Author Topic: Caring 4 Ur Body kit, How to do it right? (Project Started Thread Edited)  (Read 3928 times)

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
I pulled my body kit completly off (sept the back bar) a few weeks ago for some resteration. After i finaly got my paint earlyer this week i started sanding it down and repainting it (sept the back bar)

Before pics:
Front:

What i have done:

Completly removed the front and sides.
Reshaped the edges back to what they orginaly looked like.
Sanded them back with my dads new mouse sander.
Washed them, cleaned them then went over them in metho to remove oil.
Painted with the red car paint (Impact red) which noss told me about in a diff thread and put them back on.

I have today finaly removed the rear bar. The reason i couldnt before is because some1 decided to use 2 big screws that wernt original to put the back kit back on. They put nuts on the top of the screws. (so they got a big philps head screw and a nut and used that insted of the original bolt). These now were rusted together and near imposible to remove without damaging the kit. So i grinded them back. They melted the plastic enough for them to squese threw and i got the rear bar off.

What i still need to do:
Repainting the rear sides and the rear bar.
putying the front up  up where the front right and left bars do not meet the front.
Putting the Rear Bar back on.

Pics so far:

Will update again when i finish the project!
« Last Edit: Sep 2, 2005, 06:17PM by ashman01 »

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
Re: Caring for Your Body kit, How to do it right?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 2, 2005, 08:21PM »
the studs that hold it on have probably broken in alot of places. you can try get them fibreglassed back on or do your best at disguisng a screw on the outside of the kit and screw it back on. every attempt i've made at gluing the kit on have failed because only the top edge of the skirt touches the bumper, not enought surface area to get a decent hold.

edit - woo! 1000 posts!  ;D

Offline KeGs

• Nissan addict
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Aug 2, 2005, 08:38PM »
The kit doesnt look to bad to me could be just the photos. My back lip is pretty simliar to urs :( as for the paint you can take the kit off and repaint it. Im pretty sure Super Cheap have the red gloss paint in a can i know this thanx to noss's thread about it haha. If the back lip is really loose try to do what Pinsair has done and suggested there is another option also' you could get another fresh or second hand back lip :P???.
u12 sr20

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #3 on: Aug 2, 2005, 09:23PM »
I think i might be able to bend it back into place when i finaly take the back off. But the main question is will sanding it back and respreying it make it look good? I'll putty it aswell and clamp it back into shape then redo all the rusty screws with new 1's and remove the glue. As u can see from that pic the chick who had it b4 me made an attempt to glue it aswell but failed.

Oh and the pics make it look better cuz the cam was setup for wide screen and wmm put it into square. And yes i do plan on getting a better muffler soon.

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Aug 2, 2005, 09:44PM »
well it depends if you do a good job on the paint job or not...

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #5 on: Aug 2, 2005, 09:54PM »
ok, And what do u guys think about the TRX indents in the side skirts about spreying them with white paint?

A friend said it would look good but what do u guys think?

Offline KeGs

• Nissan addict
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Aug 2, 2005, 10:22PM »
ok, And what do u guys think about the TRX indents in the side skirts about spreying them with white paint?

Dunno man :-\ its really up to you i think it would look ok but then others may think it would just look ricey and gay its up to you. The lettering would certainly stand out:P
u12 sr20

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 2, 2005, 10:47PM »
At the cruise on sunday the white TRX had the indented "TR.X" painted black. I thought it looked tacky but each to their own.

Do you know how to use Photoshop?
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #8 on: Aug 3, 2005, 08:22AM »
Not well.

I never really got into images, i wish i had tho.

And yeah it would stand out.

And 1 last question

How are the TRX side thingys attached to the door? Do i have to take the door panel off and unscrew the screws from there?

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 3, 2005, 12:28PM »
I believe they're glued on.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline BoGAn

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #10 on: Aug 5, 2005, 04:07AM »
the side pods are attached by two clips, and adhesive around the edges. If its still the same adhesive form the factory, it may well be pretty easy to get off. One of mine fell of or was pinched. i got another one and arayldited it to the door. Ain't no way thats ever coming off.

As for the white TR.X logo, it would look tacky imo

Your car has 15 some-odd years worth of sun damage. It is damn near impossible to match the colour of new paint to it, especially when its red. It will be noticably different. That being said, I personally wouldnt worry about it. A good cut and polish may also help.

You may want to try your hand at fibreglassing broken pieces. bunnings have useful mini-kits for small jobs, i believe they also have some handy tips and hints in it too. if you're interested in that kind of thing, this is a good opportunity to practise as it doesn't really matter if its not perfect.

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #11 on: Aug 5, 2005, 08:21AM »
I used car putty. put it on and then spreyed it. But stupid me forgot to put an undercoat on it and used up 1 can of car paint and its going to have to be respreyed again.

Oh well will look good once finished. ANd as my mum said, it doesnt matter if its not exactly the same colour cuz with all the fadding it wont be. Just make sure its the same colour all the way round to give a 2 toned red effect which might look good. Well will see. Will post pics within the next 1-2days.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 8, 2005, 02:42PM »
That'll only add one more colour to your current 4 won't it? :P
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #13 on: Aug 23, 2005, 05:05PM »
personally I'd remove that sticking-out exhaust tip as well :)
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
  • self confessed antrx cycling nut
« Reply #14 on: Aug 23, 2005, 05:42PM »
personally I'd remove that sticking-out exhaust tip as well :)

yeah i concur!

either get a new shiny tip or go all balls and get a sports zorst, or (dare i say) cannon....  ???
If somebody asks you, "can I ask you a question?" and you say, "no",  you're actually answering a question. Think about it....

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #15 on: Aug 23, 2005, 09:40PM »
That'll only add one more colour to your current 4 won't it? :P

Yeah, hopefully it will be the same red as 1 of the other 4 but i doubt it. So soon i will have 5 reds (if autobarn f*cking hurry up with my paint, its been 2 weeks now.)

And at the muffler - yeah its how it was when i bought it. I dont no why anyone in there right mind would opt to put anything that ugly on the end of a pretty good exhaust system but they did. Might buy a small cannon off ebay and get my mechanic to put it on.

Well guys the body kit is still in the garage and the car looks like a fake trx because of it. Had a guy in a corsair come up to me the other day and say hey mate, wheres ur body kit. I said its at home to be repainted, And he said oh so where did u buy the kit from, and i said its a TRX it came with it.

He thought i had a T or a TI with a trx kit. the shame

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
started and edited first post!

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #17 on: Sep 4, 2005, 08:24PM »

I would possibly suggest that if you painted the triangle bit on which the logo is imprinted in a matt finish red, and then painted the TRX logo in a gloss finish, that might be quite a nice contrast, assuming the body of the car still has a gloss finish.
Doo-woop-shoobie-doo-waah

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
That could look good.

I didnt paint that triangle yet and yes my car has a glossy finish still but it was very dirty when i took those pics.

Offline nickstrx

• antrx.com junior member
  • new kid on the block
does anybody know where to get a U12 trx body kit, just in case of an accident or something? and what price roughly would it cost?
thanks

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
Wreckers and ebay are the only option, they usually sell for $(too much) x 2
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
If you were to get a cheap one ie ebay or here you would be looking at roughly:

$250 front bar
$200 sideskirts
$200 rear bar
First a Silver TRX, then a White TRX...whats next? Game Boy-Clear style TRX?