Author Topic: intercooler fitment problems.  (Read 3431 times)

Offline fez200

• antrx.com full member
  • BARBIE AIN'T HERE..!
    • RAW4x4
intercooler fitment problems.
« on: Mar 5, 2007, 08:16AM »
has anyone installed a big FMIC on their attesa.

i had one fitted a few months back now and the problem im having is that the section of pipe that goes from the end tank of the IC to the intake of the engine is sits about 2 inches from the ground at the front and I've had to replace this hose twice due to scraping out on bumps etc...

ive had a look at the section and there doesn't seem to be a lot of room down there to modify it.

anyone with ideas or have a pic of there setup ??
God gave man a brain and a penis and only enough blood to operate one at a time.

Offline LUP15

• antrx.com senior member
  • formerly DIGITOBI
Re: intercooler fitment problems.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 5, 2007, 12:50PM »
im guessing that you're not using the stock piping hole that goes through the chassis? im looking at the pic of my car with the bumper off and i cant see much other options than what you have done if you want to do something different.

any other options will make the piping far too long and costly. the best i would suggest is to route it through the stock piping route.

do u have a pic of what you have done?
Project LUP15 <-- Click Here      ||      If you're an enthusiast in QLD or anywhere else, support it --> Lakeside Raceway

Offline phreeky

« Reply #2 on: Mar 6, 2007, 10:04AM »
I'm tempted to get a smaller IC and use the factory holes for the piping actually, currently got a 600x300x75 core and it is a pita - a heap of room behind the bumper for it, could probably fit a person there actually, but the piping is really annoying - mine goes all the way around to the sides past the fog lights and pushes the bumper out a little, quite annoying.

Mine is painted quite a dark blue, so barely noticable, so might not look too bad if I were to shift it to one side and at least utilise the hole in the chassis for the throttle body side at least. Given the turbo side also goes all the way around, it would not make the piping on that side any longer anyway, so shorter and more straight forward run without hanging low is a good thing!

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #3 on: Mar 6, 2007, 11:47AM »
got any pics phreeky?

edit: nvm found some on your website :) did you have to cut away any metal or is it pretty basic?
Project LUP15 <-- Click Here      ||      If you're an enthusiast in QLD or anywhere else, support it --> Lakeside Raceway

Offline phreeky

« Reply #4 on: Mar 6, 2007, 12:37PM »
Definately no cutting, I aint touching my chassis with a cutting tool! :)

The drivers side piping is a little different than those pics now, but much the same. It's only 2" piping, but then that's the diameter of the turbo outlet and the inline to the stock piping where the BOV is located, so meh. Plus that's more or less how it was when I bought the car, already had that intercooler fitted.

The other advantage I might have of moving the IC to the drivers side more is possibly catching some rammed air at the passenger side to feed into an enclosed filter. But we'll see...

Offline phreeky

« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2007, 12:51AM »
http://www.clubpoint.net/bluebird/?path=intercooler - that's 2" piping due to using existing holes in the chassis, that old IC sucked

edit: in case ya didn't realise, i ditched the idea moving the IC and just got a new one only 450 wide, fits soooo much better
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2007, 12:54AM by phreeky »

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2007, 12:41PM »
nice work. is that piping 2" ID? u got some bling now hehe

Offline phreeky

« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2007, 02:56PM »
yeah 2" piping - with 2" turbo outlet, any bigger on that side is silly IMO, and 2" on the throttle body side fits through the stock hole and joins to the stock piping where the stock BOV bolts onto (although my BOV is blocked off anyway, you get the idea though).

i'm just having major dramas with the car though.........i'm 95% sure i have no leaks (i can pressurise the intake, block it, and release minutes later and the air rushes out - holes pressure fine), it cold starts + idles fine, cruises fine, but idle when hot is hunting terribly (think almost stalling to 1500rpm or so, back and forth on its own), and it sounds like it's making boost but makes very little and goes nowhere. i gotta go over and double check all the sensors and stuff, especially AFM, maybe i stuffed the plug from unplugging it so many times. will throw consult on it tomorrow.

anyway the new intercooler is so much better looking than the old trashy one, the piping is heaps shorter and with less bends too. i'd like to redo the piping from turbo->i/c at some point, but it'll do for now. the mounts i made are pretty hardcore - can hold the i/c and shake the car around it's so sturdy! :D

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2007, 04:41PM »
yeah those mounts look solid. did you make them up?

regarding your idle, is the car misfiring at all or just not making boost? double check your vacuums lines. my vac line to my bov wasnt sercured properly so the car would drive fine one moment, then splutter and misfire. really sucks when its something like this as it can be difficult to find.

did this start after you changed ur cooler?

Offline phreeky

« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2007, 04:46PM »
yeah made the mounts, out of aluminium. nice a light weight, plus the bottom one helps more air through the radiator too (that's the theory anyway)

the problem was there before i changed the cooler, but a few days before that i did fiddle around in the engine bay. like said i've pressurised the whole intake, no leaks at all, that's what has me stumped as it's typical intake/boost leak symptoms - i guess a fault sensor is my next "hope", consult should let me know that easily enough.

i really hate cars sometimes

Offline Counterpunch

« Reply #10 on: Apr 4, 2007, 01:23PM »
I upgraded mine to a 450x300x75 I/C.  Used the standard 2.25" piping that goes through the chassis.  Let me tell you 3" to 2.25" hose reducers are difficult to find and expensive once you find them.  I/C fits perfectly without any dramas or modfications to the car.  I had to make 2 mounts, one for the top and another for the bottom to secure the I/C.  However the hose piping would have been strong enough to hold in place.  From my experience the easiest I/C upgrade.
RNU12 Bluebird SSS Attesa
HNU13 Bluebird SSS Attesa Ltd

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • sth. oz local moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #11 on: Apr 4, 2007, 02:04PM »
I Managed to fit a 600x300x75 cooler in with the standard piping, the joins are a bit rough in the pic but we tidied them up.

http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php?topic=10342.msg195220#msg195220
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline phreeky

« Reply #12 on: Apr 4, 2007, 03:34PM »
Used the standard 2.25" piping that goes through the chassis.

2.25" or 2"?!?!? the outlet of the bit that bolts to the turbo is 2", and the standard pipe before the throttle body is 2" so i just assumed the whole lot was originally 2" (my car had a new i/c when i bought it, never seen the stock setup).........???? why would you go turbo->2"-2.25"->3"->2.25"->2"->throttle body - changes in size are bad.

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #13 on: Apr 4, 2007, 04:37PM »
hehe phreeky poor you not having seen the stock setup :P the plastic pipes sorta taper (stock reducers..), so they arent 2" all the way and instead get bigger going towards the stock intercooler (i think stock intercooler has 2.5" in/outlets?) but yeah im sure they taper...

jimmy? you did all the measurements didnt you?
« Last Edit: Apr 4, 2007, 04:39PM by LUP15 »

Offline Counterpunch

« Reply #14 on: Apr 4, 2007, 10:15PM »
Yup!  Did all the measurements before I started the upgrade.  The stock I/C is 2.25" in and out but expands pretty quickly.  The pipe that goes through the chassis is 2" but grows to 2.25" to meet the I/C.  Its not that bad of a design but the whole up and down sizing of the intake piping is just a pain as you have to get so many reducers everywhere.  In all its probably one of the better locations of I/C's compared to where they placed them on other Nissan cars.

As for fitting a 600x300x75, man that must of been tight!  I measured it up and I could not fit one between the headlights.  I either had to move the cooler lower and not use the stock piping or split the headlights further apart and still not use the stock piping.  The size I bought is sufficient.  One end is cold and the exhaust end is hot so its cooling efficiently.
RNU12 Bluebird SSS Attesa
HNU13 Bluebird SSS Attesa Ltd