Author Topic: CUSTOMIZE YOUR TRX - New Visual Ideas  (Read 10210 times)

Offline [TRX2NV]

• antrx.com full member
CUSTOMIZE YOUR TRX - New Visual Ideas
« on: Dec 1, 2005, 09:17PM »
Hey everyone,
I was thinking to myself today on the way to work (while in my mum's car, my baby is stuffed atm) of things to do to my car. I had a few good ideas which im not sure on legality but otherwise i reckon they would look hella good :)

1. Custom Foglights - First get two stickers made up of the TRX logo (like on the skirts). Clean the covers and apply the stickers. Then get a can of tint and spray them pretty dark!! I reckon they would look crazy but i wouldnt use them for street driving. I hate the foglights as is so what does everybody think?

2. Foglight Covers - The idea above originated off this one. I was planning to get a custom front bumper like a STI Rexy and have the round foglight covers with the TRX logo (skirt or boot?) in the middle. Since i thought of 'Tinting the TRX logo onto them'

3. Rear Parcel Shelp Stop Light - I work with a guy who is a whiz in electronics. He works for AMF (Bowling Centres, as do I). He has his own company on the side and i was going to get him to make a custom LED cluster in the plasic casing of the old one. I want it to say 'nismo' in coloured LED's. I think this would look great but i think it might be an idea to put in a switch so it doesn't switch on all the time, only when you want to show off!!!!!!!

I've got more ideas i'll post up later on.
When i finish with my TRX it's gonna be fully customised.
No so much for power but visually as it will be passed down to my girlfriend so i'm always striving for new ideas to make our U12 babys stand out above the rest. Let's try to keep this thread going for awhile and see what unique ideas that everyone can come up with. I was going to keep these ideas to myself but it would be nice to see more people put some time into their U12's and see some stunning head turners out there in the not too distant future.

Let me know any suggestions, comments, criticism whatever you want. Let's make our baby's stand out above the rest of the croud (not that they dont already!!  ;) )

.:James:.
« Last Edit: Dec 1, 2005, 09:19PM by [TRX2NV] »

Offline bigpud2012

• "I drive a pissweak auto"
  • post whore
    • RSI - Adelade Sports Imagery - Clipsal 500 Classic Adelaide etc
Re: CUSTOMIZE YOUR TRX - New Visual Ideas
« Reply #1 on: Dec 1, 2005, 10:31PM »
dont mind the nismo light idea !!! get a group buy happening some guys maybe interested

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #2 on: Dec 1, 2005, 10:43PM »
good to see that you're thinking of some different, plausible ideas, all of which could work.  the Nismo idea is good, bit ricey unless you have other nismo gear, but still good in principle

i think that the foglight covers are a very possible and probably very easy thing to do with fibreglass.  but wat i do have to say is that i don't think that it'll really make your car stand out from the pack as such.  it'll be different, but only marginally.

to really make it stand out, you need to have wat i like the call, the "WTF factor".  when you're driving by and someone sees your show stopper of a car, they say to themselves... "WTF?!!?!?!"  and i don't think that just foglight covers and a NISMO sign will really accomplish that..

heh... mind you i am using the benefit of hindsight.  i got a massive WTF (he actually mouthed it to me) from a fc3s rx7 driver when he was lookin at my front end
Project Siltara has been chipped, nismofied and getting exhausted

Offline bigpud2012

• "I drive a pissweak auto"
  • post whore
    • RSI - Adelade Sports Imagery - Clipsal 500 Classic Adelaide etc
« Reply #3 on: Dec 1, 2005, 11:06PM »
heh... mind you i am using the benefit of hindsight.  i got a massive WTF (he actually mouthed it to me) from a fc3s rx7 driver when he was lookin at my front end

yess you certinally deserve the WTF FACTOR!!! as its a crazy ass mod you have there!!!

i like it  ;)

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Dec 2, 2005, 07:00AM »
Meh, I don't like any of them...

umm best i can think of, slight modification of front bar, roll the guards, distinct respray, 18" wheels, and a sedate body kit change all round.. You don't need flashing lights in your facing saying nismo to be noticed, Most cars with mag wheels get a stare from me, most car fans probably do..

I just hate when people go doing all this "look at me and my nismo" to their cars lol..
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Jecks

• antrx.com pit crew
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
    • antrx.com
« Reply #5 on: Dec 2, 2005, 07:10AM »
i like the third brake light nismo idea, except i would prefer the TR.X logo...
I'm sick of my knob going all floppy and loose in my hand  :P 
I've been on probation for 21 years, can't make a decision without consulting the wife first  ::)

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
« Reply #6 on: Dec 2, 2005, 08:48AM »
And how much "nismo" stuff do you actually have on your car atm excluding radiator and oil caps? ::)

Its a bit like all the ralliart lancers tht you see driving around -IT LOOKS GAY.

The fog light ideas sound good, but like chris said, you really have to do something pretty major if you want the wow factor.

Chad
First a Silver TRX, then a White TRX...whats next? Game Boy-Clear style TRX?

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #7 on: Dec 2, 2005, 08:48AM »
agreed... TR.x would be better for the brake light

mmm... chris... you're making me think too much!  cos now i've got 3 words for you

Wide Body Siltara...

TRX2NV, maybe you should consider doing something big if you want to make your trx stand out.  i'm thinking like the first VIP standard TRX.  so like a custom massive widebody kit, Front end conversion which involves a huge billet grille, bigass duel exhaust, massive dish chrome rims etc etc 

I'm a big fan of customising everything to make it your own, but i think you may need to realise that the level of customisation you want to be working at for stand out level needs to be outrageous.  while doing lots of little things is great, chris is still right, people will notice the larger things first, and then all your smaller accessories will stand out when people look more closely, which is kind of like the icing on the cake.

here's another idea tho.  TRX rally car.  do an Evo or Wrx style front end, with a sportyish grill and big round foggies, racing rims, functional bodykit with a spoiler change, with a subtle but standoutish paintjob (ie no airbrushing, but maybe some nice *small* Nissan decals/vinyls on quarter panels).  then you can still incorporate your TRx foglight covers and foglight conversion.

hell, go all out and actually make the trx a rally car.  awd running gear, sr20det, multipoint roll cage. 
« Last Edit: Dec 2, 2005, 09:05AM by Project Siltara »

Offline [TRX2NV]

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #8 on: Dec 2, 2005, 09:49AM »
Thats fair enough guys i don't think you understand what i'm trying to do here
I'm sure everybody can think of heaps to do to the body to make it stand out.
I'm getting a few things done with the body especially to the front end. Now with
that out the way i wanna do extra small things just to make it stand out that little
bit more. How many TR.X owner's go to that much trouble anyways? You see some
nice ones now and then but most are just kept with a straight body and rims.
This would be a good starting point to start doing a few little extra things to
stand out from the crowd. That's my view, just so that everybody knows.

Now for the TR.X logo in the stop light. Brilliant! It works for me :)
However the electronics guy, Graeme, wont be able to help till after new years
so i will get one made up myself and post up pics for everone

Offline [TRX2NV]

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #9 on: Dec 2, 2005, 09:58AM »
Project Siltara:
I once wanted to go down that road of building the TR.X like that...a rally car...
Then one day I woke and realized it was a dream...
I wanted the sr20det awd setup but first i would need a u12 attesa drivetrain....
and a sr20det manual conversion as well.
Thats gonna cost a bit more than i can afford at the moment so this car is
going to my mrs in a few years anyways so i'm gonna work on it for the time I have it.

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #10 on: Dec 2, 2005, 10:16AM »
everything starts with a dream.  the pioneers are the ones who follow them.. :)

i'm just a little confused at the moment.  what kind of body mods do you have planned?  and what is it that you're trying to achieve?  maybe give us an idea of where you want to head with your car (bearing in mind that it is going to your gf), and we might be able to help you out more.  because it sounds like you want to do heaps, but at the same time you're holding back.

the problem with exterior modification is that you need to either not do it at all, or 100%.  going half assed is like putting on a custom front bumper, without doing the skirts or rear.  it just looks awkward.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #11 on: Dec 2, 2005, 10:16AM »
why do you want an SR20 for? Just because they are JDM tyte, yo?

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #12 on: Dec 2, 2005, 10:18AM »
alrite, my bad as well for bringing up a performance statement in the style department.  lets not turn this thread into an sr20 vs ka24 debate, because we're here for the visual upgrades

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
  • self confessed antrx cycling nut
« Reply #13 on: Dec 2, 2005, 10:19AM »
....How many TR.X owner's go to that much trouble anyways? You see some
nice ones now and then but most are just kept with a straight body and rims.
This would be a good starting point to start doing a few little extra things to
stand out from the crowd. That's my view, just so that everybody knows....

TReX has meshed up his grill and made a "TR.X" logo that hes stuck on the bottom half. it looks schmicko, but is quite subtle and u only notice it if ur closely scanning the front end. (wouldn't mind one tho  :P )

most ppl don't hav the time to fabricate "this and that" to make their TRX stand out. IMO, rekon TRX's stand out anyways with just its factory bodykit! but personal touches are what make the car truely yours. also, $$$$ is a problem, coupled with tryin to make a livin and what not.... many ppls here are only students and i know what's that llike in the financial department!

Not to rain on ur parade, but there are implications to wanting ur TRX (or whatever u got) stand out. hell, i'll bet my life that EVERYONE here wants to make their broom-broom unique and funky! i know i do! but just don't have the minerals to do it, ie: time and $$$$

i don't really wanna rant on here, but u kinda get the idea at what im gettin at....

anywho, there are some good ideas that u got goin here, hopefully we'll be able to see the outcomes soon! good luck man!
If somebody asks you, "can I ask you a question?" and you say, "no",  you're actually answering a question. Think about it....

Offline Jecks

• antrx.com pit crew
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
    • antrx.com
« Reply #14 on: Dec 2, 2005, 10:21AM »
why do you want an SR20 for? Just because they are JDM tyte, yo?
ahahahaa... adam always manages to stir shit about about the KA24 vs SR20 debate...
although if i had a choice between an SR20DET and a KA24ET or KA24DET, i'd choose the KA...
I'm sick of my knob going all floppy and loose in my hand  :P 
I've been on probation for 21 years, can't make a decision without consulting the wife first  ::)

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #15 on: Dec 2, 2005, 10:26AM »
alrite, my bad as well for bringing up a performance statement in the style department.  lets not turn this thread into an sr20 vs ka24 debate, because we're here for the visual upgrades

sorry siltara, that was directed at trx2nv, not yourself.
SR20 just seems to be a buzzword amongst young kids these days.

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #16 on: Dec 2, 2005, 10:33AM »
haha, nah mate, you're rite... i provoked it a little so i'm to take partial blame too.

but yeah, i agree it is a buzzword, and even i've fallen into the trap.  but i must admit, your sig changes my ideas a lot, and when the ka24e-t becomes a plausible option (in that i don't have to fabricate the manifold myself, or pay someone heaps to design and make one), i'm definately going to take that option.  stay true to the ka

but trxjon is right, its all about resources.  pimpin out your trx is always good in theory, and you can plan and consider till the cows come home, but the practicality is much harder.

and as much as i don't want to toot my own horn (actually, i do a little), the cows did come home for me. 

http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php?topic=9176.0

trx2nv.  i love a good challenge, and if you've got the innovative ideas behind you, i'd love to lay down the gauntlet to you.  by having people to compete against is good inspiration to get your plans complete.  so step up to the plate and show me watcha got! :P

(don't take that personally/offensive man, i'm just still a bit riled up over your comment about people not putting in the effort)
« Last Edit: Dec 2, 2005, 10:43AM by Project Siltara »

Offline [TRX2NV]

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #17 on: Dec 2, 2005, 12:41PM »
SSS:
Why the SR20?
OK, well, at the start I had crazy ideas about the KA24ET. This would be good but
I don't feel the engine would be responsive enough with a 11:1 compression ratio on
a turbo setup and also costly. Then I thought of keeping the KA tradition with a KA24DET.
First I will need the engine then I need to turbo it, even more costly but it would be
a better choice with a lower compression ratio. Then I thought to myself if i'm prepared
to go that far y not just go all the way with an RB25 4wd/rwd conversion and making a hybrid
Skyline-Pintara. I even had cool plates for it [U12-GTR] or even [TRX-GTR]. I would have had
fun fitting everything in the engine bay, none-the-less, i don't have that sort of money
and unless i get RB25 donated will never be a realistic option so where does that leave me?
With 2 more choices, the RB20 and the SR20. These engines are pretty close performance
wise. I think the RB20 probably has a little bit more potential but it would cost too much again,
driveline, gearbox etc. The only 'realistic' option for me would be the SR20 since its the
easiest and least cost effective option and i believe that you will get more bang for your buck.
Since I think the car is gonna end up with my gf in a few years time (I only think coz I think
at the current time it would be hard to part with and thinking that in the future after i've spent
all my money personalizing my baby i don't think i'll be able to part) i don't plan on doing any
major engine work at the moment but do plan atleast getting a DE head bolted on my E block.
The more and more I do to it the more i want to do so i have a feeling you will see an SR20DET
in my baby in the future and hopefully an attesa driveline too. :)

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #18 on: Dec 2, 2005, 12:44PM »
lets not turn this thread into an sr20 vs ka24 debate

Indeed, we all know what the better engine is so why argue about it? ;D

Offline [TRX2NV]

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #19 on: Dec 2, 2005, 01:16PM »
I'm not arguing. I was justifying my point how i came to that conclusion since the word 'SR20' seems to generate too much interest. It's a buzz word like SSS says but i was just letting him know that i'm not just a 'bandwagoner' and that that particular engine would be the best and cheapest option for me, but this thread wasnt meant for performance talk as you can see its clearly in the visual topic.

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #20 on: Dec 2, 2005, 01:24PM »
i suppose we could argue that having an sr20 has become a fashion accessory...:)

but we won't... start another argument thread in performance.

so to get back on topic, as stated above, trx2nv, what are the bigger mods you have planned?

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 2, 2005, 06:20PM »
Then I thought to myself if i'm prepared to go that far y not just go all the way with an RB25 4wd/rwd conversion and making a hybrid Skyline-Pintara. I even had cool plates for it [U12-GTR] or even [TRX-GTR]. I would have had fun fitting everything in the engine bay, none-the-less, i don't have that sort of money and unless i get RB25 donated will never be a realistic option so where does that leave me?

I'd be more concerned with engineering costs than the cost of the parts if you want to put an RB in it. Do yourself a favour and before you make a final decision on an engine, have a nice long chat with someone who knows their stuff.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline [TRX2NV]

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #22 on: Dec 2, 2005, 07:00PM »
Jono:

When I was referring to costs of engines i was referring to total cost dropped in / all alterations that need to be done to accomodate not just the engine itself. Don't get me wrong I would love an RB25DET powered U12. Who wouldn't? As I stated before it's only a dream, and never a realistic option and since I like to be individual that would be the first conversion that i heard about. Whats wrong with dreaming anyways if people didnt then nobody would do anything different which would make for a boring world.
I know how much it costs mate and i know it would be a huge custom job. If i had the money to throw around no worries i would get the whole drivetrain/engine at the same time. Anywayz how remote is that idea since where the fuck am i going to pick up a rwd drivetrain that fits a U12? I would need a custom built one so fuck that idea off all together. You see how it wasnt even an option from the start you must have just taken it the wrong way.

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
« Reply #23 on: Dec 2, 2005, 07:16PM »
oh why bother with a teeny weeny 2.5L when you can go the whole hog and shove a VQ30 in the front of a U12 like a member has SUPPOSEDLY DONE from here. Personally I think we should all ditch the ka24 and chuck a Q45 8 into it, obviously we will have to move the stut tops outwards about 30cm but wouldn't that give some toque steer!!

What is your facination with RWD RB engines mate? Not to rain on your parade but you do realise you have a fwd car there.
First a Silver TRX, then a White TRX...whats next? Game Boy-Clear style TRX?

Offline [TRX2NV]

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #24 on: Dec 2, 2005, 07:28PM »
Chad:

Why does everybody take me the wrong way here? I never said I had any intentions of going through with it. I just reckon if I had a spare 30k+ i would mechanically transform my TR.X into a skyline. I realise how much fuck around it would actually be i just think it would be pretty sweeeet seeing this concept go ahead.

To everyone who needs a lesson in grammar or just need's to read more carefully!!:
I NEVER HAD ANY INTENTIONS WITH THE RB25DET 4WD/RWD CONVERSION IN THE FIRST PLACE I WAS JUST POINTING OUT IT WOULD BE COOL TO ACTUALLY SEE (Not to mention $$$$Expensive$$$$)
It's just because there is nothing like this out there it would be totally unique!!

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #25 on: Dec 2, 2005, 08:43PM »
so wait....? you're NOT putting an rb25det in there...?   :P jk man, alrite, attention everyone!

I apologize for bringing up non visual related shit in this thread!

if any moderator could please clean this train wreck up, that would be great.  I'm all about the visual mods, and i would love to steer the direction of this thread back onto the exterior
sorry again!

Offline [TRX2NV]

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #26 on: Dec 2, 2005, 09:04PM »
Don't say sorry Siltara your absolutely right after all look at the topic!!

Now that everybody has gotten over the rb25-misinterpretation incident let's move foreward but VISUAL STUFF ONLY!!

Offline FLOGTARA

• 300ZX FANATIC
  • post whore
  • Your mother's got a wooden leg with a kickstand!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 3, 2005, 12:00AM »
i like the third brake light nismo idea, except i would prefer the TR.X logo...

Good call, that wud be awesome!!1!
1990 Z32 2 Seater N/A 5spd
Mods, modified cats, cat back exhaust, HKS air filter, cyn-r-g lightened flywheel, aluminium underdrive pulley, Super HD clutch.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #28 on: Dec 3, 2005, 09:35AM »
Why does everybody take me the wrong way here? I never said I had any intentions of going through with it. I just reckon if I had a spare 30k+ i would mechanically transform my TR.X into a skyline.

lol.. dude buy a skyline please...if i had a spare 30k i'd buy a house.

But, like stu said, if you arn't going to go in 100% don't go in at all otherwise it'll turn out crap..

Just like grabbing wood.. you grab it hard, otherwise you get cut  ;)
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline VladIvanovic

• antrx.com junkie
    • My Company/Personal Website
« Reply #29 on: Dec 3, 2005, 01:16PM »
lol.. dude buy a skyline please...if i had a spare 30k i'd buy a house.

But, like stu said, if you arn't going to go in 100% don't go in at all otherwise it'll turn out crap..

Just like grabbing wood.. you grab it hard, otherwise you get cut  ;)

if you actually had a spare 30k you would probably own a fully paid off house! :P

and yeah chris is definetely right about all or nothing, but yeah It'll be great to see how this LED Light display turns out I definetely like the idea!

P.S. I know this sounds really ricey... and its probably illegal... but what if you could set it to be like those flashing ones, eg it flashes to a sound sensor, say when you get some major sound happening from your speaker setup (if you have anything in the rear shelf).