage.

Just realised I still haven't checked for engine leaks since the timing chain fix, so I might go check that... whoops! Can't be that bad.
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2006, 08:52PM by BuuBox »

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
« Reply #65 on: Aug 31, 2006, 10:06PM »
Yea you should be able to fit 6.5" in the doors (think thats what i got). Might even be able to fit them without custom making molds (which i did, but then again im a picky bum).

Yea the rear seat can be a bit of a bitch, especially the back rest part of it.

Offline Wolf In Sheep’s Clothing

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #66 on: Aug 31, 2006, 10:09PM »
you can fit 6.5's in the front door by cutting a bit of plastic off the speaker mount behind the doorskins, Although its alot better to make some new speaker mounts out of some MDF.
Written off HNU13 Atttesa, PM me for part requests.