Author Topic: Wideband o2 sensors.  (Read 10357 times)

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re: Wideband o2 sensors.
« Reply #30 on: Aug 20, 2014, 02:39PM »
i'm also using PLX, but a lot of the aftermarket tuning solutions use Innovate. I chose PLX simply because I liked the gauges better.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
    • http://www.tldr.com.au
« Reply #31 on: Aug 20, 2014, 04:13PM »
I'm running a Techedge WBo2 setup, works great. Sensor just before cat (Approx 1 metre back from turbo as recommended), Bosch LSU-4.2 sensor with a 2C0B Controller and LA1 gauge display.

The whole setup runs independantly, the controller takes the wideband input, generates an emulated narrowband signal (0-1v for Nissan but it is completely configurable via laptop) which feeds into the ECU, the stock o2 sensor is simply disconnected and is now just an expensive plug (it was dead anyways :))

Compatible with Nissan Datascan for monitoring and logging too

Made this video when I installed it to compare o2 readings, stock (but as said, faulty) versus wideband.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAy29EX3F1c[/youtube]

(To skip driving, jump to 6min and 11min)

The techedge can output wideband signals as well so I imagine it would work well with aftermarket ECU's etc. And again, the outputs can be completely configured.

Though it's an old thread I note the OP's question which I don't think was ever properly answered, the O2 sensor has more wires for more things, such as heater control, temperature monitoring etc. The controller monitors and adjusts temperature (probably amongst other things) so it works optimally, as well as reading multiple signals to determine the actual o2 value. Such an accurate sensor is obviously more sophisticated hence requiring particular parameters to be true, and thus more electronics to drive it. Being a completely different sensor, and working differently, means you simply can't plug it in where an ECU is expecting a narrowband sensor, they're incompatible and it won't work.

Placement of the sensor can be important too, too close to the engine will make the sensor run too hot, too far can be too cold (meaning it sucks more power to stay hot) and result in laggier readings. Even where the sensor itself is installed can vary, most cars with narrowbands are as close to the engine as possible, immediately where all the exhaust ports collect, or immediately after the turbo (some engines like V6's may have multiple sensors), as close to the engine as possible. Such sensor placement may not be appropriate for a wideband and actually damage the unit, shorten their lifespan or deliver inaccurate readings. Again, more sophisticated = more fragile and sensitive a sensor.

Not that it matters posting this but whatever
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2014, 04:57PM by Rake »

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #32 on: Aug 20, 2014, 07:38PM »
I currently have a Tech Edge 2b0 with an LD02 display (which half the led segments are dead...), reason I asked about the MTX-L is that I kind of still plan on dumping the Tech Edge to the back of the cupboard for the MTX-L; I've only ever had problems with the NBsim output, never used the inputs or datalogging....and now, because racecar, still don't need them (will be doing it all through the new ecu eventually).

Cannot be fucked paying $140 for a new Tech Edge display when I can get the MTX-L shipped for $195....and they use the same 7057 bosch sensor.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #33 on: Aug 21, 2014, 08:17AM »
That's another reason I moved to using the PLX from Tech Edge. I wanted a nice little gauge that could sit in my car and their gauges are obscenely expensive. PLX had a special on, the sensor in my Mini had died and it was actually cheaper to buy the whole PLX kit than it was to buy the OEM/aftermarket Mini sensor.

I think old mate that writes datascan has updated the software to work with the PLX narrowband simulation output as well, you have Kranzy to thank for that one.

Also, sweet post Mr. Rake.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline crazy2287

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #34 on: Sep 21, 2014, 08:57PM »
I'm using an older version of the Innovate gear (LC1 from memory) and have a recommended them to a few friends inc the model you listed, All have had no issues. Very versatile and reliable.
I drive like i screw..... illegally =D... wait O.o WHAT?? O.O

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
« Reply #35 on: Oct 8, 2014, 02:30AM »
plx have new Gen4 kit with Bosch lsu-4.9 sensors with a stack of awesome features. I have the gen 2, withe the comonly uses lsu 4.2 and am thinking about the change.
http://www.plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=WDBDSMAFR_DM6G4
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801