Author Topic: Air and Filtering it.  (Read 3423 times)

Offline 91CA20

• look at my e-penis
  • antrx.com senior member
Air and Filtering it.
« on: Mar 15, 2005, 01:35PM »
G'day, well before i put the pod filter onto my car using an adaptor bracket, last night i thought i would try some experimentation.

I unbolted the air filter box and took out the filter (which i replaced on the weekend) and then left it as is and slightly to the side and not put back together if you get my drift. Well the air was a little chilly last night but what i noticed was when taking off a definate improvement in responsiveness and acceleration but it only seems to occur when the accelerator is over about 1/3.

The other thing to notice is the new sounds new engine is making since breathing in nice clean/cold air without restriction. I must admit that it sounds deadset like a Subaru boxer engine in it's hollow throaty growl and the roar of the exhaust when going full noise. The OTHER noise however which i was not prepared for was a higher pitched hissing noise emanating from somewhere around the airbox, maybe even up inside the tube where the "air mass meter/air flow meter is. Does anyone know why this is happening or if it will stop when i eventually get around to installing my new cai/pod filter?

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re: Air and Filtering it.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2005, 01:41PM »
the noise i think you are describing is due to using a cheap air filter. budgie had the same noise on his ca20.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline 91CA20

• look at my e-penis
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2005, 01:45PM »
There isn't any air filter on it.
I have just noticed that the noise is there when there is no air filter on the airbox and when the airbox is completely unbolted from the stock 'intake' tubing on the corsair. When i bolt the airbox back together with the filter in, i dont get the noise because it is smothered by putting it back together but as i say, at the moment i have been driving it with no filter and the airbox unbolted and seperated from the intake tubing. The new filter i bought wasn't cheap in comparison to some, but thaving said that it's just a stock standard Ryco one which is obviously new and not covered in 1 inch of grime like the other one i will use until i have the time to install this pod.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2005, 01:53PM »
My car hissed with the pod and with the stock airbox and filter (which I put back on before I sold it to pass RWC).

Something was leaking somewhere, but the CA20E was shit so I didn't bother fixing it!
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline 91CA20

• look at my e-penis
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2005, 02:00PM »
So you reckon it's some sort of leak from up near the ass mass/flow meter leaking? I dunno eh because it only hisses when the airbox is unbolted and the filter isnt in there. Anyway i'm happy with the slight performance gain i got from the experiment and i'll go ahead with the CAI system when i get the chance

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2005, 02:07PM »
If it was a noticeable leak after the maf, the car would barely idle.

Offline 91CA20

• look at my e-penis
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2005, 02:08PM »
Idle seems to be fine. I'll try again to pinpoint the exact location of the hissing but yeh it seems ok to me.

When you change the air/fuel ratio, does the computer inside the car automatically adjust to suit that? I seem to be getting marginally better fuel economy now that it's off

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2005, 02:29PM »
ah ok, sorry, i thought you meant something similar to budgie's problem.

do you mean more of a whistle at high rpms? if that is the case its making that noise cause the engine is sucking a lot of air. most cars will do it. the reason it doesnt make the noise when the stock intake is in place is because the stock intake is designed to reduce noises like the one you describe.

Offline Asephx

« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2005, 02:32PM »
yeah my K&N Xstream has the same hissing sound when i accel more than usual... never bothered to check for a leak, always thought it was just air being sucked in

Offline 91CA20

• look at my e-penis
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2005, 02:35PM »
Mine does it just as much at idle as at full noise. It's actually less audible at full acceleration because of te noise of the exhaust now :P

I'll have one of the boys from brisbane have a listen and see what they think but it's of high importance, it's jus a little annoying at times ;)

Seems to be coming from the little filter section right behind the airbox on it's way into the throttle body too btw, just tried it again

I understand exactly the noise you are referring to as the induction noise being sucked up. It's different to this particular one however. It sounds pretty good to be roaring through hilly roads on a coldish night with it happening ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2005, 02:37PM by 91CA20 »

Offline chucky

• CRUISE MONKEY
  • post whore
  • WHERES MY STICKER?
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2005, 04:49PM »
left it as is and slightly to the side and not put back together if you get my drift. Well the air was a little chilly last night

thats whats making the hissing sound, put your air filter on you bananna.

SSS: try driving with half your cooler piping done (only on the turbo side) and nothing on the tb side... the way black smoke was pouring outa the zorst & the choking!!!.... pwoahhhhh lol

What do ralliart do??? make stickers???

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2005, 12:28AM »
Do you find the hissing fades off when you turn your engine off? I mean it doesn't stop immediately, it fades to a stop over about 1/2 a second.

I always thought it was the engine sucking air past the closed throttle.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline 91CA20

• look at my e-penis
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2005, 10:02AM »
Actually yes mate i do. It does it each rotation of the engine and seems to stop half a second after i turn the ignition because its got one rotation left in it or thereaboutsd\

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2005, 10:24AM »
ok, sounds like i was right as this sounds like budgie's shit filter sound, i guess the noise happens when there is no filter too.. there isnt any way to stop it anyway, its just because the intake it opened up.

Offline 91CA20

• look at my e-penis
« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2005, 10:53AM »
Ona nother note, theres a modded trx for sale bout 20 minutes drive from here :D think im gonna go have a look at it.

It's a white 1992 trx 5spd man, aircon, lukey exhaust, looks like it's had a good stereo in it (wiring everywhere and pod mounts for tweeters), "upgraded engine" - yet to see exactly what that means but it's the KA24E, pod filter, lowered with good aftermarket suspension. But the thing is, he's not a member of antrx i dont think?

His name is Ben apparently.

Let you all know how it goes

Offline ehh

• usefull idiot
« Reply #15 on: Apr 3, 2005, 12:50AM »
just thought i'd add my two cents on this one......

i know a lot of people in the drag racing scene don't use filters ever(particularly in japan)....but unless your planning on rebuilding your engine i suggest you put it back on asap.....it's amazing how much damage tiny parts a dust(silicone dust)can do, by that i mean microscopic......and when you consider that australia is the dustiest continent on earth(i hope your not in south east queensland....we have it particularly bad due to the sand islands just off the coast).....well you get the point

you may not realise but some of the smaller particles are actualy worse then larger ones...because they're small enough to get in between bearing surfaces and as it rotates it creates a patch where there's no oil getting through...only the particle rubbing directly against the two surfaces....this can very quikly wear away bearings......

endounadably old chap

meh

Offline 91CA20

• look at my e-penis
« Reply #16 on: Apr 3, 2005, 08:16AM »
Okay you scared me mate. :P Anyways i have been using a high flow filter on the corsair since last month so no need to fret. When it gets driven that is hmm.

Offline ehh

• usefull idiot
« Reply #17 on: Apr 4, 2005, 05:24PM »
good to here ;)

endounadably old chap

meh