Author Topic: Oils + Fliter.  (Read 8034 times)

Offline Wolf In Sheep’s Clothing

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
Oils + Fliter.
« on: Sep 6, 2006, 03:58PM »
Hey.

I'm going to do an little service on my U13 Attesa on Saturday. Just wanted a suggestion of oil to use and also what oil filter I should use.

I don't want to walk into a store and ask for a Bluebird Attesa oil filter cause I know they will give me one for a KA24de bluebird. So is the filter the same as any other sr20 powered car or different, cause apparently the oil filter for the s14/15 Silvia's is different than the filter for the s13.

Anyway help would be nice, I hope I haven't confused anyone yet.

Also oil suggestion would be nice and should I use that oil flush stuff? Also I may as well do a fuel filter change while I'm at it is there any specific fuel filter I should buy?

Cheers
Written off HNU13 Atttesa, PM me for part requests.

Offline fez200

• antrx.com full member
  • BARBIE AIN'T HERE..!
    • RAW4x4
Re: Oils + Fliter.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 6, 2006, 04:47PM »
you can use an s14/S15 oil filter. same motor. its a bit of a bastard to get to fit the filter too. unless anyone else has a better way.

I'd use Mobil 1. ive used it on my turbo cars and never missed a beat.

For a fuel filter use the one from a 200sx, i tried to fit the one that the repco guy told me would work and the end fittings were too small.
God gave man a brain and a penis and only enough blood to operate one at a time.

Offline beejay85

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #2 on: Sep 6, 2006, 04:57PM »
yeah agreed he filter is a bitch to get off..i had to undo my powersteering fluid thig (:|) which made it heaos easier to get off. As for the oils, i m using the motul 4100 power...but i just went to autobarn and the guy i was talkin to knew exactly what i needed and he knew a bit about the car, so maybe i was just lucky, but thats what id be doin.

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #3 on: Sep 6, 2006, 05:10PM »
i have used motul 8100 and found it to be a better oil than the mobil 1, the mobil 1 lost viscosity after 1000kms...... not a good oil, good for NA but cant handle the heat of the turbo.

i havent had a prob with the filter in mine, use some sandpaper to undo it and also when the car is cold not hot or you will burn yourself. it will undo easy with the sandpaper and then just manouvre it out

the filter number from nissan is 15208-53j00 and its the same for the N14 gtir, S13 silvia, U12 and U13 SR20DET's, dont use a s14 or s15 one as they are different, although they may appear to mount up all the same they may flow different so not advisable to use
« Last Edit: Sep 6, 2006, 05:21PM by Craazy »

The Time Has Come To Battle It Out To The Death... SR24 vs KA24

The bluey must be revived to Life!!

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #4 on: Sep 6, 2006, 05:31PM »
Thanks guys. Especially you Craazy, I knew there was something different about the s14/15's oil filter. What oil viscosity should I be using e.g. 15w50

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #5 on: Sep 6, 2006, 08:31PM »
nissan recommends 7.5w35, i know wierd numbers but the closest we can get without going to nissan for it is 5w40 or 5w50, either of those in some motul or similar will be perfect, but just as a rule dont use anything that costs less than $55-$60 for 5 litres as it wont be up to the job of a turbo :)

Offline UB02EZ

• UB02EZ
« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2006, 10:01PM »
Stick to the recomended filter and use Shell helix full synthetic, Its a grey bottle around $60. My mechanic is a race car engineer and thats what he uses on all his cars.

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2006, 10:05PM »
shell oil is like there fuel now..... absolutely crap. oly used there oil once and the car ran like crap. had less power and felt like it was straining to turn over when starting. when i changed from optimax to bp i noticed a difference straight away.... the fuel filter doesnt get clogged in 2000kms. it takes nearly 10,000kms to start to develop the symptoms of a clogged filter

Offline phreeky

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2006, 11:59PM »
the issue with the s15 oil filter is more than flow - the thread is slightly different and can work its way loose, and you don't want your oil pressure taking a sudden dive while you're driving around.

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2006, 03:42PM »
I did my oil change over a week ago now.

I used Pennzoil 5w40 fully synthetic and I made sure to get the correct oil filter. The attesa runs very well on this.

The u13 attesa oil filter is in quiet an annoying spot, iv got fairly big hands so they can't fit down there very well. But I did devise a very good way of getting the filter loose if it is as tight as mine was. Keep in mind I tried all of the different methods iv herd around the place.

My method,

Get a hose clamp, large enough to fit around the oil filter, the kind of clamps that have a little screw you use to tighten them (I believe there called norma clamps). Tighten it around oil filter, once its tight with the screwdriver you used to tighten the screw sitting on top of the screw tap the screw driver with a hammer, thus loosening the oil filter, you may have to loosen the clamp and re position every so often. So far iv found this the best method of removing an oil filter.

Offline phreeky

« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2006, 04:38PM »
yeah it can be a little tricky, i always do it with the engine warm so the oil drains better, i run my arm inside an old pair of pants so i don't get burnt, loosen the filter, and try and flip it upside down then take it out so i don't spill all the oil out - that's the hardest part of the whole operation imo.

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2006, 08:35PM »
hehe, same thing i do phreeky, works at treat but most times i need the sand paper to do it too

Offline Loop

• Token Old Fart
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Old and busted ...
« Reply #12 on: Sep 19, 2006, 01:04PM »
shell oil is like there fuel now..... absolutely crap. oly used there oil once and the car ran like crap. had less power and felt like it was straining to turn over when starting. when i changed from optimax to bp i noticed a difference straight away.... the fuel filter doesnt get clogged in 2000kms. it takes nearly 10,000kms to start to develop the symptoms of a clogged filter

Clogged fuel filter is more of an issue with the place that sells it rather than the fuel itself. 

The main thing I noticed (and still do) with Optimax is the amount of black crap it leaves on your bumper.  The gang over at the XR6 forums call it Optisoot :)

Check the viscosity of the oil needed by your engine, you'll find that Helix Ultra is way too thin.  Castrol Edge synthetic is rumoured to be pretty good, Motul stuff would be $$ but worth it.  I've also used fuchs semi-synthetic and it too is a pretty good drop, good value as well.
209rwkW stock ... yes, it's a U12!!

Offline bluesr20

« Reply #13 on: Sep 19, 2006, 05:47PM »
Hi All

I have a Valvoline V070 (Z445) oil filter which I haven't fitted yet.  It says on the box that it fits a 200sx 10/94-02, Bluebird 2.0L EFI Turbo (some) 1996-, Silvia 2.0L EFI & Turbo SR20DE, SR20DT 10/93-98, etc.

Have I got the right thing?

The one that's on there at the moment (fitted by previous owner) is a Ryco Z442.  I haven't been able to get the bastard off yet.  Will try the methods that have been recommended.

I've been using Castrol Edge Sport 5W-30 and it seems to be fine.  Produced 133kw at all 4 with that oil.

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #14 on: Sep 19, 2006, 09:01PM »
i think both of those are very similar but cant be 100% with out seeing them, i little hard without having orginals and newys next to each other

Offline phreeky

« Reply #15 on: Sep 20, 2006, 09:40AM »
no no no! don't use it!

i'm pretty sure thats the S15 one with the wrong thread, which work themself loose over time! if that happens, your engine wont be very happy!

get Z442 no matter what. i use the ryco ones and always have, hadn't had any problems.

Offline bluebird

• new kid on the block
« Reply #16 on: Sep 24, 2006, 04:47PM »
Just a thought on oil.
Why not use the special blend stuff that comes direct from nissan dealers.
its 7.5w30 and is semi sythetic.
It only costs around $25 and I have been using it on my attesa for 5 years.
If its good enough for 350z and 200sx from the manufacturer you would think
its o.k for u13 attesa.
I have found that mobil 1 goes black and shitty after 500 km and not worth the money.
I have used castrol and found no benefit.
All the fully synthetic oils are a bit too thin my opinion. 7.5w30 is about the lowest I would go.
My car has done 130,000km now so I am not sure about putting any thinner than that.
Second choice would be martini racing oil.

I suppose it is one of those things.
Every one you speak to will have a different opinion.
My rule of thumb is new oil every 3,000 km and new filter every 6,000km.
Has worked for me over the life of this car.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 25, 2006, 12:56AM »
mobil 1 goes black and shitty after 500 km

Oil is there to get black and shitty. It does so to keep the inside of your engine nice and clean. Mobil 1 obviously has better detergents in it than the other oils you've used, so it picks up more crap off all the surfaces inside your engine.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #18 on: Sep 25, 2006, 12:58AM »
Yeah I always find it quite humorous when people judge the condition of the engine by the colour of the oil.

Offline Marty

• west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • *no car :(*
« Reply #19 on: Sep 28, 2006, 08:06PM »
I find it humourous people when people think they own a race car and have to have the "Best" oil they can afford, I use Castrol Edge 5W-30 and whatever filter super cheap have :) Started using them purolator filters. If you change your oil every 5000K's does it really matter if its not the best?  (flame on)
Wanneroo (Barbagallos) short track time 63 seconds (58 - Evo) long track 79 (69 - Evo)
Mods - Bosch 910 fuel pump, Nismo 555cc injectors, Z32 AFM, USB Bikirom, Full Whiteline Handling Kit, DBA Rotors, Tomei Poncams + GT2871. (174ahkw)

Offline bluesr20

« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2007, 07:58PM »
Hey, found and used the perfect tool to remove the oil filter today.  It has a long screw and a metal band at one end.  You simply place the band around the filter, screw it tight from the top and then turn to loosen the filter. EASY.  Picked it up at Supercheap for about $4.50 (25% off sale).

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2007, 10:06PM »
*thread digging continued*
yea i got my hands on one of those long ago. is there actually enough room to use it on the SR? the oil filter location sure as hell isn't pretty looking like the KA.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2007, 11:11PM »
yeah i use one of them on the sr... it JUST fits. getting the filter out sucks when the engines hot... lots of swearing involved lol
Project LUP15 <-- Click Here      ||      If you're an enthusiast in QLD or anywhere else, support it --> Lakeside Raceway

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2007, 11:25PM »
swear words are good for making things come out. thats the spirit son.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5

Offline Marty

• west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • *no car :(*
« Reply #24 on: Feb 26, 2007, 07:55PM »
I've never needed to use one
I always, as in for the past 6 years, just hand tightened the filter, never once had a leak. Easy to get on and off too.
Wanneroo (Barbagallos) short track time 63 seconds (58 - Evo) long track 79 (69 - Evo)
Mods - Bosch 910 fuel pump, Nismo 555cc injectors, Z32 AFM, USB Bikirom, Full Whiteline Handling Kit, DBA Rotors, Tomei Poncams + GT2871. (174ahkw)

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #25 on: Feb 26, 2007, 08:08PM »
depends how fat ones hands are.

Offline nitrouz

« Reply #26 on: Oct 2, 2007, 01:24AM »
my attesa ONLY runs Fullly synthetic Royal Purple in EVERY component in my car that uses oils.. engine, gbox, diffs, everything.
engine visc oil is 10w40.
Royal Purple, although stupidly expensive, offers the best protection possible. Royal Purple's lubricants are up to 700 percent stronger than other synthetic oils.
the proof is here in the results of their testing: http://www.royalpurple.com/techi/whyrpi.html

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • sth. oz local moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #27 on: Oct 2, 2007, 02:19PM »
Dig up #2. However, while were on the topic, I have just switched to the factory nissan stuff, seems to be doing the job just nicely. Has anyone got a good reason not to use it?? It's pretty cheap.
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #28 on: Oct 2, 2007, 07:21PM »
How cheap mate?  Did you buy from a dealership?
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • sth. oz local moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #29 on: Oct 2, 2007, 10:53PM »
Yeah, I get it from the big Nissan Dealer in Adelaide. It says Nissan on it. 7.5W 35 I think. It's the oiil they recommend for the engine so I don't see how it can be a problem. I think it's only $29 for 5 litres.
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"