Author Topic: CAI again  (Read 3374 times)

Offline jimsair

• antrx.com junior member
  • Got rice?
CAI again
« on: Mar 19, 2003, 01:14PM »
I have a ca20e is there any benefit in removing the bit of plastic pipe off the airbox to behind the left headlight, it looks kinda restrictive and the hole off the airbox looks bigger. id' take it off to test but i don't think i can get it out without breaking it.

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
Re:CAI again
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2003, 02:21PM »
nothing i noticed ...i only did it cause i am eventually building a whole new cai ....which i meant to do acouple of weeks ago when i took it off ...but didn't ....ran out of time ...(writing thesis) so it waill have to wait.

it actually may decrease power gains because ur sucking in more hotter engine bay heat.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2003, 02:21PM »
if you want to keep the airbox, remove this snorkel bit you're talking about, and then get some piping (flexible plastic piping is fine) and run it from the air box to somewhere outside the engine bay. like in the gaurd. there is a nice big hole in the car already if you want to do that. i dont know if that method provides any increase in power or not. but it certainly cant hurt. it is how i ran my airbox before i installed my pod.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline jimsair

• Got rice?
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2003, 02:46PM »
I used to have a sigma and they had a really good factory CAI believe it or not, there was a smaller grille in the front of the engine bay and 3" piping ran from that back to the airbox, not much of a bend in it either. i don't like this nissan setup its jammed right in behind the battery. oh well, just gotta work with it. might just toss it all and go for a pod, i didnt really want to though cos of the legal issues.

Offline jimsair

• Got rice?
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2003, 02:50PM »
oh and btw. the snorkel opening is at the back of the headlight. wouldnt that create heat when they are on?

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2003, 06:51PM »
legal issues, anyone know exactly wat they are?? i heard its something like the pod has to be completely covered all the way to the actual intake??

anyone?  ???

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2003, 07:07PM »
i think if its in a box then it is ok.....which is better any way if ur going to keep it in the engine bay and then have a cai and ram effect to it ......

a pod in the engine bay is found to be worse or neutral to original stock air intake ....cause its just sucking in hot air

Offline jimsair

• Got rice?
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2003, 09:02PM »
Well I removed the "snorkel" from the airbox and tested it out on the way over to uni this afternoon. it actually seemed a bit more lively and sounded different, i guess the plastic tubing muffled the induction noise a bit . though i can't say for sure if it improved anything but it was certainly no worse. i'm not an expert on CAIs  ::)

i'd assume its not breathing any more warm air because the opening is on the side of the airbox away from the engine. it'd be cool to see what this "mod"(if it qualifies as one) and a drop in k&n filter would do on a dyno, i wouldnt be surprised if it was better than a pod in place of the airbox in the engine bay.

again, i'm no expert on cai, just throwing an opinion out there.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2003, 09:59PM »
a pod in the engine bay is better than an airbox. nizgirl got her ca20e pintara dyno'd immediately before & after the installation of her pod, and she got a 3 or 4kw gain.

when you are driving, a vacuum affect takes place under the car, sucking air from the engine bay (hot air included) so its probably not so bad.

unless you had extreme temperatures under the bonnet, the pod is better because it is sucking more air. the whole idea of more power is as simple as more efficient combustion, which more air (or less fuel) will help out with more efficient combustion. to a certain extent anyway.

of course, sucking cold air is better. cold air is denser, which in turn means even more air.

as for the so called ram effect. i guess there is such thing. but most people just assume that if they stick the pod in an open area at the front of the car, they will achieve a ram effect. this isnt so. what the ram effect is is when the air is compressed due to it forcing itself up against a panel or maybe even the windsreen. so you have something like this...

air toward car ---> * <---- air bouncing off panel /// <- panel

so you have air moving toward the car. and air bouncing back (so to speak) of a panel. which in turn compresses it at the point where the asterisk is (*) which is where you should place your pod, or your inlet to you cold air setup.

i hope that helps you out a little. it is now just a case of how far you want to take it.

something to think about though is a premade shieled pod & silicone hose setup. they are less than $150 and they will do the trick. i have attached a picture. i can get them for about $125.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2003, 10:06PM »
oh, as for the legality of it. the EPA (environmental protection agency) say its illegal because a pod will increase emmisions as they are an oil based filter.

they probably havent tested this theory. the emission are probably lower due to more air & better combustion.

but if you dont want a defect nitce from the police. hide the pod. if they cant see it. you're fine. as it has to be enclosed too.

Offline jimsair

• Got rice?
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2003, 10:30PM »
damn tree hugging hippy crap >:(

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2003, 09:35AM »
so its still illegal ...if it is enclosed in a box.... ? but if they cant see it then ....its ok...prob wont get fined but still illegal?

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2003, 10:32AM »
yeah, still illegal, but you wont get fined. most police officers probably wouldnt even be aware of the fact that pods are illegal for for the emission rule. but some are. but if they cant see the pod you are right, even though it is still illegal, as police have no right to search your car. (which includes looking behind the front gaurd for a pod) :P

Offline jimsair

• Got rice?
« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2003, 04:32PM »
got a drop in k&n filter on the way, if i run some plastic tube into the front bumper somewhere whats the best way to get the air flowing from the tube into the airbox, in other words what the easiest way to attach it

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #14 on: Mar 21, 2003, 06:34PM »
get 2" flexible hose & jam it in the stock hole. well, not so that it hurts the k&n.

otherwise, get a piece of metal, cover the stock hole, and then cut a slightly smaller than 2" hole somewhere that is easily accesible for the piping & you'll have a nice snug fit.

Offline jayjay

• antrx.com senior member
  • TRXXX
    • featured
« Reply #15 on: Mar 21, 2003, 11:25PM »
hehehe , or ya can do like i did on my old S12 silvia  that had a CA20E and take the lid of the air box and use a ocky strap to hold the filter in ,  works well and you can here it suckin
Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But If I win, I take the burger AND the TOY. To some people that's more important

Offline jimsair

• Got rice?
« Reply #16 on: Mar 22, 2003, 12:09AM »
Yeah actually, i was reading something about that being done to a us sentra, they held the filter in with a rubber band did 10 runs across the quarter and on average it ran like .3/sec faster. crazy.